Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingNewbieSplit Advice

Best full body routine 3 times/week18143

Bous123 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I have been lifting for 8 months, but cutting for 5 of them and made small progress. I am still fat with about 23-24% body fat and around 34" waist and 184cm in height.

What is a good full body routine for mass 3 times per week?

I looked into 5x5, but I dont think that is ideal for my goal, I am looking hard to boost muscle mass.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Wants to gain muscle mass.

Does not think bench press, OHP, barbell row, deadlift, and squat routine is appropriate for his goal.

Wut?! -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bous123

I looked into 5x5, but I dont think that is ideal for my goal, I am looking hard to boost muscle mass.

Can you go a bit into detail about your reasoning for this?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb0
Quote:

Can you go a bit into detail about your reasoning for this?

I've researched this topic a lot. 8-12 is IDEAL for muscle mass. So 5x5 will build some, but not as much as 8-12, which is my focus. Also StrongLifts 5x5 has no isolation work...
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
You apparently haven't researched the topic ENOUGH, because that statement is not correct. Studies have demonstrated equal hypertrophy gains in the 3-5 rep range as the 8-10 rep range. So, yes, 5x5 will build just as much. One of many: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24714538/

Isolation work? What purpose does that serve? How often, in your life, do you perform isolation movements? They're unnatural. Our bodies evolved to move in complimentary multi-joint patterns. Just some food for thought. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
So, you might not realize this, but multijoint movements are superior to isolation work, for any given muscle, with very few arguable exceptions.

One of the main strengths of 3x weekly (or more), fullbody programs is, that they make use of the most effective exercises, at a high weekly frequence. Because you will be doing fullbody, you're prioritizing the best movements, and leaving out the inferior ones (hit: most isolation work).

Obviously you can't do a fullbody day, with isolation work for everything - you'd be in the gym for 12 hours, and the quality of the work you'd be doing would be pretty low.

You should consider the fact, that you are actually asking for a program for training 3 days a week - as opposed to 4,5,6 times a week. Thats by no means a bad thing, at your level, its probably very good, but with a 3x-a-week program, no good ones are going to have much isolation work, and if it does, it'd be a minimum amount of it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks to both of you. But without isolation, I dont think my arms will grow or my calves will grow. I have 12" arms at a high body fat already.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Bous123 Those are valid points, and thats where you can argue the exceptions.

Pressing 3x weekly WILL make your triceps grow, and over the span of a potential long lifting "career", pressing movements will be responsible for the majority of your tricep growth. Personally, i don't find rowing movements to be equally as effective for biceps, as pressing is for triceps, so in my case, supplementing with isolationwork for biceps would make sense, but i also trained for much longer than you.

You point out calves as well, which is accurate; they do not get trained very well in a program without isolationwork - therefor adding work for calves could be a good idea. Same (to some degree) goes for the medial head of the delts, which might benefit from some upright rowing and/or lateral raises.

I can give you an arbitrary list of isolation exercises that you can argue would be justified in a fullbody program, because they actually offer something that isn't (sufficiently) covered in most fullbody programs:

Calf Raises
Lateral Raises
Leg Curls

I was about to mention core-work, but as far as i remember, that is usually included in most serious fullbody programs
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hello,

After reading for a while and thinking about this, I have decided that the full body 3 times per week will be better than doing a split workout. Upon careful thinking and using the idea that volume for large muscles should be 120 reps/week and half that for small muscles, I have designed the following and strength should come overtime and if it stalls I change the rep range to lower.

The rep range for now is 8-12

Workout: 4x squat, 4x bench press, 4x BB row, 4x dumbbell shoulder press for main lifts. Then accessory, 2x leg curl, 2x incline db press, 2x pull down, 2x lateral raise and for the sake of arms, 3x chin-up (assisted) and 3x tricep extension.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I don't mean to be a dick, but what was the point of this thread? You literally asked for advice, took none of it, and made up your own mind to do what you want.

Aside from that, if you're going to create your own routine, why would you make it unbalanced? -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Holy shit

Sets per session for following bodyparts:

Quads = 4

Posterior chain = 2

Triceps = 13
Post 11 IP   flag post
Oh, and...

Your home-brewed "fullbody" program is split across your "full body" like this

Lower body - 6 sets per workout

Upper body - 24 sets per workout

I don't mean to be a dick either, but what kind of literature are you reading, that supports this kind of programming? Johnny Bravo's diary?
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight

-3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

-3X

I'm so jealous of Johnny's proportions; with that femur to torso ratio, he must have the most beautiful and pleasant squats in the world
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm jealous that he scores hot redheads:

-3X
Post 15 IP   flag post

He's grooming them from an early age i guess
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
And he likes their aggressive personality...

-3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
WOW. Nice job "trying to not be dicks." Never coming here for help again.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Also, found a good one in case anyone else was also searching: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw101.htm the first place winner has a good routine and template as well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

What are you finding so offensive?

The points regarding your program were valid, and the memes were harmless fun, and not directed at you.

Grow some thicker skin - else you'll be wearing training gloves forever, in addition to getting pissy about Johnny Bravo memes
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:

You didn't come here for help to start with, because when it was offered you ignored it. You came here looking for someone to validate your pre-conceived (and incorrect) ideas. Don't confuse the two situations. -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
so you want to cut fat and gain muscle?...this is a classic question

I would suggest doing a routine that is proven to work. Or if you are going to make your own routine I would start with 5x5 and then add a little accessory work but when the 5x5 gets so hard that you are starting to plateau I would cut back on accessory work. Or if you want to be a jackass you can just jump right up to your 5RM and kill yourself doing strong lifts 5x5 and then see how much accessory work you can do.

I would also recommend getting your diet right. Even if you have the perfect routine if your diet is off then your going to fail...diet is the foundation of your work.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Also, found a good one in case anyone else was also searching: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw101.htm the first place winner has a good routine and template as well.

Bodybuilding.com, lol..... You were given advice from two knowledgeable people on this forum but you turn to bodybuilding.com for advices ..... lol
Post 23 IP   flag post
340738 23 23
destitute