Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsPHAT

Recommended Occlusion Straps for arms.18226

abc1971 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand of straps or bands to wrap up my arms for occlusion training. I don't want to use knee wraps for arms. That is a bit too bulky.

I see a lot of products on amazon but when I start reading the one star reviews (even if there aren't that many of them)I get a bit apprehensive to make the purchase. I'm looking for something that is good quality that will last and that is easy to put on and take off.

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Go to a medical supply place and get those rubber tubes that phlebotomists and junkies use.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I have no clue what these are called but the wide rubber bands that people use to put on their knees and then do side steps to work abductors and glutes.

But now the question of why do you need to use occlusion training? Im under the impression it is only beneficial when you are limited from using an adequate weight because of an injury.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ATN_Coaching private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX

But now the question of why do you need to use occlusion training? Im under the impression it is only beneficial when you are limited from using an adequate weight because of an injury.

This is quite contrary it can also be used for when even healthy actually, though key use is for rehabilitative purpose and when limited but still yield a maximum effect when healthy as it causes crazy cell swelling and cell swelling is a variable to hypertrophy

@abc1971 for recommendations for quad/ham occlusion I used knee wraps, for arms i use an old cheap pair of habringer wrist wraps so you can use wrist wraps for bi/tri occlusion as well.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@ATN_Coaching Noted! are you aware of any studies that have tried to put a value of effectiveness on occlusion training vs 'traditional' training?
Post 5 IP   flag post
ATN_Coaching private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
@ATN_Coaching Noted! are you aware of any studies that have tried to put a value of effectiveness on occlusion training vs 'traditional' training?

Just google Jeremy Loenneke as he has been the pioneer around it as well here is he initial meta-analysis.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00421-011-2167-x
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you, everyone, for contributing to my thread. I am starting a program by Layne Norton who has a couple of popular workout routines on another site. Some of you may have heard of his program P.H.A.T. That's a pretty good program and gave me some good gains. So now I am trying out his other program called PH3. Try looking it up online. You can easily find it. This workout program incorporates powerlifting along with bodybuilding. The occluded blood flow is for some accessory work on hypertrophy training days.

In a nutshell, the BFR technique is applied to hypertrophy training so as not to overtax the muscles in order to have more strength reserves for the powerlifting movements.

The technique of using blood flow restriction comes from Kaatsu and comes from Japan. It's been around for more than forty years. And yes there are studies that it works. So I want to give it a try.

@ATN_Coaching: Thanks for your recommendations. I will look for the Habringer wrist wraps that you mentioned.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@ATN_Coaching

Can you tell me how long your Habringer wrist wraps are and do they have Velcro? I see some options online but not sure if a 20" wrist wrap will work since my arms are 18". I know they stretch but not sure what length wrist wrap I should get in order to wrap around my biceps securely by myself.

Thanks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340763 8 8
destitute