Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Back to upper/lower:advice?19131

MoarIron private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, so Im switching back to an upper/lower routine after 6 months of "bro" splits and minimal progress (though nutrition and recovery are to blame here).

My previous upper/lower was enjoyable, but i wanted more volume per body part without spending more time in the gym. So, I thought Id try a setup with a chest emphasis one day and back emphasis the other, like this:

Upper (chest emphasis)

Flat bench 3x5
Incline bench 3x10
BB row 3x6
Face pulls 3x15
Curls/tricep extension superset 3x8
DeFranco's shoulder shocker

Upper (back emphasis)

Chins 4x5
DB row 4x10
Cable row 4x15
Chest dip 3x10
Face pulls 3x15
Curls/tricep extension superset 3x8
DeFranco's shoulder shocker

The rep ranges and lifts are not static and will likely change as I want to increase bench strength, but not sure which day to do so.
What do you guys think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
What about your lower?

I think you should just do a PPL routine...Push, Pull, Leg/Lower routine.

I've been doing one for a couple years now just to maintain but I know I could put on mass if I increased my macros and started added more weight.

Make sure your macros are dialed in and your hitting your calories or you wont grow. Can't emphasize that enough!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I didn't post lower days as they're fairly typical.

I enjoy PPL and made great gains when I used it, but I only have 4 days to lift for about an hour each and no weekends.
Upper/lower seems the best option in this case, but man do I miss PPL, love the strength gains.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
If you really like PPL, there's no reason you couldn't run PPLP-PLPP-LPPL etc. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
If you really like PPL, there's no reason you couldn't run PPLP-PLPP-LPPL etc. -3X

Such as: PPxLPxxPLxPPxx? (x's being Wednesday's and weekends)

Thanks for the reply, that may be back on my radar again. Still, I really like the frequency of Upper/lower.

I prefer changing routines every 6 months or so, so perhaps I'll go U/L, PPL, then eventually back to a body part split.
Post 5 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

This is what I do and it works well for me because sometimes I can only get in twice a week and sometimes I can get in 5 days a week but it allows you to be flexible. Upper lower split would be tough to do 5 days a week unless I took some volume out of the routine.
Post 6 IP   flag post
340763 6 6
destitute