Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingPhysiqueTraining Programs

1 year of lifting - no gains18554

jeff12 private msg quote post Address this user
It has been 1 year of lifting and I see no gains.

I started around this time last year going to the gym, and in March of this year I started a bulk until the end of May. I went from 142 to 160, running Fierce 5. I did a dirty bulk and when I cut down to 146, I looked the same.

I am on my 2nd bulk and in my 3rd month of a 6 month bulk. I am running Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine. I am doing a lean bulk this time and have gained 9 lbs in the past 3 months, but the 9 lbs that I have gained looks like they are fat. It mostly settles on my lower back, stomach, and thighs. I feel like my body refuses to build muscle and only stores whatever surplus I eat as fat. Did anyone experience this?

I didn't see any noob gains either, since my first year I should have gained muscle easily. I am also 19. I know muscle growth takes time, but it can't be this slow. I don't know what I am doing wrong and it is frustrating and discouraging. I want to find the root cause of this because I know if I continue I will still look the same.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Yeags private msg quote post Address this user
Are you getting stronger?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
What is your nutrition like?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I am getting stronger, but that is not my main goal. I want to focus on building muscle and improving my physique.

I started out benching and squatting the bar only last year and added 85 lbs to both.

I eat about a 500 calorie surplus, 1g of protein for every lb. I notice my weight would jump every other week. It is not consistent every week.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You probably need to provide pictures because I suspect that you have put on muscle. It's hard to look at yourself and tell a big difference. Also like hambo said whats your nutrition look like? You may not be eating the right foods to give you optimal results...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
The order of things when you start lifting:
1st strength, 2nd size.

"I started out benching and squatting the bar only last year and added 85 lbs to both."

You started out very very weak, but that's ok. You've added 85 pounds to both squat and bench!
85 pounds in a year is great. Keep focusing on strength for now and size will come. Size takes time. The strength gains will give you a sense of accomplishment until the physical changes really kick in.
Continue focusing on strength and form and stay in a caloric surplus.

No more dirty bulking. Stay the course. The best things in life take time and effort.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Taken back in November 29, 2015 at 142 lbs.

Since the last photo, I did my own program/thing at the gym and seeing no results I got on a "proven" program, Fierce 5. Still at 142 lbs on March 3rd, 2016.

End of Bulk, June 3rd, 159.5 lbs.

Stopped cutting on August 25th, 146 lbs and started bulking again, using Lyle McDonalds's Generic bulking routine.

A few days ago, December 9th at 157.5 lbs.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Also I am starting to get stretch marks on my left shoulder, two big gashes on my front delts. Also, a 1 inch stretch mark on my left upper chest.

On my last bulk, I only got stretch marks on my thighs.
Post 8 IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Whats your current strengths on the key lifts man?
Post 9 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
The fluctuation in weight from week to week indicates that you are not being consistent with your eating/diet.

Your body pictures and "progress" that you speak of indicate that you make excuses.

If you really are sticking to your diet and consistently working out then you will see results.

Nobody can help you if you are going to keep lying to yourself.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
The biggest difference in people I find is due to wether or not they make an effort in the gym. On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is not at all and 10 is death, how much do you push yourself in the gym?
Post 11 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Im curious as to how active you are outside the gym? Are you doing any type of labor outside of the gym or is it mostly relaxing, playing games and stuff. I'd incorporate cardio into your life... Give your body more fuel and use more fuel. It seems to get things moving in my opinion...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
The fluctuation in weight from week to week indicates that you are not being consistent with your eating/diet.

Your body pictures and "progress" that you speak of indicate that you make excuses.

If you really are sticking to your diet and consistently working out then you will see results.

Nobody can help you if you are going to keep lying to yourself.

The fluctuations I don't know why are happening. I am eating the same everyweek. I track all my meals. It is not like I am not putting the effort.

During fierce 5, I consistently gained 2 pounds every week but I didn't gain any muscle either.

I think it is more than just diet and working out cause I am doing that. The whole stigma of keep going at it when there are no results is very unmotivating. I like going to the gym, only if I actually see the changes. I am not going to keep going at something where nothing is happening.

When I was in middle school and high school, I swam 2 hours everyday but I had a horrible diet back then which may have fk up my testosterone levels.

When college started, I stopped swimming and started gyming. I struggle with gaining weight that why I don't do anymore cardio at all.
Post 13 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
By the look of it you don't struggle to gain weight. You just have the wrong weight...

What are your workouts like?
Post 14 IP   flag post
In my opinion you need to stop making excuses and get serious. Watch your diet put max effort in the gym and you will make progress there's nothing wrong with you. You can't mess yourself up forever by having a bad diet when you were younger... you have to hold yourself accountable. If you truly want to improve listen to the advice these guys are giving you and do it. Your just as capable as everyone else...
Post 15 IP   flag post
damnbro private msg quote post Address this user
How bad do you want it lol train hard and eat big to get big
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yes I gain weight, but its not muscle, its more fat. What is my current body fat?

I am eating 3200 calories a day, my TDEE is 2307, that is 900 calories surplus. Last week I gained 0.5 lb. I take creatine and BCAA. I keep my protein high, 1g per lb, with chicken and shakes. Drink milk at night to keep the muscle gains.
Post 17 IP   flag post
A_em private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
The biggest difference in people I find is due to wether or not they make an effort in the gym. On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is not at all and 10 is death, how much do you push yourself in the gym?

I agree.
Maybe you don't work hard enough? Try to focus on getting stronger each week.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff12
Yes I gain weight, but its not muscle, its more fat. What is my current body fat?

I am eating 3200 calories a day, my TDEE is 2307, that is 900 calories surplus.

Where to begin...
Yes, you are gaining a lot of fat. At a 900 calorie surplus per day that puts you at 6300 calorie surplus per week, which is almost 2 pounds of fat based upon the 3500 calorie calculation. (assuming you've got your TDEE and caloric intake correct).
You don't need that much of a surplus. Read FAQ again.

Also, you need to log your workouts and track your progress. You should know if you are stronger this month than last month in every exercise, how much stronger, more reps, more weight? Track everything.

Your body has changed, but you can't see it because of the fat. Do you have measurements from when you started vs. now? I'm guessing not, you need them. I can see a clear difference in your last photo (Dec. 9th) vs your 1st (Nov. last year). It's probably not as much as you like, but as previous members brought out, it is because you're not holding yourself accountable enough. You must:
1. be consistent with diet (400-500 calorie/day surplus)
2. work your butt off in the gym- use a program for beginners right now.
3. track everything (lifts, weight, food, measurements)
4. repeat repeat repeat repeat
Post 19 IP   flag post
EagleRare10 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say you look better at the 146 picture than in the 142 picture, which indicates you actually have made some progress, albeit slowly.

I agree with the others who suggest focusing on strength and hard work in the gym. You say you've put on 85 lbs on bench and squat. That's a good start, but only that: a start.

I think changing your program so quickly is suspect. Why did you quit fierce 5? Were you still adding lbs to the bar each workout? If you are in a surplus (even slight) and lifting more weight week after week, you will grow.

So now you're benching and squatting 130? Well, find a spotter if necessary, and start repping 135 until you can complete all your working sets with it. Then add 5 lbs. Then do it again, and again, and again...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yes, a 900 calories surplus should cause me to gain 2 pounds a week but I am not gaining that. If I am on a good week I will gain 1 pound, if not 0, but then the next week I will definitely gain.

I switched from Fierce 5 because my beginning and after fierce 5 didn't show any gains. All I gained was fat in that bulk.

I track everything, believe me, everything is on my phone and all meals are on myfitnessapal.

Progression on GBR is a bit slower cause it focuses on volume.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Go put another 85 lbs on your bench and squat and see if you have gains then.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
During fierce 5, I consistently gained 2 pounds every week but I didn't gain any muscle either.

You just said that you did gain two pounds a week on your 900 cal surplus now you say,

Quote:
a 900 calories surplus should cause me to gain 2 pounds a week but I am not gaining that. If I am on a good week I will gain 1 pound, if not 0

Get it together man.
Go work harder. I'm out.
Post 23 IP   flag post
My calculated tdee would be a 900 surplus, but I was given advice from others that when ur not gaining eat more, so it added up to a 900 calorie surplus.

Did you guys have gains this slow when you guys first started lifting? In my first year I should have added 20 lbs of muscle, but I didn't. Even if I was on a shitty workout, shouldn't I have gains enough muscle to look different?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Lol. You can't bench or squat 1x your body weight but expect to have put on 20 lbs of muscle? It's been almost 2 weeks since your original post. How many times have you been in the gym since then? And have you hit new PRs? Because you should have.
Post 25 IP   flag post
What are PRs? I have gone to the gym 6 times in the last 2 weeks.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Personal records. i.e. You indicate your bench and squat were at 130 lbs when you first posted this thread. Have you hit 135 yet?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I've hit 135 for squats but not for bench, I have added 2 reps on my sets, but I am struggling to hit 8 reps for the full 4 sets. 2 weeks ago, reps were (7,7,6,6) now they are (8,8,7,7).
Post 28 IP   flag post
Good job. Just keep progressing like that and reel your calories back in some and you'll be fine. You will see gains as you get stronger. Good luck.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
I've hit 135 for squats but not for bench, I have added 2 reps on my sets, but I am struggling to hit 8 reps for the full 4 sets. 2 weeks ago, reps were (7,7,6,6) now they are (8,8,7,7).

Good job keep pushing have faith and know you can do it👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Post 30 IP   flag post
340609 30 30
destitute