Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
TriggaTony private msg quote post Address this user
So is this common? I have recently over worked my chest to a point where it hurts to bench or do push ups. I gave it about 3 days of rest and the pain is not as bad but i'm most concerned about the strength aspect, I haven't been able to lift as heavy.

And what is the best way to handle this situation?
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Are you extremely sore and suffering from mild tendonitis or DOMs OR are you injured?

If it's just a case of soreness, best way is to take a week off. It sucks but will your body will thank you and you will come be re-charged.

What are your workouts like? I have had success with one heavy chest day and one dynamic day for two chest workouts per week.
Post 2 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Like mikew asked, what are your workouts like? What is your warmup progression like on chest day?

Are you new to working out? It's common for newbs to overdue it with chest stuff.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ive been working out for 2 years. As far as my work out routine, I make sure I get a good strech before I begin anything. After stretching I start off with 135x10 on the flat barbell bench as a warm up and then 185x8, 205x6 and for my last set on the flat bench 225x4. Next is the incline barbell bench, 135x8, 165x6, 185x3 for the three sets I do on that. Next I do explosive push up. I do 10 push ups jumping side to side and then going straight into push ups going side to side with a medicine and that's for 1 set. I do three sets of those and next is a work out I made up myself and this is saved for last because it's a burn out for one set. I put 135 on the flat barbell bench and I do double negatives, which I go down at a slow consistent pace and up slow at a consistent pace but the key to this work out is on the last rep when you can't push anymore, your spotter helps you very little and makes you WORK for the last one going up.

That is my whole chest work out routine. I do this routine everytime I work out my chest and if you're wondering how often I work out my chest, it's every 2 days.
Post 4 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Do you mean every two days as in.
Chest
X
Chest

or
Chest
X
Y
Chest
?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Okay, this is what my routine looks like. (Sorry about the other two day rest thing I made a mistake)

It's
Chest and triceps
Rest day
Biceps and back
Rest day
Chest and triceps
Rest day
Shoulders and abs
Rest day
Chest and triceps
Rest day
Legs
(The cylce then repeats)
Post 6 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
So over 11 days, you're working chest and tris 3 times and everything else just once? Seems a bit out of balance with too many rest days.

Maybe swap your chest routine around where on 1 day you do the heavy benching and the other you do the pushup stuff.

Back and biceps
Chest and triceps (heavy)
Rest
Shoulder and abs
Legs
Chest and triceps (light)
Rest

This way your still hitting chest 2x per week, but now you're also hitting everything else at least 1x per week instead of 1x over 11 days.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Well i'm mainly trying to focus on my chest right now but thanks, I'll try that routine out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Your workout is part of the problem for two reasons. First, if you want to bring up a weak point, you do that by training it smarter, not more often. It's not going to grow if it doesn't have adequte recovery time. Further, all of that anterior (pressing) strength is not balanced by equal posterior (pulling) strength. In other words, the strength in your back and rear delts is not going to keep up with the strength in your chest and front delts, which leads to forward rotation of the shoulder and joint problems, mainly in the rotator cuff. Second, you may want to rethink your stance on negatives, which are generally done with a weight heavier than you could handle for a full rep, with the goal of devolving greater eccentric strength and better CNS adaptation. My advice is take a week off and try a structured routine written by a trainer or natural bodybuilder. -EK
Post 9 IP   flag post
340617 9 9
destitute