Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1BenchChestProgress PicsProgress UpdateTraining Log

THE DETERMINED1'S SEMI-EPIC QUEST TO 3153579

DETERMINED1 private msg quote post Address this user
THIS IS CONTINUED FROM THE previous thread

set a new pr the other day so im continuing my progress log that died...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Right on man. FYI, get some music playing! Nothing pumps you up more then your favorite song blaring!

Good luck bro

i had cut down to 166 in january and am now around 183 in the morning. i weighed myself at 186 at night. i have never weighed this much before without extra water weight from creatine so im pretty happy with that. surprised my abs are showing a little bit...i still think i would like to gain more weight...190+ would be awesome.

Post 1 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Dude - keep it up man!!

Looking good! Awesome proportions! Great veins on that left bicep too! haha
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12
Dude - keep it up man!!

Thanks!
That's the right one tho somehow ... It's a trip how Mirror pics are backwards
Post 3 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETERMINED1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12
Dude - keep it up man!!

Thanks!
That's the right one tho somehow ... It's a trip how Mirror pics are backwards

Haha - yeah, I always get confused...
Post 4 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Good job man!! Your bulk is going solid!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
My guess is you can easily already do 315+. I'd work on your form. Widen your grip just a hair, keep your shoulder-blades tighter and squeezed together, drive with the heels of your feet- your currently up on your toes, getting no leg drive.

-EK
Post 6 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Nice dude!!! Except no one knows how much weight you put up haha
Post 7 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
My guess is you can easily already do 315+. I'd work on your form. Widen your grip just a hair, keep your shoulder-blades tighter and squeezed together, drive with the heels of your feet- your currently up on your toes, getting no leg drive.

-EK

I've been trying to work at this.. its been hard to squeeze the shoulders and get my legs under me.. just not used to it..
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yeah, benching for power is a totally different technique than benching for hypertrophy. Def. takes practice! -EK
Post 9 IP   flag post
@dwatson 295...should be in the title of the video

@eknight lol i got all excited and my feet were dancing around.i have watched all the "so you think you can bench" videos and now this one and i will continue to improve form but i mostly have trouble with the leg drive...years of doing it all wrong doesnt help
Post 10 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@eknight lol i got all excited and my feet were dancing around.i have watched all the "so you think you can bench" videos and now this one and i will continue to improve form but i mostly have trouble with the leg drive...years of doing it all wrong doesnt help

Good way to break that habit is to always use the powerlifting form, even if you're just warming up with the bar. No matter how much I practice it though I know Dave would find 20 things I'm doing wrong.

oh and IN!!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Dexdbest private msg quote post Address this user
The Determined one is looking awesome
Post 12 IP   flag post
pressed the 110 dbs yesterday for 6 reps pretty well...
then when i dumped them one bounced on my toe cuz im an idiot...
we dont have 115's at my gym the next weight is 120 ... should i attempt? or is that too much of a jump and i should just get 10 reps out of 110 first before i make the jump?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'd stay at the 110s. Remember, you don't have to increase reps, you could slow them down as well. -EK
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'd stay at the 110s. Remember, you don't have to increase reps, you could slow them down as well. -EK

ok ya ill try that
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You'd be amazed how "heavy" lighter weights seem when you use a 4-1-4 rep timing. -EK
Post 16 IP   flag post
david12345676 private msg quote post Address this user
in for this cause i think determined is a funny dude, also i want to see how it goes. hey op what was the song name that playing in your vid there? boondock saints opening ftw.

GL BRO!!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
love lost in a hail of gunfire by bleeding through....saw them in concert a few times...IT WAS AMAZING! and painful
Post 18 IP   flag post
so i have started wendler's 531 routine and upped my cals to 3500 again cant wait to make some gains....

i replaced deadlifts with pendley rows as well

the basic layout of week 1

Post 19 IP   flag post

the 265x10 should translate to a pr of 353 1RM so at next week i will see how my heaviest squat goes and update my max from there after "de-load" week...
Post 20 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Quote:

-EK

I've been trying to work at this.. its been hard to squeeze the shoulders and get my legs under me.. just not used to it..

its extremely hard imo to keep the shoulder blades pinned back when you dont have someone launching you.
Post 21 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

the 265x10 should translate to a pr of 353 1RM so at next week i will see how my heaviest squat goes and update my max from there after "de-load" week...

determining your 1rm by how many you did another weight by in terms of reps is not the most surefire way.

http://www.westside-barbell.com/westside-articles/PDF.Files/06PDF/Things%20You%20Should%20Know0606.pdf

"You cannot determine a 1-rep max from a rep max. Why? Men and women possess different muscle types. The more fast twitch, the worse one will be with reps because they hold less oxygen per cell. Someone who has an abundance of slow twitch fiber will have greater endurance
because they can’t contract the muscle as intensely. In addition, a novice cannot use as much muscle fiber as an advanced lifter.
Every one should know that HIT (high-intensity training) is really low-intensity training, by looking at the intensity zones. High intensity is defined as 1 to 2 reps at 90% and above. Doing 8 or
more reps is low intensity. When doing high repetitions, you produce less force with each rep. When lifting 300 pounds in the bench for reps, each successive rep has less force. If you go to failure and miss with the 300-pound bench, it should be obvious that the missed rep produced less than the 300 pounds of force. This system builds muscular endurance in a fatigued state."
Post 22 IP   flag post
seansm10 private msg quote post Address this user
reps for gif in first post. in on great thread!
Post 23 IP   flag post
HDstoked private msg quote post Address this user
Good Luck kid. We all remember that first 315 bench. Three 45lb plates on each side. Take three days off from all lifting then try it. Explode! C'mon! Damn I feel like i'm spotting someone lol. Again, good luck. You'll probably do more than 315.
Post 24 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Sigh @akk it's an educated estimate that is quite Accurate. Nobody claims it's exact. Simple guideline.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@AKK hence the reason i have not updated my 1rm or training max yet based on this lift just simply used the formula provided by jim wendler to give a general idea of progress being made.

not sure if your familiar with the 531 program but next week i should be working with 95 percent of my "training max" and this should be a much more accurate indicator of strength gains.

that article looks pretty interesting tho thanks for sharing
Post 26 IP   flag post
@seansm10 i posted that video on a log i was doing on bbcom and that gif was the reacton i got so i thought it was worth re-posting lol

@HDstoked ya man thx for the support...ek said that he thought i was already capable of hitting 315 and im beginning to think he is right but i want to be very very sure i can hit it before i try... especially since my barbell is bent at home and i will have to do this at the gym. i guess you cant be afraid to fail right ... i should probably just go for it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Just weighed myself first thing this morning at 186. Feelsgoodman.jpg
Post 28 IP   flag post
HDstoked private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah man. You're gonna be surprised. I don't think you can "fail". The big picture...you're training hard and smart. Whether you get it now or in the near future. Its a given...315 is goin UP.
Post 29 IP   flag post

we started a little fitness competition at my gym this week made up of three parts and today was the 1rm portion... and yes it was overhead press instead of bench press so i didn't attempt 315 but it was fun more than anything...new pr on squat and deadlift.

oh and look above wendler's formula said my pr was 353 when i did 260x10 and i squated 245x1 grinding it hard so i think that the forumla is incredibly accurate regardless of what akk says especially since it was used on a 10 rep lift. if you have a smart phone go download the app for wendler's calculator.

and couple days ago i rowed 205x5 ... used wendler's formula to update my new max to 240 so thats a pr as well...

feels great....and painfull...VERY GOOD WEEK!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340764 61 30
destitute