Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ShouldersSplit Advice

Question for eknight: decline push-ups19126

Dorich private msg quote post Address this user
Aside from bad form, what else could be the reason that I find the difficulty of decline push-ups to be the same (if not slightly easier) as that of regular push-ups? It seems absurd... but assuming my form is correct, would having a weaker core contribute to this somehow?

And I was recently told that having deltoids that are stronger than chest could also be a reason.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
To be clear, you're talking about push-ups with your feet on a bench or some other elevation, correct? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
To be clear, you're talking about push-ups with your feet on a bench or some other elevation, correct? -3X

Yup.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Look at the line of pull- it's the same reason that incline bench press is "harder" than flat, so for most people decline push-ups should be harder. Do you incline more than or nearly the same as you flat bench? -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Look at the line of pull- it's the same reason that incline bench press is "harder" than flat, so for most people decline push-ups should be harder.

Yup, which makes it extremely odd that I perceive it as same/slightly easier.

Quote:
Do you incline more than or nearly the same as you flat bench? -3X

I find incline bench harder than flat, which is natural like you pointed out. In terms of frequency I don't do more incline benching than flat benching.

It's probably messed up form then. Will have to carefully watch some videos I guess.

Do you think the "stronger deltoid than chest" explanation is valid? Or a weak core, trouble to hold the body in the regular push-up position?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Since you don't have the same issues with incline vs flat bench, the deltoid argument doesn't seem to be valid. Could be a form issue. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Since you don't have the same issues with incline vs flat bench, the deltoid argument doesn't seem to be valid. Could be a form issue. -3X

Yeah I'll have to reevaluate my form. I was thinking maybe a weak core could have something to do with it, but probably not.

Thanks for your input.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340735 7 7
destitute