Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
GVTPHATTraining Programs

GVT vs. PHAT2145

Highdeas private msg quote post Address this user
I’m coming off of a pretty bad shoulder injury and I want to get back to doing what I love, lifting!! I’ve read a lot about GVT and PHAT and I can’t decide what I should do.
Current stats:
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 174 lbs
Body fat %: ~14
Body type: Mesomorph

Goal: To get SHREDDED!

I want to bulk to about 200 lbs and then cut down to 185 lb (or whatever will make me look shredded)
Any thoughts on which program I should do? Should I cut hardcore for a couple of weeks then begin my bulk?

On a side note, my old routine was as follows:
Monday: Chest/tri
Wednesday: Shoulders/legs/traps
Friday: Back/Bi

I got pretty good results from it but it's something I followed for a long time.

Thanks a lot
SS4life
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thor private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest, neither are going to be great if you have an injury.

One programme has high volume, the other high frequency/intensity.
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
If you're coming off a shoulder injury GVT is probably gonna be a bit much. PHAT is still plenty intense though.

Since your goal is to get shredded I would cut to about 10% BF then slow bulk. You can't really get shredded while adding mass.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Popeye25 private msg quote post Address this user
ya just get on a regular split. the heavy lifting in phat could make ur shoulder worse
Post 4 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
To be honest, neither are going to be great if you have an injury.

One programme has high volume, the other high frequency/intensity.

From my experience, I would say lifting heavy leaves you more prone to injuries. Listen to Dave Tate talk in a few videos and he will plainly spell it out for you. If you lift heavy for many years, you WILL get injured.

This doesn't mean higher reps won't hurt you either. Look at Cutler's recent bicep tear.

I'd do a different routine if I were you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Neverbackdown19 private msg quote post Address this user
^^ agreed with Christf, everyone always forgets about high reps and injuries. I just came off a 2 month GVT routine and I couldn't even imagine doing that with a bummed shoulder. It's a tough program, and PHAT can be just as demanding.
I'd suggest tweaking out a workout that works around and for your injury. No matter what though, it's going to hinder your workouts, but taking it easy now, will benefit you 100% in the future.

good luck bro and keep a close eye on that shoulder!
Cheers.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
just out of interest, how did GVT go for you? like size gains etc.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
@highdeas if i was you bro.. i would slowly get my lifts back on par and wait for them to be the same or just below what they were before you got injured, by slowly building up doing hypertrophy with a light weight and limiting yourself to 12 reps even if you can go more reps...

just do this till you are absolutely comfortable with the movements again (y)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Highdeas private msg quote post Address this user
THanks for all the posts. I just want to clarify my injury. I separated my AC which is the joint that connects the collarbone to the shoulder. I did this via snowboarding, not lifting. Thanks for all the advice again!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Shadow private msg quote post Address this user
Did both and I must say I responded much better to PHAT.

For me heavy lower rep training works much better, and coupled with the hypertrophy days towards the end of the week you get the best of both worlds!

@K-Manley: I didn't gain strength or size. Blew up in the first couple of weeks and looked good, shredded up. But then began to drop body weight and got off it.

Perhaps I needed to adjust my calories to counter the higher volume, but I could feel it just isn't for me.

As I said before, my body responds well to heavy lifting and not too much volume.

I think it depends on your somatotype, and what your'e trying to achieve. I feel that doing a high volume program of any kind would be more for shaping and I don't think you could really see too many size or strength gains.. (However, just my opinion/experience and it could be completely different for others)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highdeas
THanks for all the posts. I just want to clarify my injury. I separated my AC which is the joint that connects the collarbone to the shoulder. I did this via snowboarding, not lifting. Thanks for all the advice again!!!

dude do you live in Johannesburg SA?

because theres a guy at my gym that had the Exact same injury and hes just started working out again
Post 11 IP   flag post
340764 11 11
destitute