Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Competitive BodybuildingMisc.Split AdviceTraining LogTraining Programs

Optimal rest time!18185

ATN_Coaching private msg quote post Address this user
I do not have a vlog nor published an article around this but there was a recent study that came out saying 3 minutes is the optimal rest time for strength and hypertrophy. To some degree I agree but who the fuck has 3 hours to spend in the gym? If you do I am not talking shit or knocking you but really that is an over baring amount of time. With that my recommendation is the utilize the rest time that is going to allow you to execute your training properly as well optimize your time and progression.

From that my sweet spot is 45 sec. whether squats, deads, curls, etc. 45 sec. is my go to time. Some days shorter, some days longer. I am sure people may say that is either a hindrance or not enough time but take in account. The human body is great at adaptation, from that I always preach consistency, so if you consistently train with 30/45/60 sec. rest or even 5 minutes your body will adapt to those rest periods. If you continuously up and down your rest adaptation is less likely which is not a bad thing but does and can hinder the consistency in pattern we are looking for.

So in other words I feel there is no perfect set rest time/period only the one that allows you to optimize your training with continued progression is you physique, performance, and more. I am sure many of you will have comments curious as to what many of you have to say?

-RJ
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
My rest times are usually ~2-5 mins, from my easiest work to the hardest. I don't think there is an "optimal" time either, just different ways to go about it, and one should consider the pros and cons of short vs long rest and pick what fits them, both in terms of goals and practicality.

That said though, i'm in good shape and have pretty decent cardiovascular condition, but i breathe HARD after a set of high'ish rep squats, and it takes me typically ~4 minutes to do another set. I have tried the 40, 45 or 60 sec rest times for that, and for me, i just get under the bar and can barely do half the reps of the previous set. Admittedly, i haven't done it long enough to give it a chance to get used to it.

If you're doing pump work/metabolite accumulation training then obviously taking long rest times sort of defeat the purpose, and for that shorter rest times are obviously superior.

I wish i could practice what i preach, but as with so much else in training, utilizing or periodizing different kinds of stresses (like limited time between sets) its probably a great idea.

Interesting topic btw, also curious to hear what others might have to say about their practice!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I've been doing 90 seconds between high rep exercises and 3 mins between low rep exercises (most of them) for a long time. Sometimes I go down to a minute on smaller muscle groups. I actually feel like it's too long when I'm trying to blow through a workout to go home, but I tend to struggle with much less and I dont usually lift for more than an hour at the most.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb0
My rest times are usually ~2-5 mins, from my easiest work to the hardest. I don't think there is an "optimal" time either, just different ways to go about it, and one should consider the pros and cons of short vs long rest and pick what fits them, both in terms of goals and practicality.

That said though, i'm in good shape and have pretty decent cardiovascular condition, but i breathe HARD after a set of high'ish rep squats, and it takes me typically ~4 minutes to do another set. I have tried the 40, 45 or 60 sec rest times for that, and for me, i just get under the bar and can barely do half the reps of the previous set. Admittedly, i haven't done it long enough to give it a chance to get used to it.

If you're doing pump work/metabolite accumulation training then obviously taking long rest times sort of defeat the purpose, and for that shorter rest times are obviously superior.

I wish i could practice what i preach, but as with so much else in training, utilizing or periodizing different kinds of stresses (like limited time between sets) its probably a great idea.

Interesting topic btw, also curious to hear what others might have to say about their practice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
I've been doing 90 seconds between high rep exercises and 3 mins between low rep exercises (most of them) for a long time. Sometimes I go down to a minute on smaller muscle groups. I actually feel like it's too long when I'm trying to blow through a workout to go home, but I tend to struggle with much less and I dont usually lift for more than an hour at the most.

Yeah in all it will come to the individual with sole focus 2-3 minutes being the optimal range for hypertrophy, as said it will come down to preference, what works, best, the goal, etc. Of course powerlifting/strongman rest will be longer, if doing 30 reps on squats it will be longer, etc. in sum though I fully believe there is not true optimal range to rest.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
On heavy days I rest until I am ready to lift again. That could mean 1 min or even 10-15.

I want to lift the most weight possible on the heavy days so I wait till I am recovered so I can do just that.

That being said I also work out at home and I multitask while I lift. I usually have a book/podcast/lesson plan that I am working on as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I just go when I'm ready and it varies for each exercise. If I'm doing curls, I can rest 30 seconds. If I'm doing squats, might need 60 seconds, or two minutes if Spotify keeps playing 50 ads before the next song lol.
Post 6 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanair
Honestly, I just go when I'm ready and it varies for each exercise. If I'm doing curls, I can rest 30 seconds. If I'm doing squats, might need 60 seconds, or two minutes if Spotify keeps playing 50 ads before the next song lol.

Spotify premium is the best thing i pay for... Music in the car, music at work, music while studying, music in the gym.

i have music on more than half the day so it makes total sense. Plus the ads on spotify are genius... They are engineered and marketed to BE ANNOYING moreso than just an ad. Annoying that you will pay for premium just to get away from the ads than to gain the benefits of premium. Offline playlists are GOAT if you work in an area with shitty reception.
Post 7 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX lol yeah, I figured that's why they put so many ads lately. I remember it being like 2 ads before a song. Now it's like 7 and the annoying Spotify premium ad. Maybe I'll get it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Whatever time it needs for heavy compound lifts, 1-6 rep range.

About 1 min for isolation excercises.

That is how i deal with rest times.
Post 9 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
2-5mins for everything involving big 3 strength or hyper work. pulldown pushdowns, isolation work all that stuff. 1-2max.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I think we all can agree regardless of the goal we all have individual preferences that work best for us at an individual level which is perfect as I am not seeing so much "BUT YEAH SCIENCE AND RESEARCH SAYS............." which is a general point I am making is that though there is a optimal range from research it is not to be taken to heart for people to take literal and change everything about their daily training.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340733 11 11
destitute