Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingDeadliftSplit AdviceTeenTraining Programs

Which workout split?18423

A7102009 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, I'm a 16 year old at 73kg and at 13% bodyfat, I have been training mainly strength routines for the past 4 months so that I would be ready to start a bulking phase (I have been training more than 4 months) that will last a couple of years, I will still be doing strength training as pyramid sets seam to work for me, strength and mass wise. However I can't decide on a workout split these past few weeks, and I have tried the following:

Workout Split 1
Push
Pull
Legs

I had some problems with my lower back, as I do lots of bent over rows, but with a much larger range of motion, and I do a lot of deadlift on my pulling day, I am not willing to put these out of my workout plan as, when I take them out I will have the same problem with having a giant thick upper back and then a small thin lower back which I worked hard for to change.
Also on my pulling day I was always sore in my middle and upper traps, from retracting my scapular on chest day, I don't think I'm really forcing it back, but I just feel more activation in my chest when I put it slightly back, I am not to sure if this is right.

Split 2
The part before the + is the focus muscles and the bits after the + is stimulating but not focused

Chest/Biceps (Lats included) + Shoulders/Triceps
Legs + Lower back
Rest
Shoulders/Triceps + Chest
Back + Legs/Biceps
Rest

This is my favorite split, but I don't want to do it just because I know I'll stick to it, I'll stick to the split that makes the best results not on feelings.
The only problems that I have with this split is that firstly, the first day takes too long for optimal results. And that I am scared that I am going to be hitting every muscle every 2 days, as at least with push pull legs you have 2 days rest the 3 days rest between muscle groups, however here I will only have 48 hours, when I have read that 72 hours is also beneficial. Also my Back day also takes quite a while.

Split 3
I have not tried this split, but it is just the split above with more working days, as I prefer to have more days in the gym so that I don't feel lazy and restless.

Chest/Bicep and lats
Legs and lower back
Shoulders
Back/Bicep and lower back
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Legs
Rest

I am just a little skeptical about my shoulder recovery on this split, and I don't really like training shoulders alsone without triceps, however If this is the better split I will do it.

However I would really prefer just training to muscle groups that are related.
Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Legs
Shoulders/Triceps
However I know it can't work this way, as frequency is to low, and I have done bro splits, and high frequency splits, and the high frequency splits gave me more results. Whereas the Bro split really just gave me strength gains.

But there is a bodybuilder called Zach Zeiler on youtube who has the following split (no rest, which is why I am unsure)
Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Legs
Shoulders
Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Legs
The shoulders are also too close to chest day which is also making me nervous.

Any replies are appreciated, I have been stuck on this for many nights and just want to get this solved thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't look to deep into things and just do PPL.

But you should really read the FAQ and Routine Design for Dummies on this forum. You'd learn alot.

And just some advice, be skeptical when you see bodybuilders on YouTube. Alot of broscience but people follow them because they look good and claim to be "natural".
Post 2 IP   flag post
A7102009 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, I will just do a P/P/L split, and I will keep in mind about what you said but are you saying that you cannot achieve anywhere near his physique without steroids?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on what your idea of "anywhere near" is.

Either way, shoulders do not need a separate day. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
@Alexander7 That's not what i'm saying. I'm saying just because a "fitness" YouTuber looks great, doesn't mean taking his routine will give you the same results. And no rest days is stupid, especially for naturals. In the gym 7 times a week? I'll pass.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Tucane private msg quote post Address this user
His stats are naturally attainable for some people, his conditioning maybe. Note that he's recovered from cancer, treated with AAS, propably continued using, this explains his quick transformation.

That said, you propably should take advice from the non-users here instead:-)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsn3004
@Alexander7 That's not what i'm saying. I'm saying just because a "fitness" YouTuber looks great, doesn't mean taking his routine will give you the same results. And no rest days is stupid, especially for naturals. In the gym 7 times a week? I'll pass.

Seconding this; if you're able to train 7 days a week, the quality of the training probably isn't very high, and there probably isn't being presented much of an overload.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340733 7 7
destitute