Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestTraining Programs

Chest Strength + Hypertrophy1822

Cupcake private msg quote post Address this user
Good evening/morning/afternoon SS,

I work my chest twice a week, would it make any sense to have one of those days doing strength (heavy as fuark, lower reps) and the other day doing hypertrophy (lighter weight more reps).

Reason for the 2 days, is i really want to improve my chest.

I mix up the routine each chest day (Mon + Thurs) but generally lift the same kind of weights, gradually increasing wight.

I might be speaking shit, but just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Dragonian private msg quote post Address this user
sounds like a plan man, if i trained chest 2 days a week id do a heavy day and a hypertrophy day or possibly one day focussing on upper chest and one on lower
Post 2 IP   flag post
MyOwnEntity private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, If you look up the PHAT routine that everyone seems to be doing, you will see the first two days are upper and lower power then fallowed by hypertrophy days. try it out for 6-12 weeks and see how it works.
Post 3 IP   flag post
dwatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnEntity
Yes, If you look up the PHAT routine that everyone seems to be doing, you will see the first two days are upper and lower power then fallowed by hypertrophy days. try it out for 6-12 weeks and see how it works.

this
Post 4 IP   flag post
McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
I was thinking about doing the same thing in order to target specific muscle groups. Here is a question about utilizing dumbells within this PHAT-influenced routine:

Should I mix in the use of dumbells (mainly for incline & flat BPs) on the Power day, or the Hypertrophy day? Does it matter?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure it matters a ton, but keep in mind that barbell exercises will generally allow you to handle heavier weight, which causes greater CNS adaptation, and is the point of using "power" movements. So from that standpoint, I'd try to limit db usage to hypertrophy days. -EK
Post 6 IP   flag post
Research may point in a different direction, but I am a huge fan of old school lifting. I use the Barbell on power days and go DB's on the hypertrophy days. Db's give a great ROM and stretch but BarBell, I believe, will help build mass and pure strength, which is great for new lifters trying to build a solid foundation.
Post 7 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed with the approach to do a power day and dynamic day.

On my dynamic day, I view it as a chance to work on my power lifting form and speed of the movement so I prefer to stick with flat bench/barbell. But I still supplement with various exercises including DBs for incline bench.

On my dynamic day, I pretend the bar is heavy and move it as fast as possible, much like they prescribe in the PHAT routine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Along these lines have you considered using a Westside routine? Google Westside for Skinny Bastards. -EK
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Along these lines have you considered using a Westside routine? Google Westside for Skinny Bastards. -EK

Have read and heard great thing about Westside and Wendler's 5/3/1 routines.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Westside methodology literally added 80 pounds to my bench in about a year when I was already around 320-330. -EK
Post 11 IP   flag post
McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
EK and M.O.E. - Thanks for the feedback. Westside looks like something I would definitely consider. I've been looking for a change in routine, so I'll give this a shot.

EK - How closely did you follow the Westside program during that year? Did you stick to the suggested 4-day/week regimen?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info's, off the the gym
Post 13 IP   flag post
What are the ideal rep ranges?

This is what i think.

Strength 5-8 reps
Hyper 12-15 reps

Have i got the right idea?
Was doing hyper last night, felt weird man! but good
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I stuck to the program pretty closely. Remember- power training is a completely different animal than bodybuilding, so it may seem odd at first. Regarding rep range- I tried to keep my power movements under 5 reps. If you can do enough to get a "pump" then you're going to light for real power. -EK
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks Ethan (LOL JOKE!!)

I'll up my weight on strength day then They are 2 completely different games, im not used to doing so many reps, got a dam good burn though!

Thank for the advise.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Matt7 private msg quote post Address this user
Theres a good example of training chest twice a week in one of the Layne Norton articles on here.

Rep ranges on a strength day are 3-5

Rep ranges on a hypertrophy day are like 8-12

Have a look on here - http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
Post 17 IP   flag post
340762 17 17
destitute