Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATTraining Programs

1st Post! Layne Norton's Training Split---2291

SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello simplyshreaded! I just wanted to say that I have just discovered this web sight and it is absolutely my all time favorite! I am obviously new to this discussion board so eventually ill get some info/pics posted. I read over all the training routines and they are all freekin sweet! In reading over Layne Norton’s routine (Power/Hypertrophy) I felt like this type of training completely fits my profile of training. I love picking up heavy ass weight for strength and I also love working out to stimulate hypertrophy. All of his concepts and ideas really clicked for me and made sense. I want to start this workout program asap! The reason I am making this post is to see if anyone has played around with the exercises or has just kept it the same? I know these lifts are basically backed up by science and trial and error but I wanted to see if anyone has customized the program slightly? I would keep the days (2 power days and 3 hypertrophy days) and the sets/reps the same but the only thing I would want to change is a couple of the lifts (same muscle group just different lift). So anyone who has tried this program for a while I would love to hear your experience and/or advice with the program. Thanks a lot and can’t wait to hear some replies!
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the board brah.

Lots of people on this site do PHAT. Check Swayz's PHAT thread, for example as well as any of these threads:

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/tag/phat
Post 2 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
I just ran this for 14 weeks. Basically went from 164 - 185. Couldn't have been happier with the results. With a good diet in tact you will soon see some results. If you have any questions let me know.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
Dwatson the jesus of phat has spoken
Post 4 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the New World Order of shred heads! CAN YOU DIG IT!?!?!??!?!?!?

The first rule of the forum is you do not talk about the forum.

The second rule of the forum is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FORUM!
(jk getting my Fight Club on)

The third rule of the forum is always search your question in the forum search bar before posting. Chances are that those that have come before you have already sought the advice you are currently on quest to find.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for the advice fellas! I am definitely starting PHAT on Sunday or Monday. I had to take off since last Monday because I messed my lower back up squatting (had the damn bar too high on my back and was squatting with a power-style) . Today my lower back is finally feeling almost normal, I think by Sunday or Monday it will be 100%. But all in all I am staying positive about the minor set back, looking at it like a rest for my body and going to come back stronger then ever.

dwatson- Damn brotha that is some serious bulking in 14 weeks! Gaining about 20lbs is some good stuff! I definitely keep my diet in check year round.... Only cheating when the Mom wants to cook some dinner (cant pass that up).

JJ3065- hahah diggin the NWO of Shred Heads!! Ill for sure search before I post brotha.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Thanks for the advice fellas! I am definitely starting PHAT on Sunday or Monday. I had to take off since last Monday because I messed my lower back up squatting (had the damn bar too high on my back and was squatting with a power-style) . Today my lower back is finally feeling almost normal, I think by Sunday or Monday it will be 100%. But all in all I am staying positive about the minor set back, looking at it like a rest for my body and going to come back stronger then ever.

dwatson- Damn brotha that is some serious bulking in 14 weeks! Gaining about 20lbs is some good stuff! I definitely keep my diet in check year round.... Only cheating when the Mom wants to cook some dinner (cant pass that up).

JJ3065- hahah diggin the NWO of Shred Heads!! Ill for sure search before I post brotha.

Yep man, i wish i would have ran the program earlier! If you have been lifting and have a good diet, bro you are set. I'm trying to get my buddies to start doing this.

Day 1 Phat for me was: @168lbs

Week 1:
Barbell Row (3-5) : 185, 190, 185
Weighted Pull Ups (6-10) : BW, BW, BW
Rack Chins (6-10) : BW+10 (2 sets)
Dumbbell Press (3-5) : 95 (3 sets)
Weighted Dips (6-10) : BW + 45 (3 sets)
DB shoulder Press (6-10) : 50x5 (3 sets)
Cambered Bar Curls (6-10) : 85,90,90
Skull Crushers (6-10) : EZ bar + 30

Last Week: @185lbs

Barbell Row (3-5) : 235, 235, 225
Weighted Pull Ups (6-10) : BW+25 (3 sets)
Rack Chins (6-10) : BW+55 (3 sets)
Dumbbell Press (3-5) : 115's, 115's, 115
Weighted Dips (6-10) : BW + 90 (3 sets)
DB shoulder Press (6-10) : 65, 65, 70
Spider Curls (6-10) : 30's (3 sets)
DB Preacher Curl (6-8) : 35's (3 sets)
Skull Crushers (6-10) : EZ + 45's

*Note: Arms, are 3 secs down and squeeze at the top.

This is just for Day 1. Everything else is going just as good.

The reason im switching for the next 8-12 weeks is to shock my body man. But im so loving GVT. I've heard this program was good for busting plateau's.

What are your current stats?
Weight:
Body Fats:

Compound Lifts:
Bench:
Squat:
DeadLift:

Your going to fit right in here mayne. Get some pics up also bro.

Check my progress thread out if ya want. Keeps me motivated to keep going and see where i came from.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey
Dwatson the jesus of phat has spoken

Seriously Corkey you make my day every day. Im adopting you as my little brother, and by little i mean age not size, you big kunt you!
Post 8 IP   flag post
dwatson- Yeah brotha you for sure have got some excellent strength gains there! I can't wait until my lower back is 100% and I am a few weeks into the program....

As for stats:
Age- 21
Height- 5'6''
Weight- 184(ish)Bulking up now... trying to get to about 195 with this program (but we shall see since it is getting warm outside)
BF- right now I am sitting at around 9-11% (I get tested at school) which is about right for me on a bulking phase... I have been under 6% a few times weighing around 165-168.. Next cut I wanna come in over 170

Lifts:
I never really max out for one rep on lifts but some of my best pounds and weights-

bench- 285 3x (maybe... not 100% sure).. will check for sure next time I bench! (gotta wright my crap down)

Squat- (my strongest lift and favorite)- 385 for 6 Reps... I know for sure I will be getting more weight once I am recovered and back in the gym.. I want 4 plates on that bar for reps so bad..

Dead Lift-- I never have really focused on this movement much.. I know I have pulled 315 for around 8 reps in the past but i mainly do Romans for hamstring development..

--I'll for sure get some pics.. I don't have any now but I'll get em up here with in the week bud
Post 9 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Dead Lift-- I never have really focused on this movement much..

Bro!!!! You might be on the wrong forum!!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
HAHA! for sure mikew! Ima get on them deads next back day!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Haha Mike.

Sounds good man. You SOB, your a little bit stronger then me but everything else is around the same. Im excited for you to start PHAT, Layne is a stud and this program is solid. I'll be working with him in May.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Yea dwatson I am pumped to start PHAT.. I am going to stick to it strictly for a while.. Just gotta hurry up and get this back healed! I am thinking Saturday I'll be ready.. Haven't touched a weight since monday and I am going CRAZY bro.. But I was looking at your workout and you got me beat on the flat d.b bench by about 15lbs man.. that is great weight for flat press!... Layne is a freekin' champ, he gets so psyched!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Quote:

Yep man, i wish i would have ran the program earlier! If you have been lifting and have a good diet, bro you are set. I'm trying to get my buddies to start doing this.

Day 1 Phat for me was: @168lbs

Week 1:
Barbell Row (3-5) : 185, 190, 185
Weighted Pull Ups (6-10) : BW, BW, BW
Rack Chins (6-10) : BW+10 (2 sets)
Dumbbell Press (3-5) : 95 (3 sets)
Weighted Dips (6-10) : BW + 45 (3 sets)
DB shoulder Press (6-10) : 50x5 (3 sets)
Cambered Bar Curls (6-10) : 85,90,90
Skull Crushers (6-10) : EZ bar + 30

Last Week: @185lbs

Barbell Row (3-5) : 235, 235, 225
Weighted Pull Ups (6-10) : BW+25 (3 sets)
Rack Chins (6-10) : BW+55 (3 sets)
Dumbbell Press (3-5) : 115's, 115's, 115
Weighted Dips (6-10) : BW + 90 (3 sets)
DB shoulder Press (6-10) : 65, 65, 70
Spider Curls (6-10) : 30's (3 sets)
DB Preacher Curl (6-8) : 35's (3 sets)
Skull Crushers (6-10) : EZ + 45's

*Note: Arms, are 3 secs down and squeeze at the top.

This is just for Day 1. Everything else is going just as good.

The reason im switching for the next 8-12 weeks is to shock my body man. But im so loving GVT. I've heard this program was good for busting plateau's.

What are your current stats?
Weight:
Body Fats:

Compound Lifts:
Bench:
Squat:
DeadLift:

Your going to fit right in here mayne. Get some pics up also bro.

Check my progress thread out if ya want. Keeps me motivated to keep going and see where i came from.
how many months have u been on phat for?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yea dwatson I am pumped to start PHAT.. I am going to stick to it strictly for a while.. Just gotta hurry up and get this back healed! I am thinking Saturday I'll be ready.. Haven't touched a weight since monday and I am going CRAZY bro.. But I was looking at your workout and you got me beat on the flat d.b bench by about 15lbs man.. that is great weight for flat press!... Layne is a freekin' champ, he gets so psyched!!

Thanks brah, Flat DB is one of my best, also Back. I struggle on arms but finally seeing some good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet

I ran it for 14 weeks taking 1 rest week due to hurting my bicep. I believe that was week 7 or 8?

Im running GVT right now, it is kicking my butt. Will continue to do this for 8-12 and then get back on PHAT for the same time period. Then rotate back to GVT unless i find something just as good. Loving these two splits.
Post 15 IP   flag post
luka private msg quote post Address this user
YOO, welcome the names luka. one and only

desolation luka.....but u may call me just luka

Post 16 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty good strength gains, im hoping to have similar resultsQuote:
Originally Posted by dwatson
Quote:

Thanks brah, Flat DB is one of my best, also Back. I struggle on arms but finally seeing some good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet

I ran it for 14 weeks taking 1 rest week due to hurting my bicep. I believe that was week 7 or 8?

Im running GVT right now, it is kicking my butt. Will continue to do this for 8-12 and then get back on PHAT for the same time period. Then rotate back to GVT unless i find something just as good. Loving these two splits.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340621 17 17
destitute