Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Chest

Decline dumbell press3603

TriggaTony private msg quote post Address this user
What is the beneficial aspect of doing these?
I was told that their is no real purpose besides just boosting your ego lol
Post 1 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
decline takes more strain off your shoulders and triceps and more on your chest. Also i believe it hits your lower chest more, many people would argue against it but thats my belief.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Would it help increase my chest strength by working out my lower chest? I have a goal of being able to rep 315 and weighing at 185 lbs
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
Possibly strengthening your chest at every angle could have an affect yea but it would be best to do majority of exercises on the angle of your target press so if you want to flat bench heavy id do alot of flat exercises
Post 4 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
im sure theres a study i think ek and even ethan linked in a thread before that shows that decline db press recruits the most muscle fibres in the chest. correct me if im wrong.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DETERMINED1 private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mark4.htm

yates said that decline works your entire chest not just your lower chest in one of his videos...but idk how true that is decline is great regardless
Post 6 IP   flag post
freshcutz private msg quote post Address this user
For u not to incline ant decline movements in your chest routine is a mistake, you want a full looking chest ... skipping decline is like having a cheat meal consisting of 500 excess calories once a week and believe ur making progress .... idiocy
Post 7 IP   flag post
AustralianOak private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah Yates highly recommends the decline bench press and i cant really feel it working the lower portion of my chest but i can feel it working the middle chest. A great way to utilize the decline is to pre exhaust.

-AA
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to bench more, stop with doing all kinds of angled work, don't worry about what works your chest more, and train your bench. Lifting for power is not like lifting for size. Find a good powerlifting routine and go from there. Inclines and declines are a water of your time if what you're concerned with is strength. -EK
Post 9 IP   flag post
ectomorph94 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
If you want to bench more, stop with doing all kinds of angled work, don't worry about what works your chest more, and train your bench. Lifting for power is not like lifting for size. Find a good powerlifting routine and go from there. Inclines and declines are a water of your time if what you're concerned with is strength. -EK

What about from an aesthetic bodybuilding perspective? I definitely feel like it has a significant effect on muscle hypertrophy.
Post 10 IP   flag post
AustralianOak private msg quote post Address this user
@ ectomorph94 Aesthetics is having the right proportions and the right amount of size, so i dont think aesthetic bodybuilding is any different from normal bodybuilding.
Post 11 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
learn to floor press correctly.
Post 12 IP   flag post
drakula private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

I disagree, you can only train your bench so much in a workout. Maybe you can START off with regular bench to put in 100% oppose to ending with it at 60%/70%/80% but working different angles does help not only to shape your chest but to improve strength in different areas of it. Regular bench only covers so much of the chest, thus incline and decline, flys, etc are used.
OP- i recommend doing your workout regularly then adding in a decline bench press at the end of your chest workout as an "extra" workout, therefore, even if it doesn't do much you will not lose any of your regular gains. I have been doing this recently and my chest seems to be showing some good gains.
Post 13 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i personally don't agree with the strictly bench idea for strength either, the bigger the chest.. the stronger the chest will get.
Post 14 IP   flag post
powerlifting style benching is far from a chsest movement. its s fullbody movement. incline and decline pressing will do next to nothing for your bench. benching heavy itself/speed benching/floor pressing/close grip benching and even flat db pressing and standing ohp(according to jim wendler) will help your bench go up. even things like barbell rows will help.
correct me if im wrong ek
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Not trying to be a dick here, but how many of you guys have benched three times your body weight? My response had nothing to do with building more size or a better "looking" chest. I told the OP if he wants to increase strength- and I said ONLY strength- to stop using those other angles. Size of chest has absolutely nothing to do with strength. That has to do entirely with joint strength and CNS adaptation. How else do you think I was benching in the 400s weighing under 145 pounds? No powerlifting routine uses inclines to help the bench press or leg presses to help the squat. If you want to increase a lift, you increase that lift.
Drakula- I'd advise brushing up on your anatomy and physiology- you don't strengthen parts of the chest to the exclusion of others by changing the angle.

Popeye, you're correct. -EK
Post 16 IP   flag post
drakula private msg quote post Address this user
you were benching 400+ at under 145 pounds?

and sorry, i guess i stand corrected
Post 17 IP   flag post
seansm10 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustralianOak
@ ectomorph94 Aesthetics is having the right proportions and the right amount of size, so i dont think aesthetic bodybuilding is any different from normal bodybuilding.

he never said they were different lol, thanks though wikipedia
Post 18 IP   flag post
Is there a power lifting routine you can give me to try EK? That's impressive for someone to bench 400s weighing at 145 lbs
Post 19 IP   flag post
yup look through the threads to find eks westside barbell routine
Post 20 IP   flag post
Alright thanks, I just found it and ill give it a try
Post 21 IP   flag post
340617 21 21
destitute