Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet AdviceMacrosProgress PicsTraining Programs

Eating 1500 calories for a month.18711

LBC47 private msg quote post Address this user
I let myself go for a while do to starting a new job and blah blah blah. Now we're having a fat off at work so I'm using this opportunity to cut. I have about 3 weeks left and the scale says I'm down near 10 pounds (granted this is not all fat loss). I'm keeping my protein at about 220 and I weighed 225 at the start. I split the rest of the calories between carbs and fat. I'm doing 4x a week cardio with 400 cals per cardio session as well as a push pull legs program while still making pr's. I have never been as shredded as I want to and hope that this is a good kick start. At the end I plan to slowly work back up to -500 my tdee as I don't plan on staying at 1500 for longer than this month. I have cut at around 2200 cals and lost a good amount of fat but that was over 6 weeks and am trying to lose as much as poss in 4 weeks. I will post updates as sort of a log for myself but hope to get some advice along the way. I'm really only going against one guy who thinks that starving himself and doing cardio will beat me. I hope to be the victor. We marked body fat percentage and will check again march 1st to see who lost the most %. Only time will tell.
Post 1 IP   flag post
West165 private msg quote post Address this user
Read the FAQ thread. You are 225 lbs and trying to cut at 1500 cals and burning 400 cals with cardio 4x per week. Damn right you're going to lose weight, but a lot of that will be from muscle. It will also damage your matabolism.
Post 2 IP   flag post

So I should go with 1737 cals?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
That seems way too aggressive. I'd go with the 2237. People don't aw me to understand that there is an absolute limit to how much fat you can burn in 24 hours. Cutting kcals to an extreme won't speed that up, it will only compromise lean body mass. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
That seems way too aggressive. I'd go with the 2237. People don't aw me to understand that there is an absolute limit to how much fat you can burn in 24 hours. Cutting kcals to an extreme won't speed that up, it will only compromise lean body mass. -3X

So when I was at 2220 cals, that's the fastest I could lose without compromising lbm?
Post 5 IP   flag post
So far I've lost about 11 pounds according to myfitnesspal. I have definitely lost fat in my neck and around my waist, which is where I store most of it. I'm not sure if I will win the fat off march 1st because the handheld fat percentage monitor basically said I was the same BF recently, even though I have visibly lost FAT.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Or you've visibly decreased glycogen stores because your kcals are so low that there is no way you're not eating fewer carbs and the appearance of storing less water has convinced you that you lost fat.

You know... either way. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Or you've visibly decreased glycogen stores because your kcals are so low that there is no way you're not eating fewer carbs and the appearance of storing less water has convinced you that you lost fat.

You know... either way. -3X

I'm picking up what you're putting down. I'm still new at all this. I just thought that it was fat giving me a double chin and a tire around my waist but if that's how it works then I've got some studying to do.

I think march 1st I will go back to the 2200 cals and slowly lose weight. I just wanted to lose as much as fast as possible.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I get it and that's always a great goal. Also, even though the bf monitor said there was no change, those things can be "off," so maybe you've lost more fat than it indicates. The larger point is that this is a marathon, not a sprint, so it's important to keep perspective. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Final result on the fat off was I lost 10 lbs and 3 percent BF. Other guy lost 20lbs and 3 percent BF. Technically it was a tie, but in reality....everyone agreed I won because he looked the same just smaller and I looked like I had lost fat.

Oh well, back to -500 my tdee and finally some normal macros.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Dorich private msg quote post Address this user
@LBC47 - While there certainly is a limit to how much fat you can burn in a day, that limit is definitely not a -500 kcal deficit, especially if you are eating and training right. Furthermore, the higher your body fat is, the larger the deficit you can easily / safely afford.

Fat mobilization and oxidation are complex subjects that too many people oversimplify. The famous "31 kcal per pound of fat" rule comes from a study that did not examine age, or resistance training, or protein intake, all of the things which are essential and most important in this discussion. And even Lyle McDonald says, "With sufficient protein and resistance training, the number is bogus."

That said, the number one problem with an aggressive deficit (-1000 kcal) is performance issues in the gym and hunger cravings. Physiologically though, if done right, it is very doable and lots of fat can be lost.

I personally do not recommend aggressive deficits for people coming off a bulk with significant muscle gains, simply because there's no need to rush it, and no need to increase risk of losing a bit more lean mass. Taking it slower is easier to control and safer in that regard. However, even if they were to go aggressive in a sloppier way and do it all "wrong", thereby losing a bit more muscle, this lost muscle mass would be quickly regained during the next bulk. I can give you interesting reads on this topic (muscle memory) if interested.

Now, the most important thing in all this is how you feel in the deficit. How you perform in the gym and how you feel throughout the day should be your guide as to how high your deficit should be. Track all your lifts, your body weight, and your skinfolds. Adjust accordingly. Keep dietary fat higher in a larger deficit to avoid hormonal issues.

My main problem with what you posted is how you seem certain you're burning 400 kcal in your cardio sessions? There is really no way of knowing this. Do not rely on what the machines in the gym are telling you. That's why I always recommend calculating the sedentary TDEE and working from there. Subtract kcal from your sedentary TDEE and track your progress. Adjust if needed. Losing too much to your liking, reduce deficit. Not losing enough, increase deficit. Track progress carefully.

I don't have a science degree, but I have experience with quite successful lengthy aggressive cutting, and now in April I'll be finishing what will be a ten month weight loss journey from obese to fit. My strength is fine, my blood work is great, my muscle hasn't been eaten away, and "starvation mode" has yet to kick in.

One more time, what I consider the most important advice: Your deficit size should be based entirely on you listening to your own body while eating and training right. Obviously, your health should always have top priority.

Good luck.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340762 11 11
destitute