Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Working chest muscle twice a week.2313

SupremeLeader private msg quote post Address this user
Most of my muscles are making fairly good progress, however my chest is not as good as my other muscles. I normally do chest and triceps on a Tuesday but was thinking of doing chest with shoulders on a Saturday as well do try and catch up. any advice?
Post 1 IP   flag post
kbradley88 private msg quote post Address this user
could be alot of stress on the rotary cuff training both n same day, asuming u wil be going heavy since ur not makin as much progress in that area.

try keepin chest as tuesday heavy weights low reps then maybe hit it again say friday or sat with lower weight more reps, thats what helped my chest grow more
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Conversely, I believe that a lagging body part should NOT be trained more. It needs more time to grow if it's a weaker point, unless you're at a level where competing is a factor. Once you've gotten past a certain point, it may be a bit different (or if you're not natty), but generally, training smarter, not more frequently is what I would advise. What does your current chest routine look like? How about the rest of your split? -EK
Post 3 IP   flag post
Sunday - Legs/Traps
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Chest/Tri's
Wednesday - back/Bi's
Thursday - swimming (has to be done as part of my college course so i count it as cardio!)
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Shoulders/Core

chest workout - incline dumbell press - 15, 12, 8, 8.
(sometimes drop sets)
Chest flys - 12, 10, 8, 8.
flat bench press - 10, 10, 8. S/s with press ups

I'm currently trying to bulk so my reps are mainly between 6 - 10 reps to build bigger muscles, rather than tone.
Post 4 IP   flag post
add some dumbell pull overs to hit the upper chest, also some cable cross overs will help,

if thats ur chest work out thats why it isnt growing much ur only doing 3 exercises
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
If it were me, I'd try to keep all of my bigger muscle groups in the 16 set range, and drop those flies. Compounds allow you to handle heavier weight, so on a bulk, there's little need to use movements such as flies. 4 sets each: Barbell bench, barbell inclines, db inclines, decline press. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbradley88
add some dumbell pull overs to hit the upper chest

No. For the love of God please stop with this upper chest business. You work the whole chest or none of it. Pullovers also won't really let you handle enough weight to adequately build mass, and since they don't abduct the humerus, are not really better than any pressing movement. -EK
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:

add some dumbell pull overs to hit the upper chest

No. -EK

why??
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Edited to answer. -EK
Post 8 IP   flag post
wicked cheers i'll keep that in mind, what do you think about drop sets to help build muscle mass? i always thought because your taking the muscle to absaloute maximum its going to build more muscle mass? as long as its fully recovered
Post 9 IP   flag post
heres a interesting article i just found

http://www.simplyshredded.com/exclusive-chest-shockers-we-expose-the-best-kept-secrets-from-the-experts.html
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm not a fan. I don't subscribe to the "kill a muscle to make it grow" philosophy. If your routine and diet are correctly structured, you shouldn't need to add anything out of the norm until you plateau. -EK
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/exclusive-chest-shockers-we-expose-the-best-kept-secrets-from-the-experts.html

Stopped reading once I saw the recommendation for partials with no blocks or floor. That's a rotator cuff blowout waiting to happen. The shoulder was designed to load and deload- NOT stop halfway through. The torque on the glenohumeral joint when the arm is perpendicular to the body (its point of LEAST mechanical strength) and forced to stop weight is tremendous. If you do partials, they should be done with a block on your chest or on the floor, so the shoulders have a chance to deload before pressing. -EK
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Quote:

Stopped reading once I saw the recommendation for partials with no blocks or floor. That's a rotator cuff blowout waiting to happen. The shoulder was designed to load and deload- NOT stop halfway through. The torque on the glenohumeral joint when the arm is perpendicular to the body (its point of LEAST mechanical strength) and forced to stop weight is tremendous. If you do partials, they should be done with a block on your chest or on the floor, so the shoulders have a chance to deload before pressing. -EK

^ what he said.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
u said somethin about toning r sumtin right? ur rep range shouldnt change much from a bulk tom a cut. u build muscle, u burn fat, u dont "tone" hence ur reps stay the same.

sorry the word toning annoys me
Post 14 IP   flag post
just put up some photos so you'll see what i mean about my chest! i'm 17, 6"1 and an ectomorph so im a skinny kunt anyway, but my chest seems to be really lagging!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Dexdbest private msg quote post Address this user
Ek u said something about not being able to work the upper chest as it contracts evenly across all heads, am not disputing this fact. But the pectoralis major has clavicualr and sternal fibres, the sternal fibres are even stimulated when doing pull ups, while i agree that the muscle contracts evenly i feel that there are ways to zero down on the clavicular fibres and work them more or is this wrong?
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
There is a way to work them more, but EMG analysis shows that exercises that increase clavicular fibers also increase sternal fibers as well, so you're not really shifting it much. -EK
Post 17 IP   flag post
Very informative. Thanks
Post 18 IP   flag post
So would you advice me to stop doing incline work? Iv grown almost dependant on them. What about deep stool push ups for stretching the chest? I also use a 4-1-4-1 tempo. Four second concentric, one second static hold at the top, four second eccentric, and a second static hold at the bottom. (my routine looks a lot like mike mentzer's heavy duty routine) what would you say needs improvement?
Post 19 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Incline work is fine, it hits the overall chest very well. Why would you consider dropping it? -EK
Post 20 IP   flag post
Since i got here everybody seems to be in favor of flat bench and dont care much for inclines. Personally i have gotten virtually no gains from flat bench, my pecs only started growing again after i started doing heavy incline. Also what is it with pullovers, are they lat or pec exercises
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
They can work the chest of done correctly and done with DB's, but I would say overall they are better for lats. Any movement that does not abduct the humerus is not going to be big as a chest builder. Think about it- every other chest movement (whether flies or presses) involves the arms moving away from the body is the same plane of motion. Pullovers don't, so the amount of emphasis they put on the pecs is going to be limited. -EK
Post 22 IP   flag post
What about flexion of the humerus? For instance If you held a weight with both hands and raised your arm forward without bending at the elbow till your hands are pointing up. Kind of like lifting a child
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That's not abduction of the humerus. It's flexion of the shoulder joint. Abducting the humerus stretches the pectoralis, while adduction of it flexes the humerus. During shoulder flexion, neither of those things happens to a significant degree. -EK
Post 24 IP   flag post
Sorry , i didnt quite catch that. Adduction of what flexes the humerus?
Post 25 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Worded that incorrectly. Sorry. Trying to lab reports while typing, lol. Adduction of the humerus flexes the pectoralis. -EK
Post 26 IP   flag post
I read something online about the clavicular portion of the pectoralis major resbonsible for flexion of the humerus and the sternalcostal respponsible for adduction,abduction,medial rotation of the humerus. How would the humerus be medially rotated or flexed. These terms confuse me
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Dex- you're thinking too hard. Don't sweat the small stuff. Having said that, this site should help: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/anatomy/shouldersanatomy1.htm -EK
Post 28 IP   flag post
BBS private msg quote post Address this user
Post 29 IP   flag post
@ bbs thanks a lot for the info, really appreciated man
@ ek lol, sorry i ask too many questions, am just keen to learn from those ahead of me, its just an insane desire to be the best. Thanks for the link and for your answers
Post 30 IP   flag post
340750 33 30
destitute