Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestCuttingMisc.Newbie

Questions about a simple wager2413

BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
I made a small wager with a friend of mine to see which one of use could bench press our weight 10 times first.

He was intrigued by the bet but tweaked it to better fit with his goals. He wants to lose 50 pounds which will take him to a weight of 206.

I think that's basically fair because he'd probably have to lose 50 pounds to bench his weight 10 times anyway. (Although he says that as he loses weight, he's also going to lose a lot of muscle size and strength. I'm not sure if that's true or not but it's not really my personal concern anyway.)

Yesterday I maxed out and benched my weight for the first time. My weight right now is 209 pounds and I actually benched 210 and then upped it to 216 yesterday (thanks to some very small weights I just purchased) and benched that as well. I wasn't able to bench 220 but that would have surprised me a bit if I had. (Although probably the problem with that weight was just mental.)

So my questions ---

1) What is the fastest that someone can lose 50 pounds? Or how much time do I have?

2) About how quickly do you think a person can go from being able to bench his weight once to being able to bench his weight 10 times?

3) Do I need to gain weight in order to gain strength? (Since I've been going to the gym for the past year, I haven't really lost or gained any significant amounts of weight, but I can tell in some places my muscles have gotten bigger. Perhaps I've lost some fat although I can't tell. I don't know that I have that much fat to lose.) Obviously if I gain a lot of weight, it will make benching my weight 10 times just a little bit tougher.

4) Which do you this is easier - gaining the strength to go from benching my weight once to benching it 10 times or losing 50 pounds?

5) Any tips on increasing my bench?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hmm. Is it possible to edit the title of this post know that I've already written it?

I would change the title to "Questions about fat loss and bench pressing?"

I've seen ways to edit other posts but I don't see a way to edit this post.
Post 2 IP   flag post
seansm10 private msg quote post Address this user
you can edit titles within the 45minutes, ive done it before but i cant really say off the top of my head, look around man!
Post 3 IP   flag post
@seansm10 OK thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for that next time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Fitz28 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been making some good gains with my max by using this workout as my base chest workout 2x a week. I weigh 175lbs and my max is at 255lbs.

Starting weight use 60% of 1rm so you would use 130lbs
4 sets x 6 reps at 130lbs
increase 30lbs
4 sets x 3 reps at 160lbs
increase 30lbs
4 sets x 1 rep at 190lbs

Once you can complete this without a spot then increase 5lbs on the starting weight. Also try some negatives to get used to heavy weight.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Fitz28 Thanks. I appreciate it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
You can lose 50lb fairly fast if you don't care about muscle preservation, just cardio and caloric deficit.
How fast you can increase reps is very dependant on how long you have been lifting as well as nutrition.

As it relates to this post I just thought I would say that I can bench my weight in dumbbells 10+ times first set .
Post 7 IP   flag post
@MrMailliw And how much do you weigh?
Post 8 IP   flag post
340621 8 8
destitute