Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingCuttingDiet AdvicePHAT

From Cut to Bulk2892

FurrReal25 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys,

First and foremost this is my first post here. A little background on me: I have been working out for roughly 3 years and only in the past year have gotten to a stage where I was serious about it. As a result of an injury last September and some other circumstances I ended up having to take off about 5 months from the gym and my diet went to hell. When January came around I was back on track to start lifting again but after 5 months out I was back at square one. I started Gethins 12 week cut program at the end of Jan @ 186lbs and 19% BF (Im 24 and 5'-10".

Just finished with some good strength gains (For a cut) and got down to 172lbs and 12.6% bf. I didn't feel like I cut as much as I'd like but I didn't really but enough effort into the cardio. Regardless, I am looking pretty good and feel like cutting anymore before I start bulking would just be a waste of time.

After a week off resting from those last 4 weeks of intense DTP training (for those aware of Gethins 12 week its pretty rough) I am starting back today. I plan on a little light weight training until Monday and then running a PHAT routine.

Based on my macro's I need to consume roughly 2587ish cals/day to maintain and 3083cals/day to gain roughly a pound a week. I don't know if these numbers are correct but I was using http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_gain_calculator.htm to calculate the numbers. I want to bulk until next January my goal to get as close to 195lbs as possible while minimizing bf% increase so when I cut in again in January a goal of 7$ or 8% bf would leave me in the 182-183 range.

My question(s) are pretty straight forward. Is this a good time to start bulking or should I try to shed a little more? If its a good time to switch up, is PHAT a good route or should I be trying to add more mass/strength before I go that way? If not PHAT which routine would be better for me? And finally, is that calculator reliable? Seemed like the way in which it factors protein is roughly 1.1g/lb which I have always factored 1.5. Also heard myfitnesspal is a pretty good way to track my calories as opposed to the livestrong/other apps. Is this true?

Thanks ahead of time!
Post 1 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurrReal25
My question(s) are pretty straight forward. Is this a good time to start bulking or should I try to shed a little more? If its a good time to switch up, is PHAT a good route or should I be trying to add more mass/strength before I go that way? If not PHAT which routine would be better for me? And finally, is that calculator reliable? Seemed like the way in which it factors protein is roughly 1.1g/lb which I have always factored 1.5. Also heard myfitnesspal is a pretty good way to track my calories as opposed to the livestrong/other apps. Is this true?
Thanks ahead of time!

If you're still at 13% body fat, my opinion would be to cut some more and get under 10%. Pictures would help better also because people hold weight differently.

You can still do a good strength routine and cut, the only thing you need to be careful is making sure your macros are in place when doing this though.

Would still recommend some cardio through out the week.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the response. I will make sure to take some updated pictures tonight. I might be lower/higher than that bf% now that it has been roughly 10 days since I had it done. Are you recommending I start something like PHAT and just continue a cut diet with cardio until I get sub 10% bf? I figured as long as I was bulking cleanly I wouldn't put on more than 1-2% bf but of course I have never had a serious bulk diet under my belt nor do I know how my body will react.
Post 3 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
PHAT wouldn't be a bad idea if you've been lifting for awhile and know how to preform the exercises correctly.

You can still gain off PHAT, incorporate cardio and still cut.

Here is layne's article:

PHAT
Post 4 IP   flag post
Finally had some time to post. Measured bf% yesterday and still at 12.6%. Going to stay on a 1600-1800 calorie diet for the next two weeks and see if I can get lower while starting PHAT routine today. Adding in cardio 3-4 times a week doing 20min sprint 8's (3min warmup, 8x 30sec hard as you can go with 90sec between to let the heart rate come down and a 2min 30sec cooldown). I usually try and up the thermogenics of it by wearing a sweatshirt or jacket while I bike as well as take Lean Green which is a green tea extract twice daily. Also, I am eating 3 meals + a post workout shake which is still leaving me a bit short on my carb/fat macros so I figured that would be good as well. I hope this will cut the remaining 2.6% which is roughly 5.2lbs.

Any thoughts?
Post 5 IP   flag post
340630 5 5
destitute