Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Shadow private msg quote post Address this user
When pressing, is it better to press right down to touch the bar on your chest, or to lower the bar until your upper arm is parallel to the floor? (90 degrees)

I have been debating it lately with my buddy as the concern is placing too much pressure on the AC joint and front delts when pressing off the chest...

Anyone have any thoughts/Evidence to support either case?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
i touch it to my lower chest and pause for half a second at the bottom, I don't have any evidence as such to support why i do this, I just do it as I feel my chest gets more of a workout from this ROM
Post 2 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
i touch it to my lower chest and pause for half a second at the bottom, I don't have any evidence as such to support why i do this, I just do it as I feel my chest gets more of a workout from this ROM

same as him, often people do partials too like coleman, people with longer arms often do partials to focus on the chest more and when they do they do the lower part of the rep so touching there chest and going half way up, if it was bad for your shoulders i doubt many people would do it. especially with the weight coleman benches although as above i have no evidence
Post 3 IP   flag post
Christf private msg quote post Address this user
Have you ever watched a powerlifter bench? They have that arch instead of being flat on the bench. Give it a try, and you will see a difference... When you lay flat on the bench your elbows will go lower than 90 and below your body, but when you arch it wont happen. I don't even flat bench anymore or I start feeling too much pressure on my shoulders.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
cheers for that christf, ive noticed that and i knew they did it to make a shorter rom but i wasnt aware of the load being less on the shoulders, another thing too just keeping the bar around the nips area, and shoulder blades together. When the bar is nearer the neck like a neck press it puts a shit load of pressure on the shoulders.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yeah we'll it's interesting because most will tell you (as how I was taught) when DB pressing to lower your arms till they are parallel to the floor as to protect over stretch of pecs/damage to shoulders...
Yet when you BB press the general consensus it to touch the bar on your chest, which brings the arms well past parallel.

Seems to be a bit of a contradiction to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
More stress is put on the shoulders by stopping half way than by going full ROM. The shoulder joint is designed to load and unload. The position of most instability for the glenohumeral joint is when the humerus is in line with the body. If the bar is stopped before contact with the body, the shoulder is part way through the loading phase of the movement and in the position of least stability. Reversing the movement here places the greatest stress on the shoulders, inadequately utilizes the pressing muscles and should not be advised. Lowering the bar to touch the chest evenly distibutes the joint loads and fully activates the correct muscles needed to perform the lift safely. Using floor presses or board presses is not an apples to apples comparison- the bar or your arms stop, and the weight is able to deload. -EK
Post 7 IP   flag post
How does this de-loading principle apply to DB press?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It's the same thing- full range of motion or don't bother- ultimately the chances for injury are greater. Think about what position the arms must be in to have the LEAST amount of leverage, and the most amount of stress- when the arm is axactly straight out and away from the body. Stopping movement here is asking a lot of some very small muscles in the shoulder joint. -EK
Post 9 IP   flag post
WaxyLizard private msg quote post Address this user
physios always say going down all the way is really bad.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
What physios? Every physical therapist I work with says full ROM on every exercise- not just this one. -EK
Post 11 IP   flag post
LittleDragon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christf
Have you ever watched a powerlifter bench? They have that arch instead of being flat on the bench. Give it a try, and you will see a difference... When you lay flat on the bench your elbows will go lower than 90 and below your body, but when you arch it wont happen. I don't even flat bench anymore or I start feeling too much pressure on my shoulders.

Having that arch kind of makes it a decline bench and decline pressing activates more pec muscle, right?
Post 12 IP   flag post
340762 12 12
destitute