Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestPlateau Busting

Just need a little bit of help3795

Dza private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, long time SS reader, first time poster.
So im starting to feel im plateau-ing on my DB bench press.

Is there anything you recommend doing?

A quick look at my stats im
5 foot 11,
arms:14inch
Chest:42inches
shoulders 48inches
waist 30inch,

and i can give you more if you want.

My current db press is 2 warm up sets, then 1 set of 42.5kgs then drop set to an excercise ball and 25kg db press there. Next set 45kgs. drop set as before. All reps on the heavy are 8-10 and my drop sets are around 10-12.

Any advice would be great!
Cheers. Dza
Post 1 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Hey welcome to the forums.

Not sure why your just focusing on bench :P

But first i would recommend starting and actual split.. I've never seen anything entailed with what you have provided above.

What is your actual goal? Just increase your bench? Or something bigger.

If your wanting to just increase your bench you need to work to achieve overall myofibril hypertrophy. Work in the rep range of 3-5.

Also, work your legs.
Post 2 IP   flag post
thanks man!
i have a full 5 day split with a full leg day in there, squats are deffently a number 1 along with deadlifts.

My overall goals are purely fitness based as i do to many sports to have a bodybuilding physique.
i want to get slightly bigger in my arms and get my body fat percentage to around 7% constant.

i just posted about this particular excersise as i feel its the only one im pleateau-ing atm.

on a chest day ill do bench (db and flat), incline(db), negative flys, cable flys, weighted cable ball push ups and an inner chest excersise.
But honestly in a few years when i hit my peak i wouldnt mind being a fitness model just for the asperation of the potensial changes it has on peoples lives!

Thanks again dwatson
Post 3 IP   flag post
Would you be willing to quite your current split and go to a different one that has worked wonders for I and along with many other members on these forums? I am actually training through the guy who created it. PHAT.

I not only saw significant size increase, but also strength. Worked wonders for me.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like you're doing too much for chest. You could start by dropping the "inner chest" movement, and removing the drop sets. Straight strength training for a month or two would work wonders. -EK
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Sounds like you're doing too much for chest. You could start by dropping the "inner chest" movement, and removing the drop sets. Straight strength training for a month or two would work wonders. -EK

I think working just the inner chest is fine..... - Pun intended... lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yours or hers? Lmao! -EK
Post 7 IP   flag post
ive read that PHAT training article 3 or 4 times! loved it haha,
The thing ive struggled with on those programs is the rest days,and thats the reason i cant't completely stick to it, for the allowed 38? hour rest period a muscle needs for recovery before it should be worked again?
Heavy set hypertropy makes complete sense (especially for legs) would you recommend doing the full split? keeping in mind i train outside of gym 6 days a week.

And ek- do muscle adjust to long periods of over training if done constantly?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Well if you work outside the gym and have access to the equipment necessary yes i would recommend it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes in this sense, because it's not overtraining. -EK
Post 10 IP   flag post
340762 10 10
destitute