Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChest

Would anyone like help with their bench?3203

Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
I may as to this point be known as a retard on this forum, but there's actually a few things I'm very good at; bench press analysis, force analysis, bench press training and stuff. Here's two threads where I help people on another forum, however they are on swedish. I don't know if its possible to run them in google translate, but just let me know if anyone's interested and I can translate them. I may not do 400 lbs weighing 100 lbs or whatever EK does, but I was an extremely analytic lifter when I was active a year ago, and did therefor do twice my bodyweight in a sanctioned competition (132.5 kg weighing 65.8 kg) while being 18 years old and did it in training while being 17 years old, despite having pretty bad angles for benchpress and a rather low BMI for competitive competition.

Here's the links:

http://www.kolozzeum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179645

http://www.kolozzeum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178640

I did help alot of people on those forums, but I've grown to despise the general population there because of their inbreed attitude towards anything else than powerlifting. Anyway, have a nice day.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user

-EK
Post 2 IP   flag post
Noone wanting help or advice is fine, you don't have to be a bitch about it
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You're kidding right? The forum has a world class bench presser on it, with multiple national and regional titles to his name, who YOU- for no reason whatsoever- decide to talk down to ("weighing 100 lbs or whatever EK does", and you start a thread about helping people get their bench better? Because you've doubled your bw? Half the people here have doubled their bw, lol. Then you finish your post with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
grown to despise the general population there because of their inbreed attitude towards anything else than powerlifting.

Why would anyone want to get advice from someone who starts a post touting how great he is (news flash, you're not a very good bench presser, you're above average; double bw is pretty common) and finishes it insulting people? You don't see me starting a thread about how to make asinine videos do you? I leave that to the people that do it best (ie, you)!

Either way, no one was bitching- I put the tumbleweed pic there because this thread is a charisma vacuum- no one posted in it. Wonder why? -EK
Post 4 IP   flag post
Are you kidding? Who's the world class bencher? You? Are you trying to actively help people get better and help prevent injuries? Yes? No? I wasnt talking down about you, I was referring to the fact that you lift very very much compared to your bodyweight, so whats up with the butthurt?

I wasnt touting shit, I was just saying that despite me being a retard in general there is one thing in life I've decided to learn alot about and want to help others with.

And I dont insult people, as in powerlifters, I merely said that people on that forum were being really wierd towards anyone except powerlifters. For example, if some newbie comes in on that forum and want to get big or ripped, the advice is always like "EAT ALOT, DOESNT MATTER WHAT, AND WORKOUT TO GET STRONG." and anyone that doesnt agree gets flamed to hell

but you know, If noone wants help thats not really something thats gonna keep me up at night so whatever
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Are you kidding? Who's the world class bencher? You?

Look at my numbers. They'll give you something to shoot for. When my warm-up weight is no longer your max, come talk to me about world class benching.

Quote:
Are you trying to actively help people get better and help prevent injuries? Yes? No?

Absolutely. I've taken the time to answer very specific questions from several members in PM and the forum about these exact topics, and I didn't have to start a "look at me" thread to do it.

Quote:
I wasnt talking down about you, I was referring to the fact that you lift very very much compared to your bodyweight, so whats up with the butthurt?

For someone who looks like they weigh about 125 pounds soaking wet, calling another lifter "100 pounds" comes across as condescending. You're no massive giant yourself there.

Quote:
I wasnt touting shit, I was just saying that despite me being a retard in general there is one thing in life I've decided to learn alot about and want to help others with.

You actually said, "but there's actually a few things I'm very good at; bench press analysis, force analysis, bench press training and stuff." Sounds like you're pretty high on yourself there for some pretty average- but not "very good"- numbers.

Quote:
And I dont insult people, as in powerlifters, I merely said that people on that forum were being really wierd towards anyone except powerlifters.

No. What you said was that they had an "inbreed attitutde." Why would anyone here want your advice if they are to believe- by your own past actions- that if they disagree with you, you will either flame them here or move to another forum and do the same? What business, looking for new "clients" slams it's previous clients?

Rather than making people post up stuff to feed your already massive ego, why don't you just start a thread that includes all of your vast knowledge on the topic, then ask for follow up replies. You act like you have some special secret about benching that you're willing to share only if someone comes to you and asks, "please sir, will you help me?" Ridiculous. I've been involved in seminars on how to bench better with some of the strongest guys and girls in the world (Nick Hatch, Tina Rinehart, Scott Mendelson, Gene Rychlak) and none of them come across as arrogant as you do. -EK
Post 6 IP   flag post
I really hope I don't come across as arrogant, humility is something that really is something thats important to me, and I think that you misunderstand what I'm writing. Please calm down I didn't question your world class benching, I was actually wondering if you were referring to yourself, as that was something relevant to the discussion.

Regarding the other things, I don't think the results are the prioritized things to talk about. Your results may (MAY, as far as I know) just come from good genes or long, good training. What I wanted to say with my statements were that I think my bench came from not good genes, or good angles, or long periods of training. I wanted to say that despite of a lack of good genes, good angles or a long time in the sport, I got good, because of analysis and such, which is very much transferrable to others.

Also, I did post my "vast" knowledge in the two links, and I was hoping someone would actually take the time to look at the original content and the replies and form an opinion wether it was worth it for me or not to translate all of it, as it is really alot of text.

So what I'm trying to say, even if someone benches 50 lbs weighing 220 lbs, they can pretty much still say to a flatbenching big guy that they would maybe bench more if they used an arch. And that they would be less prone to injury if they pulled their shoulderblades together. I'm not saying I have shit to say to people who are any better than I am, I am just saying that if any beginners or such or anyone else have any questions, I will make a serious effort to answer their questions. Fair?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The original content is in another language! For all we know you coul dbe advising people to eat dog crap to get their bench up, lol! My points stand. You look ridiculous in the manner you posted this. -EK
Post 8 IP   flag post
Did you read all of the original post? Google translate does a good enough job to get a good overview of the content IMO. If one would be interested that is!

That is your opinion bro I dont think its arrogant to introduce yourself as a retard with only one viable skill that he wants to share with everyone
Post 9 IP   flag post
I tried running it in google translate and it sucked... so I'll translate the first text and just hope someone find it interesting or helping

here it is:

"Putting my neck out a bit here and hope to help someone become better in bench press. When you read it you can put "I think" in front of every sentence, so noone thinks that I'm claiming anything of it is written in stone etc. This text is about becoming strong in competition style bench press.

>Attitude and priorities

Lets begin with the attitude towards bench press. If one wants to become really good the bench press have to be priority#1. Bench pressers are almost always better at bench press than power lifters mostly because of three reasons;

1.) Power lifters have more leg and back muscle mass, and therefor weigh more than a person that does only bench, given that they are identical in other aspects and from the start. This leads to that when a 200 lbs powerlifter faces off to a 200 lbs bench presser, the bench presser has more bench muscle. Maybe if the bench presser did power lifting, he might had been 220 lbs.

2.) Successful powerlifters usually get alot of their total result from squat and deadlift, because they two together brings up the total alot more than the bench. You lift more in the two, and they two together use about the same muscle. Successful bench pressers are good at... bench

3.) Bench pressers prioritize, thats right, bench press. We put bench press as the first exercize those days that is bench days, and we dont do squats or deadlifts in such a manner that its disrupts the bench, for example by burning our CNS or get DOMS in the lower back and so forth.

More than prioritizing bench, you have to be good at bench. Big + for teenagers and such as being strong in bench is regarded as very cool and manly, and also in adult life in some ways, as some people still seem to think that bench press power is the absolute measurement of force, strength and physique in general. Also some people think that your bench press results determine your fighting capability. All of this is a bonus, because it makes a difference between being a good bench presser or being good at painting toasters or making butterknives; we get glory and such! That itself is enough for many. Except for that we also have the joy of breaking personals records and getting phat triceps

As earlier mentioned its important to prioritize the bench. You do that partly by doing it first every bench work out, not doing other exercizes at the wrong times during the week, and by doing alot of bench. Depending if you do bench 2 or 3 times a week (general recommendations), I think one should do 12+ or 8+ per work out, 12 if you do bench twice a week, and 8 if you do it three times a week, and then complements after this. About half at pre-competition or pre-PR-lifting periods, if you do such things. These workouts can eat up alot of time, it wasnt rare for these 12 sets to be a 100 minutes, at rare occassions, when I had to rest for the sets to be not only possible, but easy and goodlooking, it took me over 2 hours. But this is no reason to cut back on complements. Military press, pullovers, dumbbell press, pushdowns, side raises and in some ways dips are excellent ways to complement your bench muscles. These will make you steadier, stronger and bigger. You might otherwise miss some muscles, get underdeveloped shoulders and such and eventually cause injury because some odd muscles have become really weak. I think rows and latspulls and such are also very important, aswell as biceps and forearm training.

The mental attitude towards the bench workouts is something I find personally to be very determining. If you'd for some reason forget that today is bench day, lie in the couch until 5 minutes to 6, to suddenly remember it and rush down to the gym, you are not well prepared. If you'd want to not train today, and have to drag your ass down to the gym unwillingly, the work out most likely will not be very good. I was personally a bit extreme when it came to rituals and preparations and such, but you should do whatever works out best for you. This is very important; if you know something works, do it. If you know something that will make you less successful; dont do it.

Random stuff many does wrong

If you wanna bench good you should bench as the best do. If you get an opportunity, look at Stefan Jamroz's raw benches, which is the best I've seen in real life. Me and him often talk about bench press and we're friends, so I might be bias, but thats my opinion anyway.

The things lifters do to bench alot all coordinates. You dont just arch to get a shorter way to lift and better angles on your elbows in the stop position, you also do it so that your legdrive isnt an empty airhump; instead it drives the force into the bar. You dont just pull your shoulder blades together and down under your body to not injure yourself, but also because it helps the arch and makes it possible to have your elbows more outwards but still directly under the bar, as you want to hit as low as possible, preferebly half an inch below your nipples. There are different lifting styles, small but very relevant differences between them are noticed. Some meets the bar using their diafragm, some let it sink into their chest, and some meet with a hard chest. Which one you should use depend on your strength and weaknesses, and you should look into this.

Do you know why you bench less with pause? It has with movement energy to do. It may seem unlikely that even though the bar completely changes direction at the chest, its easier lifted if it never stops. This partly comes from the spring in the bar, and this causing a whiplash effect upwards. This is especially noticable with olympic bars and american softbars. There are lifters that benches more with pause, but thats because they are used to it and if they would train without pause they would soon become alot stronger that way. It is however possible to train up almost as good a strength as in the touch and go bench by using pinpress, dead bench, who kills the bar energy, and forces you to brute force the weight."

That was about a tenth of it... also have some good training programs, descriptions of good exercizes, injuryprehab and rehab, and so forth. Let me know if anyone is finding this anything but horseshit
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Well....at least that's a start. -EK
Post 11 IP   flag post
Good enough, I'll translate another one tomorrow!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
Could either of you guys help me increase my bench weight? Ive never been able to get it over 100 and really would like to....

What type of training exercises and techniques should i use?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Have a read. I laid it all out. http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/3210/eknights-modified-westside-barbell-routine/

-EK
Post 14 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

And I dont insult people, as in powerlifters, I merely said that people on that forum were being really wierd towards anyone except powerlifters. For example, if some newbie comes in on that forum and want to get big or ripped, the advice is always like "EAT ALOT, DOESNT MATTER WHAT, AND WORKOUT TO GET STRONG." and anyone that doesnt agree gets flamed to hell

That's because 99% of newbies who ask for help have terrible diets and won't see results unless they EAT. I lifted weights for 2 years and then trained 1 year for high school football and I barely saw any progress. I looked better than most kids my age, but unless you saw the numbers I was putting up you'd never know I lifted a pound. Guess why...because my diet consisted of cookies. IF ONLY SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME TO FRIGGIN EAT, I would be hyooge today
Post 15 IP   flag post
Corkey can you put up 2-3 vids of you benching from different angles? it would be helpful so we (or I, depending on if EK also want to help), can help you with technique. Do you know if you have an olympic bar or a powerlifting bar? How often do you train bench, and how do you do it? As much of a description as possible is good

Christf I really hear what you're saying, but what I meant is like on that forum they would actually not be against eating cookies, "doesnt matter what" is no joke. The most loud ones on that forum (which is the ones newbies listen to) are all skinny phat and they eat cookies and stuff, thinking that "as long as I eat enough calories I'll get big", so actually the advisors there would be to no help to your younger self, know what I mean?
Post 16 IP   flag post
340762 16 16
destitute