Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestNewbiePhysiqueSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Workout for chest gainz18723

AnthonyDee private msg quote post Address this user
Good article on chest training here: https://myoleanfitness.com/best-chest-workout/

Basically explains the anatomy and biomechanics of the pecs, then gives exercise recommendations and a sample chest workout at the end.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Won't click. Too afraid I'll see some nonsense about incline pressing preferentially targeting the "upper chest," and my head will explode because this myth still exists.

Also, why do you keep linking to outside websites? Why not just post this valuable info hear and begin contributing to the community? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Won't click. Too afraid I'll see some nonsense about incline pressing preferentially targeting the "upper chest," and my head will explode because this myth still exists.

Also, why do you keep linking to outside websites? Why not just post this valuable info hear and begin contributing to the community? -3X

It does recommend incline pressing actually, but it cites this study to support the recommendation: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232217991_Effects_of_Variations_of_the_Bench_Press_Exercise_on_the_EMG_Activity_of_Five_Shoulder_Muscles

Not sure why you're saying it's a myth. I've seen this recommendation by many credible professionals. What am I missing?

With regards to posting outside websites, I just follow lots of people on Facebook, like Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Bret Contreras, Eric Helms, Mike Israetel, and many others, and I find the content they share very informative, so I like to share it with others as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The study you posted- along with every EMG study on the topic- does not support your conclusion. Directly quoted from what you linked:

"Also, the clavicular head of the pectoralis major was no more active during the incline bench press than during the horizontal one"

That's why it's a myth. There's a common point of insertion for the pec major. It's one muscle, not two. Because of these two factors, you can't preferentially target portions of it by changing angles. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
The study you posted- along with every EMG study on the topic- does not support your conclusion. Directly quoted from what you linked:

"Also, the clavicular head of the pectoralis major was no more active during the incline bench press than during the horizontal one"

That's why it's a myth. There's a common point of insertion for the pec major. It's one muscle, not two. Because of these two factors, you can't preferentially target portions of it by changing angles. -3X

Haha just noticed that!

I scrolled down in the study and found the graph that shows the activity of the clavicular head in incline pressing. It actually is a little higher than when horizontally pressing - I guess it didn't reach statistical significance though!
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Of course it didn't. Armstrong and Glass, as well as others, have demonstrated this in other studies. Sorry....just isn't true. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Of course it didn't. Armstrong and Glass, as well as others, have demonstrated this in other studies. Sorry....just isn't true. -3X

Thanks dude!
Post 7 IP   flag post
340732 7 7
destitute