Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
DeadliftPHATSplit Advice

Deadlift Strength2437

varunj17 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All

I amde the biggest mistake when i staretd working out a couple of years back..SKIPPED THE DEADS!

Started some time back but my strength is not that great

Right now my One-rep Max is 264 lbs(120kg),.that too struggling!

I am on the PHAT program right now..On the upper body day, looking to replace rack chins with deadlifts..

HOW DO I INCREASE MY DEADLIFTS ?
Post 1 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
can squat 120kg but deadlift is awful.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
just keep deadlifting
Post 3 IP   flag post
SamGodd private msg quote post Address this user
Deads aren't a magical exercise - they're just like any other exercise. How do you increase your flat bench press weight? You keep doing it and training the muscles involved. Same for deads.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
Dude all i do is everytime i deadlift i add even the most minimal amount of weight on, it builds up your max slowly but surely
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thor private msg quote post Address this user
Take it slow - don't trade more weight for bad form and a wasted back. You want to be lifting for years to come.
Post 6 IP   flag post
BrettDaniels private msg quote post Address this user
Poor flexibility might also be an issue, so make sure your nice and limber in the hips and hamstrings
Post 7 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Rack pulls might help but perfect form is key. Watch some vids on YouTube and read some articles online. This article is pretty good:

http://powerliftingacademy.com/the-deadlift-exercise-guide/
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cupcake private msg quote post Address this user
Im the same. My Deads are not that big. I can almost squat what i can dead.. awkward!!

But stick at it, dont do crazy shit cos you'll break. 120kg is my 1rm too.
Im around 6'4" at 210lbs, i should be pullin much more..
Post 9 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
One thing that helped my deadlift alot, not DLing atm much cause I'm squatting alot was learning to explode off the ground. I mean explode with good form now not do some spine ripping crap.
It's important to have confidence in your form and to be able to explode, most people are really afraid to push on deadlift for fear of back injuries.

What Corkey said is true too, it's very easy to add even just 1.25 on each side ond deadlift and build it up.

That being said Im sure EK could tell you alot more my record was 120kg for 5 @60kg when I was doing it alot so far from elite but good for my build at the time.

Also make sure your grip is very strong, towel pullups helped me alot with my grip.

Also if you have problem locking out you should try high volume Kroc rows.

Obviously you don't have to pick up 300 pounds just try to pick a weight that's heavy for you and really pump out the reps I normally aim for 20. Alot of people who have tried this found it really helps the top half of their deadlift.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Swayz87 private msg quote post Address this user
@varunj17....FAF uhhh yaa I wouldn replace rack chins with deadlifts...would be pointless.

Do the stiff legged dead lifts like your supposed to on lower body day...I did 4 weeks of the same routine....then switched up every power lift...Went from Incline DBs to bench...changed stiff deadlifts with Regular...so if you been doing PHAT more then 4 weeks...Do that instead. Change out your stiff legged Deadlifts for Normal ones...PROFIT
Post 11 IP   flag post
thanks guys

yeah i think i went ahead with increasing the weights a bit too much...i went from 80kg to 100 and then 120..plus the barbell weight of course...and then couldn't move my back the next day..

will take it slow now
Post 12 IP   flag post
solaris private msg quote post Address this user
What worked for me is just doing 2 sets per week RPT style in the 4-6 rep/set range. Every week I tried to add more reps to each set and when I went over the 6 rep range, I increased the weights.
Post 13 IP   flag post
ectomorph94 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't do deadlifts, I've also heard that they aren't some magic exercise (whereas I feel like squats should be the cornerstone of any great workout routine). The few times I did try deadlifts I didn't feel the intensity that I do with squats or even rows for that matter...
Post 14 IP   flag post
I absolutely love deads!! Got my 4RM the other day 150kgs which is the most ive ever done and is almost double my bodyweight (85kg)
Post 15 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGymSheep

That being said Im sure EK could tell you alot more my record was 120kg for 5 @60kg when I was doing it alot so far from elite but good for my build at the time.

Very confused here, what does the '@60kg' refer to in the context '120kg for 5 @60kg'?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectomorph94
I don't do deadlifts, I've also heard that they aren't some magic exercise (whereas I feel like squats should be the cornerstone of any great workout routine). The few times I did try deadlifts I didn't feel the intensity that I do with squats or even rows for that matter...

Wow! Deadlifts will have me on my knees (and I usually do them first).

Dwatson I think he meant he maxed at 120kg 5 times weighing in at 60kg
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectomorph94

Wow! Deadlifts will have me on my knees (and I usually do them first).

Dwatson I think he meant he maxed at 120kg 5 times weighing in at 60kg

Ahhh okay.. makes since. Reps+.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Irish thats in tents dude
Post 19 IP   flag post
My strength overall isn't great tbh, I just have crazy back strength like I can row what I can squat.

Think BJJ made me imbalanced lol but Il get well rounded again.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Great advise guys...thanks

Will start with a weight I can complete 10 reps nd then 8 and then 6.. Until I get to 1...increasing the weight slowly
Post 21 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I'll tell you to gain strength....

Deadlift once a week. 3x3 + preworkout + don't be a bitch and PROFIT

SIK CUNT in four months all the bitches be mirin @ you
Post 22 IP   flag post
Mazz private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunj17
Hi All

I am on the PHAT program right now..On the upper body day, looking to replace rack chins with deadlifts..

HOW DO I INCREASE MY DEADLIFTS ?

Never done PHAT but I've read about it, and I remember Layne saying to keep Deadlifts on Lower Body power days. Also, don't do squats and deadlifts on the same day but alternate every week...
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenhiemer
I'll tell you to gain strength....

Deadlift once a week. 3x3 + preworkout + don't be a bitch and PROFIT

SIK CUNT in four months all the bitches be mirin @ you

Still wondering why you have hope strength on your back in Irish btw.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:

Still wondering why you have hope strength on your back in Irish btw.

Huh?

And keep the deads in there. Why is everyone trying to revise splits created by pros?
Post 25 IP   flag post
@dwatson the tat on Dukenhiemers back is in irish and by my Irish skills it says hope strength.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
@dwatson the tat on Dukenhiemers back is in irish and by my Irish skills it says hope strength.

Ah okay thanks for clarifying.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
You're correct!
After I graduated high school I went through really bad depression, I was hospitalized and all that fun stuff. Two years later, I'm a much better person for it.
When I was going through all the junk that was my one thought, "There is always hope." And working out became my best friend. So, I put the two together in a tattoo that meant something to me.
As for the irish part of it, I'm 100% Irish so I just chose that for my heritage sake. I've been obsessed with all things Irish for quite some time now...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Don't learnt he language anyway it's dieing so hard, no one speaks it even here.

And even if it is spoken english words are mixed in by native speakers.

Try check out early Irish history like the coming of christianity to Ireland is quite interesting.
Post 29 IP   flag post
jeeza_1234 private msg quote post Address this user
Not doing deadlifts in a workout routine is like taking a shit and not wiping yo ass.

Basically from my own experience deadlift light and like any other muscle as time goes by if your form is proper... you will increase your strength.

DeadLifts
Squat racks
Bench presses

3 keywork outs
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 39 30
destitute