Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet AdvicePhysiqueProgress PicsTraining Programs

Need advice. Pics included.18696

extrasauce private msg quote post Address this user
Sup guys, I'm 5'10 weighing in at about 175 lbs. Working out pretty consistently (3/4 times a week with only maybe 1-2 weeks off here and there) for about a year and a half. Don't count calories or track macros. Attempted it for a while but with random meals from mom it's hard to track, although I've managed to estimate well.

Haven't had the abs show before and that's been my goal since I started training. I've been able to see every other body part grow but I still feel like I have a little stomach or "adipose tissue".

Any suggestions on what I should do to quicken the process? Also, any general suggestions regarding routine or diet or anything is welcome.

Thanks for the help!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Liftamusprime private msg quote post Address this user
Count macros. Read the FAQs. Possibly cut for a while and then bulk afterwards slowly.

What's your training look like??
Post 2 IP   flag post
What should my macros look like? I have myfitnesspal and have read the FAQs and done the calculations. My TDEE is usually around 2300 calories so I usually aim for around 1900 daily with my macros at about 175p/60f/110c something like that.

My training has been push pull legs for a while now. Sometimes I get lazy and give my chest a whole day and shoulders another instead of the same. Training seems on point because I've been able to notice drastic changes over time. Nowadays I'm doing more 4x5/6 on all exercises except for accessory lifts.

respect brah.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You lack math skills. Your total kcals should be higher. I'm 5'3" and 170 pounds and I cut with more calories than 1900.

Also the macros you listed come up to ~1680 kcal, not even close to 1900. Revisit your BMR calculations and break down your macros accurately. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
TedDansen private msg quote post Address this user
I know your goal is to see your abs, but are you trying to lose weight as well? And is that happening? It's hard to give diet advice when I dont know what it is you're eating, but in general you'll have the best results when you take responsibility for all your meals. Make a plan and make sure your meals fit, and then adjust the plan if you're not getting the results you expected.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight - I'm sedentary at work (desk job) for 8 hours a day so I'm always worried about eating too many cals. What do you recommend my macro breakdown to be while cutting?

@TedDansen - I'm attempting to keep the muscle mass I have and have the abs show. I'm aware i'm going to lose some muscle mass if I'm cutting but hoping to. My diet is usually as follows:

Morning (wake up at 10am) no food except tea with milk and sugar with a biscuit maybe until about 12:45pm. Oikos greek yogurt usually with some fruit.

Lunch at about 2:30pm
usually about 40g carbs, 50g p, 25f during this meal. Varies from chicken thighs/salmon/chicken breast along with brown rice and beans + sweet potato or potato salad or something.

Evening Snack around 5:30pm
usually around 25g carbs, 25g pro, 15f during this meal.
This tends to be my pre-workout meal as I gym around 8pm usually. Don't like to eat too much before gym because I end up feeling gassy and bloated.

Dinner (post-workout) around 11pm
varies daily. usually around 40g carbs, 30g protein, 15f
used to drink protein at this time but if I drink protein after workout and eat almost right after, too full before bed.

Late-night snack (terrible munchie habit)
4 chips ahoy cookies and 300mL of skim milk

holla back.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Activity levels:
- Sedentary: Little or no exercise
- Lightly active: Light exercise/sports 1-3 days per week.
- Moderately active: Moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days per week.
- Very active: Hard exercise/sports 6-7 days per week.
- Extra active: Very hard exercise/sports and a physical job or double training.

Anything in there about your job? You're not sedentary if you're going to the gym 4-6 days per week.

Macros I advise 30/50/20 p/c/f or 1 gram protein per pound bw, 20-25% of your total kcals from fat, and the rest carbs.

My point with your macros was that what you listed doesn't equal the kcals you listed. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrasauce
I usually aim for around 1900 daily with my macros at about 175p/60f/110c something like that.

175*4=700

60*9=540

110*4=440

Sum=1680

I'd just follow what eknight said and just do 1 gram per pound bw, 20-25 percent of your calories from fat, and the rest from carbs.
I'd do do that right away you're carbs are extremely low.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I think your meals in the middle of the day look fine. I don't like your breakfast - I would cut the sugar and find a way to get a protein source in there. And you already know you have to cut the milk and cookies. Dieting is hard enough without cheating every night.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks brahs, I like the advice. Definitely will attempt to up my carb intake and see how that turns out @eknight

@TedDansen - lol yea, the cookies need to go but its soooo hard.

Anyways, I've never tried a full body program or like upper and lower split...would that speed up the process? Feel like push pull legs doesn't really cause me to sweat. Usually not drenched in sweat in the gym, mild sweat if any.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Sweat does not equate to intensity. It can, but it isn't some sort of absolute indicator. I personally feel like an U/L split works best for me, because I believe in higher volume for upper back, and it's easier to split that up between two days than try to fit it in with one, unless you're going 6 days a week. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrasauce
Usually not drenched in sweat in the gym, mild sweat if any.

If your diet is in order and you're following a good program, you're going to make good progress. The more you sweat isn't directly correlated with progress.

You can do a million reps of bicep curls and bodyweight lunges and sweat up a storm. Other than some increased endurance, it won't really do anything.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I don't think your program is going to make a difference in your progress. If you don't like it then change it, but push/pull/legs is fine and upper/lower is also fine.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340762 13 13
destitute