Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestNewbie

Is dumbbell bench press same as Barbell BP2951

DinFer22 private msg quote post Address this user
hey guys i just wanted to know if i do dumbbell bench press and incline dumbbell bench press, will i still build muscle the same speed as doing barbell bench and incline? Is using dumbbells same a barbell or is there a diffrence. Which one is better to build muscle?
Post 1 IP   flag post
hurricane92 private msg quote post Address this user
Dumbbell actually recruits MORE muscle fibers, so some believe it builds muscle faster. Others feel that since you use more weight, barbell builds more muscle. Personally, I like to use a combination of both, but I definitely feel it more with dumbbells.
Post 2 IP   flag post
oh ok. yo @hurricane92 do u twist your wrist 90% when you press it up, or do u just puch it up and bring it down? And when you push the dumbbell up do you bring them close to each other, or just straight up?
Post 3 IP   flag post
No, I do not do that, I keep my wrists at a very slight angle, and go down and then back up keeping them at that same angle and I bring them together, but do not clang them at the top. I usually squeeze my pects together when I do this as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
oh ok. thnx bro. quick question: i was doing triceps push down and when i was going heavy i felt more burn in my lower traps, like in my upper side of my back more than my triceps.

do you know why? i just bent my back slightly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Do you mean your traps or your lats?
Post 6 IP   flag post
yea my traps. do you know why???it was ov a v bar
Post 7 IP   flag post
DETERMINED1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane92
Dumbbell actually recruits MORE muscle fibers, so some believe it builds muscle faster. Others feel that since you use more weight, barbell builds more muscle. Personally, I like to use a combination of both, but I definitely feel it more with dumbbells.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mark4.htm
Post 8 IP   flag post
so can, you guys tell me what am doing wrong with the tricep pushdown?
Post 9 IP   flag post
You may have your shoulders rolled too far forward and have your arms out too far in front of you, causing you to feel a strain in your upper back/traps. I'd try keeping my elbows at my sides, and working on better form with less weight. Just my opinion.
Post 10 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You may have your shoulders rolled too far forward and have your arms out too far in front of you, causing you to feel a strain in your upper back/traps. I'd try keeping my elbows at my sides, and working on better form with less weight. Just my opinion.

This is probably right.

However, it's imposible to say what u doing wrong without seeing you do a set of push downs. Watch a number of videos and clips explaining exactly how to do the movement - then make adjustments until you feel all the work on your triceps
Post 11 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I've made the most gains in terms of overall body mass going heavy on barbell bench.

Quote:
Dumbbell actually recruits MORE muscle fibers, so some believe it builds muscle faster.

It is possible this is true regarding the pecs but my hunch is that bb bench press done with powerlifting form recruits more muscles throughout the body. For example, it is much easier to recruit your lats to move the bar upward initially when using a barbell. This comment is based purely on personal experience.
Post 12 IP   flag post
But in terms of muscle fibers in your chest, its been proven that dumbbells recruit more. However, @mikew, you are right that heavy weight on a barbell does recruit more overall muscles from the body. I think it is just personal preference as to what somebody uses, either way when done properly, they'll achieve good results.
Post 13 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @hurricane92 here. I stick to DB presses.

If were going for overall muscle activation, mise well do deads... lol but i think for the presses he's looking best overall for he pecs. Therefore i would go with Dumbbells.
Post 14 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
The article that @DETERMINED1 posted (http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mark4.htm) states that leg press recruits more muscle fiber in the quads than squats. But obviously if you want strong legs you're better off doing squats than leg press.

At the end of the day there are advantages to both exercises. BB bench can build a strong foundation so that when you db bench you can lift more weight. However, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to build a strong foundation without bb bench. That's why I'd make it the cornerstone of your chest workout.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
db press cus its safer and feel it way more
Post 16 IP   flag post
yea guys i just finished chest workout. DAMNNNNNNNN i love dumbbells now!!!!!!!!! I feel it more.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340630 17 17
destitute