Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChest

Bench press technique? Elbows flared?18073

Beginning private msg quote post Address this user
The question is: what is the best bench press technique for building a big chest? When it comes my push day and I have to do the exercise I bench with my elbows tucked (of course I'm retracting my shoulder blades and creating a small arch at my lower back level).
Then I read a Menno Menno Henselmans article:

For pressing movements, the more you flare your elbows out to the sides, the better.

This internally rotates your shoulders and makes the exercise involve more transverse shoulder flexion and less (non-transverse) shoulder flexion, which is the movement that occurs during front raises.

I already know that you must go full ROM (touching your chest at the bottom) to prevent should injury.
I'm doing a wrong bench press for stimulating chest growth?Is it better to flare my elbows to the side?
Where should I bring the bar at the bottom of the movement?
Can you explain me which technique do you use?
([b]Can you also link a video?
)
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
First you are talking about building the chest.

Why would you change your bench press to a movement similar to the front raise which is a deltoid movement.

Keep your elbows tucked. Post a video of you doing heavy sets of 5 and we will help you with your form. Multiple angles would be helpful.
Post 2 IP   flag post
KS100 private msg quote post Address this user
So much misconceptions about training... Going full ROM/touching your chest is NOT safer and does not prevent shoulder injuries. If you got bad flexibility in your shoulder joint full, ROM will only put your shoulders at extra risk, internally rotate them and generally make it more unsafe. The force on the shoulder capsule is far greater when the arms are extended behind the body (what happens when you go full ROM). That being said: The effect you get/muscle stimulus of doing full ROM is greater than stopping the bar halfway, so if you have healthy and flexible shoulders, go right ahead! If not, stay away!
And keep your elbows tucked, scapula down and retracted. Thank me later.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
This is complete broscience. By definition, the force on the GHJ capsule is greatest when the humerus is at 90 degrees from the body and is lesser before and beyond that. Educate yourself: http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/12290/page/1/shoulder-stability-vlog/

If a person has poor mobility in a joint, their first goal should be to remedy that. If they can not do full ROM exercises, using a block or doing floor or pin presses is safer than trying to stop halfway through the motion. There's a reason that Eric Spoto tore his labrum and RC doing that kind of nonsense. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
This is complete broscience. By definition, the force on the GHJ capsule is greatest when the humerus is at 90 degrees from the body and is lesser before and beyond that. Educate yourself: http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/12290/page/1/shoulder-stability-vlog/

If a person has poor mobility in a joint, their first goal should be to remedy that. If they can not do full ROM exercises, using a block or doing floor or pin presses is safer than trying to stop halfway through the motion. There's a reason that Eric Spoto tore his labrum and RC doing that kind of nonsense. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Keep your elbows tucked (30-45°) if you value your shoulder health.
Post 6 IP   flag post
340740 6 6
destitute