Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BenchBench PressChest

My new goal - can you do this?2288

BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
In another thread, I saw that MikeW wrote this

"Personally, I think it's important to have a certain amount of strength and experience in the gym before cutting otherwise you'll just cut into a stick figure. E.g., if someone is unable to bench press their weight 10 times there is not much point in cutting."

Can you do this?

I've been unintentionally bulking lately so my goal of bench pressing my own weight seems to be inching away.

I was 201 pounds, then 205 pounds, now 210 pounds or so. Maybe I'm 208.

Anyhow, I'm more concerned with strength than weight or size right now, but bench pressing my weight seems like a pipe dream.

A pipe dream I'll soon be achieving though.
Post 1 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
My bench press has always been terrible. Probably a combination of poor form and my long arms.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I can bench my weight ~35-40 times....but I don't weigh as much as you, and I have always been a good bencher. -EK
Post 3 IP   flag post
Long arms.

Do you have poor form because you have long arms?

I have long arms but I'm real close to bench pressing body weight at least once and once I do that, 10 times is simply the next goal.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Im 6'3 and 205 lbs. I can probably bench it for 4 reps at the most. I don't want to make excuses but I do feel like my body structure is not made for bench pressing. Always feel like im going to get injured. I stick mainly to dumbbell presses.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
That's not an excuse in any way, lol. Your arms are significantly longer than mine, so it's a reasonable line of thinking that, until your chest and back are thick enough to shorten your range of motion, benching will likely be more difficult. -EK
Post 6 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
I could probably bench my weight, eh 25-30 times?

@BaiTu: 205, i could possibly 15-20.

Now im very curious to see if i can. Challenge accepted.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Nice to know that my long arms are somewhat a factor in my (heretofore lack of ) bench press prowess.
Post 8 IP   flag post
McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
EK makes a good point. From my personal experience, back development played such a big role in my bench press gains!

I also have somewhat long arms and my bench was always a weak point. After finishing school, for whatever reason, I became obsessed with increasing my "pull" strength. Looking back, my split used to be way too "push" dominated!

The additional mass on my back helped shorten the range of motion, and my increased back strength helped correct some serious stability issues that I experienced when benching.

For me, this was a long process, but I made huge gains. As of 2010, I weighed 195 lbs. At that point in time, I struggled to bench 155x10 and 185x1.

I now weigh 175 lbs and I bench 195x10 and 245x3.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cupcake private msg quote post Address this user
Dumbbells for life! im terrible at barbell. working my way up to body weight
Post 10 IP   flag post
Cupcake - you're going to be able to benchpress bodyweight with dumbbells?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Matt7 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake
Dumbbells for life! im terrible at barbell. working my way up to body weight

Dumbells have proven more beneficial for me too, i've made mass gains and strength gains vastly using them as opposed to a bar, I seemed to be stuck at 165lbs x 10 and no more for ages. Switched up, and gained massively.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Dam hope so! add 10kg each side to what i can do now and ill be there.. although my body will be creeping up too.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Cupcake - How much do you weigh? And how tall are you?
Post 14 IP   flag post
206lbs @ 6' 4"

Estimate with height there...
Post 15 IP   flag post
My gym doesn't have dumbbells that heavy.

Can you not lift a similar amount on the barbell?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Barbell just doesn't feel right for me. I could start doing it, starting real low weight, and working it up, but shit doesn't feel good on the shoulders.

I feel bar is to restrictive, dumbbells gets all the muscles going and feel alot more free.

Dwatson's quite a beast with the dumb ell press. Im sure he pressed well over his weight.

Ps, you need to join a mans gym
Post 17 IP   flag post
kbradley88 private msg quote post Address this user
Im 78kg 5ft9" and flat db press i can push 42kg in each hand but put me on a barbell i struggle with 25kg each side im terrible!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
I've always had a pretty strong bench, I'm able to rep 100s for 3x5 at 175 ish, my weight fluctuates from 170-180. As far as max out I'm able to do 110 pounds over my bodyweight... which isn't terrible, but I've been platueaed forever. Trying a new program that's a mix of Wendler and my own experience to break through!
Post 19 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu

I have long arms but I'm real close to bench pressing body weight at least once and once I do that, 10 times is simply the next goal.

That's so terrible! But no worries though you have tons of potential! If you are that weak you will make gains quickly and you should be able to bench your weight in no time...assuming your busting your ass and eating right!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
To all the farkers that stick to dumbells...
Hit up barbell for 3-4 weeks and youll shock your growth right?

I can only do my weight 8 times, and thats 85kg
Post 21 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i weigh 188lbs and probably get it for 30+

i did 225 for 20 reps last night

but ive always been a good bencher aswell

same with dbs, i flat 120s for 8-10 and incline 110s for 8-12
Post 22 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Damn strong.... -EK