Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChest

close grip bench press3803

DETERMINED1 private msg quote post Address this user
Went crazy on some close grip bench on Monday...

My upper chest was mad sore?

Is this exercise known for its effect on the upper chest?

I thought it was mainly for triceps
Post 1 IP   flag post
Delts sore too
Post 2 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
well unless you were doing Close grip at an incline then no....although close grip does give help with the middle of your chest...Their are some who say oh no it doesnt but shit man you can feel for your self...tell my does the middle of your chest feel extra sore or no???? also yes makes sense your delts are sore...as far as mainly for tris...it is...but its also a compound workout...so ya your gunna feel it in other places then the tri. Oh and if your tris feel like they didn get a work out from it...Most likely they were positioned wrong...did you keep your tris tucked in at your sides through out the ROM????
Post 3 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
where did u position the bar?
Post 4 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
If you were bringing the bar closer to your neck than usual it would pull upper chest fibres into it more, like a guillotine press.

Or it was because you don't do this exercise often. I find that with any exercise I do for the first time in a few weeks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yes elbows tucked all the way to the side and yes I felt my tris too but not as much as my upper chest and front felt

I bring the bar down right to the bottom of my chest
Post 6 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
i feel it more in the triceps if you use a suicide grip -- no fingers just palm on bar (srs)

must not be afraid of death if you want big muscles ;] (notsrs)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Isn't the reverse grip bench known for its effect on the upper chest?

Cuz its the exact same motion but different grip

http://www.hivehealthmedia.com/build-better-chest-reverse-grip/
Post 8 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey man,

My guess is that your shoulders are not as far back as they can be. Try pulling your shoulder blades together and having a bit of an arch in your back - that should take the strain off your shoulders and chest, and make it a tricep dominant movement^^
Post 9 IP   flag post
340752 9 9
destitute