Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioLayne Norton

Layne Smashes the myth of fasted cardio2209

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Sprung from another thread, here is Layne's piece on why fasted (empty stomach) cardio is not as benefical- and may be worse- than fed cardio:

A new article on fasted cardio appearing in the Strength and Conditioning Journal by Brad Schoenfeld, MSc, CSCS

I put the full text below for those who are interested. For those that are lazy to read the whole thing here are the cliffs:

-research has shown no difference in total fat loss between subjects doing fasted cardio and those doing cardio after eating.

-fat burning consists of 1) liberating fatty acids from adipose tissue through lipolysis and then transport of those fatty acids to other tissues like muscle, liver, heart where they are then 2) oxidized for energy. When you eat before cardio you reduce lipolysis but it ends up not making a difference because lipolysis is NOT the rate limiting step of fat loss when it comes to cardio, it is oxidation that is rate limiting so you end up oxidizing the same amount

-you may burn MORE fat over a 24 hour period when you eat beforehand because there is a GREATER thermogenic response to cardio as opposed to eating fasted

-Lemon et al. demonstrated nitrogen losses were DOUBLED when you train fasted. Fantastic for maintaining muscle in a caloric deficit... NOT

-not eating before cardio will reduce training intensity and means you will burn less calories during cardio because you won't have as much energy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: We were asked to remove the article from the site by the article's publisher. However, the full article is widely available via a Google search.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who has been arguing against this brotilligent myth for the better part of a decade I would be happy to now see if this myth will finally go away (but probably not... the 'bros' have a way of keeping nonsense alive)
Post 1 IP   flag post
cuzzy private msg quote post Address this user
ok.
Post 2 IP   flag post
crackle private msg quote post Address this user
Great read, Layne rocks
Post 3 IP   flag post
MyOwnEntity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzy
ok.

Ok?

Great post! Repped for sharing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WaxyLizard private msg quote post Address this user
This is one of those topics that I alway thought common sense would sort of explain and did explain.. Like I just assumed that not eating would cause you to use fat storages for energy. Clearly I was mistaken haha. Along with Lots of peeps.

Now I'll question everything! Even if it does seem like it's fullproof advice!
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
"Now I'll question everything." This is the greatest thing I've read all day. It was the first piece of advice given to me as a bio major, and the best piece of advice I can pass on. Reps! -EK
Post 6 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzy
ok.

Clearly doesn't understand how beneficial that article was.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Itgirl17 private msg quote post Address this user
Eknight you're awesome
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Thank you. All forum users, please be aware my awesomeness may cause feelings of inferiority and inadequacy. Don't panic- that's normal. -EK
Post 9 IP   flag post
Shadow private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the read mate. +1
Post 10 IP   flag post
wobbly_91 private msg quote post Address this user
been preaching this since I started working out (only 4 months). There have been peer reviewed journal articles out about this for years. Not something he discovered.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Thank you. All forum users, please be aware my awesomeness may cause feelings of inferiority and inadequacy. Don't panic- that's normal. -EK

This article is the stupidest thing I've read all day....

just messin with you lil man
Post 12 IP   flag post
hurricane92 private msg quote post Address this user
Good read EK. Only reason why I feel fasted cardio is efficient, is if I just wake up in the morning, I take some caffeine and I hit the cardio on a MACHINE which forces me to give it my all, as opposed to sprints or manual cardio. I feel that by doing it on an empty stomach, I eat after, as opposed to eating before AND after, meaning I only take in half the calories therefore helping me lose weight through caloric deficit. But that's just my two cents. When I do sprints though, I make sure I do those on a half-full stomach so I can push through those last few yards and last few sprints at 100%.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340750 13 13
destitute