Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Tell me PHATers, don't your shoulders take an absolute bollocking on this programme?

i feel like my back takes the most beating.

...and my shoulders, arms, chest and legs.
Post 26 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
My nipples are hurting from Phat
Post 27 IP   flag post
xlGrimlx private msg quote post Address this user
Legs got crushed from the first week of PHAT, rest isn't too bad though.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Week 1, Day 5, Lower Hyper Day

Speed Squats, 6 sets, 5 reps, 30 sec rest, 190lbs
V-Squats 8-12: 140, 160, 160
Press 12-15: 270, 270
Extension 15-20: 130, 115, 115
SLDL 8-12: 235, 235, 235
Laying Curl 12-15: 110, 110
Seated Curl 15-20: 100, 100
Stand Calf Raise 10-15: 270, 270, 270, 270
Seated Calf Raise 15-20: 110, 110, 110

Week 1, Day 6, Chest/Arm Hyper Day

Speed DB Press, 6 sets, 5 reps, 30 sec rest, 70lbs
Incline DB Press 8-12: 65, 55, 55 (Don't know why, but I was straight up WEAK! Speed sets kinda got me)
Hammer Chest Press 12-15: 140, 140, 120
Inc Cable Flys 15-20: 30ea, 30ea
Preachers 8-12: CamBar+50, +30, +30
DB Concentration's 12-15: 30, 30
Spider Curls 15-20: 40, 40
Tri DB Overhead Press 8-12: 45, 45, 45 (Should've gone heavier)
Rope Pull Down 12-15: 40, 40
Cable Kickbacks 15-20: Forgot to write down!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
skullay private msg quote post Address this user
JJ, why are you doing your speed sets with 5 reps?
Post 30 IP   flag post

I guess because I thought the suggested 3 reps at my weight wasn't enough??? Are you doing 3?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Yeah. I do 3 explosive reps. I try to pick a weight so that by the 6th set I can still do them fast but I'm slightly winded.

I'd keep your speed DB press at 70 lbs, but just do the 3 reps.

I can't lie, though. It does feel funny doing only 3 reps of something so light.
Post 32 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
The idea is not to increase weight or reps but to increase speed. -EK
Post 33 IP   flag post
Yah I completely understand the intent, and I feel like I was still pretty explosive throughout the sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullay
I can't lie, though. It does feel funny doing only 3 reps of something so light.

Hahah kinda what was going on in my head.

I will stick to the plan and stay at 3 next time. Maybe I should quit being a baby and increase my 3-5 rep max's!!!
Post 34 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Do you time your reps? Like either get someone to use a stop watch or video them and time them yourself? -EK
Post 35 IP   flag post
No I didnt, Ill try it next time
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Do you time your reps? Like either get someone to use a stop watch or video them and time them yourself? -EK

Wait? Even if your 3-5 Max is moving up, the speed work is supposed to stay relatively at the same weight?? You're only concerned with increasing how fast you can do these sets??

If so, I've been approaching these wrong, too.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I took it that every week you do your speed work based off of that weeks power movements...so if your max's go up, so would the speed sets?

right?
Post 38 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
If the set up is the same as, say, Westside (or another strength routine) in terms of methodology, you should be focused on increasing actual speed. Since you're working off of 5 pound goal increases per week in 1RM, that's only 5 pounds on your speed work every other week. Honestly, most of the athletes I've coached don't do their speed work fast enough to tart with (they think they do, but I say nay nay!), so adding weight isn't an issue. When you can move the bar with weight as fast as you move an empty bar, move up. -EK
Post 39 IP   flag post
Sounds good to me!!! Thanks for the input. Stay tuned I have a video that needs critiquing
Post 40 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
If the set up is the same as, say, Westside (or another strength routine) in terms of methodology, you should be focused on increasing actual speed. Since you're working off of 5 pound goal increases per week in 1RM, that's only 5 pounds on your speed work every other week. Honestly, most of the athletes I've coached don't do their speed work fast enough to tart with (they think they do, but I say nay nay!), so adding weight isn't an issue. When you can move the bar with weight as fast as you move an empty bar, move up. -EK

Reps this clears it
Post 41 IP   flag post

Alright, so today I went for a 295lb bent over row. I stood up a little straighter then I usually do, and I kinda got a little full body jerk effect to complete the rep which I am not all that pleased with.

So the question is, should I keep this weight and try and hone in the form, or am I not ready for this weight and should I drop back to 285lbs where my form is a hell of a lot more fluent and crisp?

As always gentleman, it's a pleasure to serve with you...
Post 42 IP   flag post
clickable text

heres a link to youtube if that vids not showing up properly
Post 43 IP   flag post
It showed up for me... Idk what to tell ya man, i mean imo form was sacrificed for weight, but on power days for some lifts i do sacrifice form ( towards the end of my sets/reps). I do however; make sure on Hyp days form is always > the weight.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Ya thats kinda what I am getting at. I know that form sucked the big one, but the weight was moved. Tell me though what didn't you like about it, the posture or the part where my body almost collapsed under the weight??? haha
Post 45 IP   flag post
You shouldn't need to jerk, if you are its your momentum doing the work not your lats man
Post 46 IP   flag post
OH BOO YOU!!! Well it was worth the last set today... Ill come back in a couple weeks and try it again!!!
Post 47 IP   flag post
So I finished week 2 of PHAT. I didnt increase the weights this week, for some I even lowered it bit. I was more concentrated on making sure I had good form and rhythm throughout all my lifts. I also focused a lot more on the negative side of my lifts to make sure I was "laying it all out there".

Even though I didn't move up in lb's, I did however get more reps out of each set. So if last week I was getting 10 reps in on an exercise, this week I was getting 15, so that was a nice small victory.

I can't say I am really feeling any effects of the test booster I am on. I contribute that to either one of two things:

1.) it's only been 2 weeks
2.) I'm only 25 and shouldn't be on a TBooster to begin with.

I still weigh 220lbs which is ok. I am trying to stick around that weight but lose some body fat and build some muscle. I am realizing that my couple month long 'bulk' wasn't very well done as I gained bf, most of which seems to be in my gut and not that much muscle. Oh well, live and learn...get em next winter.

I got some recent pics for you guys. The one of my back isnt all that flattering, I'm chalking that up to the loose fitting tank top. Trust me when I say my love handles arent that big!!! Have a good rest of the weekend, stay safe amigos

[/img]

[/img]
New Outwork Tank Top...chea!!!

[/img]

Remember this, I am 6'4. If you were standing next to me in these pics, I'd look much bigger
Post 48 IP   flag post
Looking good man, I saw you tweet layne about the new shirt, looks sweet!

Don't worry about always going up on hypertrophy days, I have plenty of days I don't move up.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Yah Im not too worried at all. Im in the mindset that Id rather do 20 reps with good form and speed as opposed to 12 sloppy as throw it up there reps.

The tank was only $14, free shipping, came in 2 days!!!
Post 50 IP   flag post
roccafella private msg quote post Address this user
bro, Might be late to comment but that bent over row 295 lbs thing wasnt that great. your lower back was not tight so its of no use.. My coach always blast me to keep the lower back tight. Thats an advise.. dont want to annoy you
Post 51 IP   flag post
340620 51 26
destitute