Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Daily Undulating Periodization18256

SnackIt private msg quote post Address this user
So i am watching a lot of videos of Layne Norton.. Team3dmj, and i hear and read a lot about DUP, and i want to try it out when i start bulking, Layne norton says its basically millions ways to set up a DUP routine, so i tried to set up an simple routine for DUP based on how i like to train and how many times a week i like to train, i will not go to hard on my accessory work. Every week volume will be reached (adding weight) also power work will be alternate each week.

Would this be an okey and balanced way to split it up? using the template and workout scheldue i like to train.

I like high volume and are used to really high volume.

Strength work: 5x5 at 80% of 1RM)
Power work: 6X3 at 75% of 1RM)
Hypertropy work: 4x8 at 75% of 1RM)

Upper strength:
Bench: 5x5
Ohp: 5x5
Accessory work (mostly pull work and bicep/tricep)

Lower strength:
Squat: 5x5
Deadlift: 5x5
Accessory work (Hamstring work, calves and abs)

Push hypertrophy:
Bench: 4x8
Ohp: 4x8
Accessory work (1 push exercise, lateral raise and triceps)

Pull hypertrophy:
Accessory work for back (Moderate with pulling and bicep)

Legs hypertrophy and power:
Squat: 4x8
Deadlift: 6x3
Accessory work (Hamstring work, calves and abs)
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I personally wouldnt attempt to create a DUP routine, especially when there are routines readily available from some of Your sources, ie PH3
Post 2 IP   flag post
I feel that PH3 is a little bit to advanced for me.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ATN_Coaching private msg quote post Address this user
PH3 is truly for advanced lifters as well I think people need to know and this has been stated by Layne himself. DUP is not benching, squatting, or deadlifting three times a week. It is a setup that allows you to change the volume/focus to your training. In my humble opinion what you setup is not a DUP routine think of it this way.

Monday - Squat - @ 80% 1 RM - 6 sets x 3 reps

Wednesday - Leg Press - @ RPE 8 - 6 sets x 10 reps

Friday - Hack Squat - @ RPE 8 - 6 sets x 15 reps

See what I am doing, you can do squat on all three days those volumes, sets, reps, etc. but you DONT HAVE TO!
Post 4 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@ATN_Coaching I agree with what ur saying man.

@SnackIt ^^Listen to the man, i've been doing DUP for about a year now and if ur squat bench or deadlifting the MAJORITY of the time you are doing the main lift once and ur rotating in a main lift in a weak position aka
Squat 3x5
Pause Squat in the hole 4x6
Front squat 3x8

Deadlift 3x3
1" Pause Deadlifts 3x6

Bench Pause 4x4
Bench T&G 3x6
Spoto press 4x7
Post 5 IP   flag post
Alright thanks guys, but if we look away from DUP, does the routine template look okey for gaining muscle mass and strength? just workout to workout, week to week progression, add weight when i can, then probably incorporate some kind of periodization to this routine later on.

Lets say if i wanted to add some kind of periodization to this routine when it is needed, what examples can that be? i see how PHD 4 uses 5/3/1 etc (ATN_Coaching you are the guy who made that routine right?)
Post 6 IP   flag post
340630 6 6
destitute