Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingCompetitive BodybuildingNewbieProgress Pics

Is this a good bulk19341

OneMind private msg quote post Address this user
I have never lifted in my life before. I started September 11,2017 and was wondering if this is a good bulk or not? Weight went from 130 to 172 (currently). Consume 1g of protein per body weight and 2500 calories a day. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. The pictures posted are from the day I started to July 13 and the third one is from July 22.

Post 1 IP   flag post
moke912 private msg quote post Address this user
You Look like you have built some muscle , but you also increased your bodyfat a lot .

i recommend start cutting process , until you have low bodyfat percentage and then start bulking up with more accurate way .
Post 2 IP   flag post
jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @moke912 you should have checked your diet because it looks like you put on some body fat. i would take it down to 2000-2250 and start a cut.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@moke912 thank you for your feedback. When I cut do I do the same routine I have been doing or do I go with lighter weight?

@jostrosky also thank you for your feedback.

How long have you both been working out?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@OneMind don't go lighter on the weights, keep lifting as heavy as possible and just lower calories a little bit at a time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@jostrosky ok, thanks for the advice. Should I lower about 200 at a time until I find the sweet spot?

Also I workout 4 days a week (every other day), and I love doing a full body workout each time. What full body workout routine would be best? What would you suggest I mainly focus on?
I currently do:
Bench press flat
Bench press incline
Standing military presses
Bent over barbell rows
Curls
Leg extensions
Leg presses
Db laterals
And an an exercise ( just started doing that within the last 2 weeks).
I do 4 sets of each
Post 6 IP   flag post
@OneMind All those press movements and not enough back/pulling mvts. I don't do leg extensions because it is to much direct knee stress. I would rather squat than leg press.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@jostrosky so I should squat rather than do the leg extensions? I will try that and incorporate it into my routine. As for the back/pull movements, what do you suggest that would be the biggest benefit?
Post 8 IP   flag post
lolssons private msg quote post Address this user
Get some pullups in great back builder. And they are nice to do while cutting as it is one of the few movments you get stronger in as you get you bodyweight down
Post 9 IP   flag post
@lolssons thank you will try to incorporate.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@OneMind I would have squats as your major leg mvt for lower body then you will need a posterior chain mvt for hamstrings like leg curls or SLDLs. I agree with @lolssons pullups are a great back mvt and I typically focus on compound mvts. You could also incorporate dead lifts or do those on a leg day, bent over rows with the barbell or singles DB, lat pulldowns etc. I would just keep lifting heavy as you reduce calories, yes your energy will decrease due to your caloric intake but you will still be getting full effort out.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@jostrosky very good feedback thank you. Will take your advice and incorporate it within my workouts.
Post 12 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Full body routines will only go so far...
Especially when ur lifts progress.
There’s plenty of programs out there for free.
I’d get a strength based one with hyper based supplementary exercises...
Jim wendlar 531 boring but big program is always a good breakthrough into heavy strength based programming.

Otherwise if I were u I’d be benching 2xweek minimum, squat or squat variation 2-3, deadlift or deadlift variation 2xweek... u can tailor the rest to ur needs... add some unilateral work (Bulgarians,step ups, single arm rows), plenty of facepulls and some pull ups.

In terms of the bulk... u’ve reaches ur limit there. From this point onwards u’ll accumulate more fat that muscle in a caloric surplus.

In terms of a diet reduce ur calorie intake... 2-300 to start and stay there until you stop losing weight. At this point you have a choice... Increase calorie expenditure daily or reduce calorie intake... aka move more or eat less... rinse and repeat !!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@firemansi thank you for your response. Very good advice. Seems like everybody that has replied pretty much says the same thing, reduce calories and start cutting fat. What do you mean that a full body will only go so far? Would I not get the full benefit of the exercise to exhaust the muscles? Would a split program be a better choice? Even though I am lofting heavy, would it still not benefit? Could you explain more why a full body would only go so far? Thank you.

Also, how long should I cut and reduce?
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Exhausting the muscle does not equate to growth, and likewise, a full-body routine doesn’t allow you to handle enough volume in a single sesssion for increased hypertrophy. You work a muscle, then a process called muscle protein synthesis repairs it and allows for growth for around 48 hours. The most efficient way to train is to get appropriate volume for growth in a single session, then allow it to recover for those 48 or so hours before training it again. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
moke912 private msg quote post Address this user
@OneMind , don't go lighter with the weights , this will signal your body that you don't need the muscles so you will lose what you have built .

i recommend you read the routine for dummies thread

written by :

@eknight
Post 16 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Exhausting the muscle does not equate to growth, and likewise, a full-body routine doesn’t allow you to handle enough volume in a single sesssion for increased hypertrophy. You work a muscle, then a process called muscle protein synthesis repairs it and allows for growth for around 48 hours. The most efficient way to train is to get appropriate volume for growth in a single session, then allow it to recover for those 48 or so hours before training it again. -3X

^^The big dog just answered ur question dude.
Do urself a favour and listen it’ll help tremendously in the long run.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@eknight thank you for your response. So if I did a split routine, work out 4 days a week, then 2 lower and 2 upper? I will look into good split routines to accommodate hypertrophy. Thank you.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@firemansi, sounds good. I will read that. I am willing to get all the advice possible. Like I said I am new to lifting, and have the intensity and motivation, I just want to go about it the right way. That is why I posted on this forum to get answers like this, from individuals that have been lifting for awhile. I will soak all this information in and adjust my routine to the specifics that you all have given. Is this the routine that I should stick with? Also, how long should I cut? And when should I go back to bulking? On my way to read that article. Thank you.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@eknight that’s a great article that you have posted and have so much information on the questions that I have been having. I will adjust accordingly with all the information you have provided in that forum. I have watched countless videos on proper form, read tons of articles on routines, but everything that I have read (including your forum) pretty much tells you to adjust your routine to what you want for your goals. That is great advice on what to incorporate into a routine on a split plan. Also, I have watched your videos on your profile, looks like I could learn a lot from you. Again, thank you all for the information, and looks like I have a lot to adjust on my routine and diet.
Post 20 IP   flag post
340573 20 20
destitute