Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestNewbieSplit AdviceTraining Programs

How much to lift?3154

sumdudeonline private msg quote post Address this user
First I apologize if this is answered somewhere else but there seem to be A TON of threads lol. So I'm just starting up and the way I've always normally worked out is 3 sets of about 8-12 reps trying to max on the last reps of the last set. Also I was told in High School that you should avoid maxing out too often, so what my weight training coach would have us do is "towel bench" (thick towel on your chest to lower the bar to) on mondays, legs on wednesdays, and regular bench on fridays. It's been a while since high school but it was something like that. Now it seems to me that regular bench once or even just twice a week isn't nearly often enough to bulk up your chest (I'm just using the chest as an example by the way, my question applies to all muscle groups). What makes the most sense to me is a muscle group every other day but I would like some confirmation on that before I either destroy myself or underwork myself. If working a muscle group every day isn't a bad idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
I would hit a muscle group once a week, you can get away with twice for smaller muscle groups like calfes+ biceps etc but really i'd train things once a week.

TRAINING= stimulation for growth
REST= growth+recovery
Post 2 IP   flag post
Okay, thank you for the advice. How many sets and reps per set would you recommend? I've looked at a number of different ways you can lift as far as sets and reps and how much resistance and all that. For working out a muscle group once a week will any apply and I just choose my preference (or alternate to not get too routined) or are some things better suited for multiple times per week? I'm sorry for such long winded questions but I'm hoping this will reduce the amount that you'll need to tell me as well as keep people from being too vague lol (that may be counter-intuitive but it makes sense to me ).

Thanks again for a such a quick response I was really expecting this to take at least a few days for anyone to respond.
Post 3 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
For compound lifts (squat, DL, and bench) go heavy. I recommend pyramid sets, 5x5s or 5x3s, or 5/3/1. For the other lifts higher reps (8-12 or even as high as 15) are fine. Feel free to mix and match there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdudeonline
Now it seems to me that regular bench once or even just twice a week isn't nearly often enough to bulk up your chest (I'm just using the chest as an example by the way, my question applies to all muscle groups).

In general, 1x per week per muscle group is fine. You say you want to improve your chest -- well a big part of a great chest is big lats so you gotta work your back too. I would keep a balanced split (one muscle group per day per week) unless you plan on competing in power lifting or unless you plateaued on one of your 1RMs. The other alternative to consider is something like PHAT which is like an advanced A/B split where the same body part is worked more than once per week.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Awesome thank you, and I'm assuming by 5x5's and 5x3's you mean 5 sets x 5 or 3 reps. Thank You very much for the tips, I think that answers my specific questions but anything else you want to say I'll read and consider.

Josh
Post 5 IP   flag post
340762 5 5
destitute