Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Kyle0910 private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished my first week of PHAT this past Friday and I love the power/hypertrophy split. My only problem is that i've never really lifted for any strength gains before, its always been for hypertrophy so i'm unsure of how much weight I should increase by each week or do I just increase my reps until i reach the highest number of reps that I can go to (5 according to many power lifts on Layne's program) and then increase the weight. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Especially Dwatson since hes working with Layne now.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not DWat, but am I allowed to answer? -EK
Post 2 IP   flag post
Haha of course your allowed to answer. I love all the advice you've given on this forum that I've seen from you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Personally, I would attempt to increase 5-10 pounds per week to start. Obviously that will eventually plateau, so then you stay at that weight until you can bust out 6+ reps on a workout, and then go up. So, for example on bent rows:
Week one: 185x5/185x5/185x4/185x4/185x4
Week two: 185x5/185x5/185x5/185x5/185x4
Week three: 185x5/185x5/185x5/185x5/185x5
Week four: 195x5/195x5/195x5/195x4/195x4

...and so on. -EK
Post 4 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle0910
I just finished my first week of PHAT this past Friday and I love the power/hypertrophy split. My only problem is that i've never really lifted for any strength gains before, its always been for hypertrophy so i'm unsure of how much weight I should increase by each week or do I just increase my reps until i reach the highest number of reps that I can go to (5 according to many power lifts on Layne's program) and then increase the weight. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Especially Dwatson since hes working with Layne now.

I really just kinda felt it out....

I mean if by the end of Rep 5 you felt you could do more??? go up. If your on set 1 and you do MAX 5reps I would move up in weight. You should then not be able to do 5 reps but less. Continue this pattern until you are able to lift at MAX 3 reps.

If you got 5 reps on ANY of your last sets..I would then do that weight as your first set next time and use the method above to progress again till you are only able to lift MAX 3 reps.

When you come back to a weight you did 3 MAX reps Previously its east to tell if you should move on you will be able to do another rep atleast.

Example: Bench

Week 1
Set 1 250 x 5+ (+ meaning at Rep five you could of done rep 6)
Set 2 260 x 5
Set 3 275 x 3 MAX (you barely got that 3 up no way you could of done 4 reps)

Week 2
Set 1 260 x 5+
Set 2 275 x 4 (increased the weight because Set 1 you could of done more then 5)
Set 3 280-285* x 3 (increased the weight as you did 4 reps in set 2)
(* I added this astric because i put 280-285 as 280 would mean you added 2.5s and 285 means you went up 5lbs each. I dont really believe in only adding 2.5s to weight. I add 5lbs only. 2.5s are for the most part useless IMO)

Week 3
Set 1 275 x 5
Set 2 285 x 4
Set 3 290-295* x 3

You can pretty much see the pattern here.....If you cant well one you might be ruhtarded and two just ask if somethin is not clear. This is how I ran my phat program I have been doing for quite sometime now. I also experienced either increased reps or weight on about every exercise. I def experienced increases on all Major lifts! By this I mean ONLY on power days..hypo days I didn measure gaines in weight.
Post 5 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Hey man, sorry was at the gym lol

For hypertrophy day, its almost like the first few sets shouldn't be too hard, like almost 'this feels to light'. My rule of thumb i wish i would've learned when i did run it the first time was take ALL sets -2 of failure.. If you do 8 and feel like you have 2 more in you.. stop.

Key- last sets all go to failure, even if you beat the threshold. The following week go up weight But always shoot for the rep range on all sets.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Hey man, sorry was at the gym lol

For hypertrophy day, its almost like the first few sets shouldn't be too hard, like almost 'this feels to light'. My rule of thumb i wish i would've learned when i did run it the first time was take ALL sets -2 of failure.. If you do 8 and feel like you have 2 more in you.. stop.

Key- last sets all go to failure, even if you beat the threshold. The following week go up weight But always shoot for the rep range on all sets.

He was talking power days ya silly kunt!!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Haha my bad guys.

You just need to judge man. If you hit the 3-5 rep range and your on the higher end, start your first two sets with the same weight and increase by 5-10lbs the next few sets
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ok thanks a lot guys! All the advice is great! Had to lower a couple things just cause I was going to failure throughout but it was a great workout in my opinion. Felt great. I love this program! Went up a bit in DB press so that's great. I love lifting heavy! Just sucks to never have a training partner.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ok so just wondering why there is no barbell bench press in PHAT? And also I can't seem o get a good mind muscle connection with my back and my back is not sore the next day after training. Any tips? I try to take all arms out of the equation but I just don't do a good job.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I sub barbell bench for DB's for 4-6 weeks. 2 things you can do for back- either pre-exhaust with cable pullovers/pulldowns or use a tad less weight and really slow your reps so that you can get a better stretch and concentrate on squeezing your shoulder blades together (3-1-3 rep timing). -EK
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ok thanks a lot, I'll try both of those next time I do my back and yea I figure that would be a good idea. Does your strength in barbell bench go up simultaneously with your DB press strength?
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Me personally, no. In general, yes. -EK
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle0910
Ok so just wondering why there is no barbell bench press in PHAT? And also I can't seem o get a good mind muscle connection with my back and my back is not sore the next day after training. Any tips? I try to take all arms out of the equation but I just don't do a good job.

Lulz quit wondering why so much!!! hahaha but SRS for the back thing...Really I just lifted HEAVY as I could an thats all I concentrated on! I made 45lb gains on back doing phat man....

Now Hypo day is the day you wanna work toward a hella nice pump and really get that super mind to muscle connection. Power days not so much..Not near as important IMO.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ok thanks. And yea I know I'm worrying too much but I just want to get everything right so I get the gains I can. I'm just a little concerned about that cause I don't eat as much as I'm supposed to cause I don't buy my own groceries due to the fact I live with my mom cause I'm 18 and work a minimum wage job and it's hard for me to eat right. And she doesn't make a lot of money so can't buy real good stuff I need.
Post 15 IP   flag post
So just an update after my first week of PHAT I have gained 5 lbs. didn't think that was really possible but maybe I just weighed myself wrong or at a bad time. My diet throughout the day is solid but if I find out I'm not getting in enough calories or protein I'll have like 3 mcdoubles just to push me over my maintenance. Maybe it's all just Fat. Regardless, I love the program!
Post 16 IP   flag post
340735 16 16
destitute