Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestInjury Recovery

queston for EK3798

Wbauman private msg quote post Address this user
Or anyone else that "knows". Was reading the thread about chest definition and EK says incline hits the chest more. Doing flat bench hurts my shoulder. Would I see any negative effects of not doing any flat bench. Dumbbells do not. hurt as much so that's what I've been doing instead of barbell. Incline does not hurt at all.

Shoulder never hurts otherwise. Thought maybe I had a injury but took time off and no change. No other exercise affects it but flat bench.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Try moving your hands in on the barbell before completely giving it up.

Saying "Incline is best for chest" is an huge over simplification.
Post 2 IP   flag post
BrettDaniels private msg quote post Address this user
Figure out why it hurts. Fix it, whether its your form, flexability, or some other problem; maybe switch to pushups for while.
Post 3 IP   flag post
knockout2281 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey man, I've been dealing with a similar problem. I think the issues is that when doing flat bench with a barbell, the grip cause a lot more weight to be loaded onto the outside of the shoulder. Doing dumbbell bench will still result in gains as you are still hitting that muscle so if that's what your looking for you should be ok. I still want to get my bench up to a respectable number so I've been augmenting my form slightly. Try pulling your shoulder blades together and shrugging your shoulder up when on the bench. This helps focus the weight more on the chest and less on the outside of the shoulders. I tried this yesterday and the decrease in pain allowed me to add about 20lbs to my bench. Give this video video a watch, helped me out a lot.

EDIT: Also, this pain is most likely caused by weak points in your rotator cuff. So it'll help to start throwing in small exercises to strengthen and warm up the rotator cuff before you hit chest or shoulders.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I have been doing rotator exercise and seems better. I'm an old man so I kinda expect to hurt a little.lol

I can flat bench 245 for reps I think that's respectable for my weight. I could do more but shoulder hurts. Funny thing is it used to be my right for years and now all of a sudden its cured and its my left.

I tried the pinching shoulders together and that also helped the pain but pulled a muscle in my back doing it and walked around looking goofy for a week.

I agree with getting problem fixed but it never bothers me no matter what I do unless its flat bench.

DWATT I tried moving my grip as I used to use a wide grip and that also helped. Everything seems to help but always hurts to some degree.

Thanks to all those trying to help.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbauman
I have been doing rotator exercise and seems better. I'm an old man so I kinda expect to hurt a little.lol

I can flat bench 245 for reps I think that's respectable for my weight. I could do more but shoulder hurts. Funny thing is it used to be my right for years and now all of a sudden its cured and its my left.

I tried the pinching shoulders together and that also helped the pain but pulled a muscle in my back doing it and walked around looking goofy for a week.

I agree with getting problem fixed but it never bothers me no matter what I do unless its flat bench.

DWATT I tried moving my grip as I used to use a wide grip and that also helped. Everything seems to help but always hurts to some degree.

Thanks to all those trying to help.

My next recommendation is supplementing with some glucosamine, 1000mg a day.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Already on it. Take a daily, fish oil and glucosimine.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Damn.. You are old then... lol jk man. Just play it safe, it'll get better with time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Yeah you young bucks got it made. Be 41 this year.

Was hoping it would clear up like the right on. It hurt for year's and one day gone.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Reps for being the oldest (known) member of SS
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry... Was in class. To answer OP, I know several bodybuilders who do not flat bench at all for the same reason as you, and I've read that this is also the case with IFBB pro Lee Priest. You don't necessarily "need" to flat bench, although I built a good overall chest doing it nearly exclusively. Different paths to similar goals. -EK
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks for the reps.

Told my wife I was going to work out and lean up until she couldn't keep her hands off of me. Gonna be at it for a while.lol

I'm sure there are some old farts on here. They just won't admit it.

Glad you guys are here for support and advice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Or anyone else that "knows". Was reading the thread about chest definition and EK says incline hits the chest more. Doing flat bench hurts my shoulder. Would I see any negative effects of not doing any flat bench. Dumbbells do not. hurt as much so that's what I've been doing instead of barbell. Incline does not hurt at all.

Shoulder never hurts otherwise. Thought maybe I had a injury but took time off and no change. No other exercise affects it but flat bench.

Thanks

LULZ!!!! Not to a start no Thread Battle...But pretty sure EK said the COMPLETE opposite!!!! Bwahahahahaha WTF...........

Mind still Blown

But Ya man my shoulders are tender as well and dont like to do Flat bench near as much as I like inclines...BUT I have been lifting heavy on bench lately by doing the following things....One I do three sets of Front raises and lateral raises with like 10s to warm up...Two I brought my grip in just a bit...the wider the grip the more strain you will feel on the shoulder its self...
Post 13 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks for the reps.

Told my wife I was going to work out and lean up until she couldn't keep her hands off of me. Gonna be at it for a while.lol

I'm 38 - is that old fart status?

I told my wife I was going to work out and lean up until other women couldn't keep their hands off of me. Gotta keep the wife on her toes ya know?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Quote:
Thanks for the reps.

I'm 38 - is that old fart status?

I told my wife I was going to work out and lean up until other women couldn't keep their hands off of me. Gotta keep the wife on her toes ya know?

haha how'd she take it?

Also, im 39 years old
Post 15 IP   flag post
Just kidding guys, i seriously turned 20.5 today though. - No joke.
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Swayz87-- reread my thread. I said inclines may hit the entire chest more, but hey do not hit the "upper chest" to the exclusion of the rest of it. -EK
Post 17 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
Riiiiiiggghhhttttt ; )
Post 18 IP   flag post
340764 18 18
destitute