Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATTeenTraining Programs

Linear Periodization18012

SnackIt private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm returning to weightlifting after 1 year off, I'm jumping on PHAT, when i used to lift before i really over complicated things and took it to seriously and forgot to have fun, but this time i just wanna have fun and lift to get bigger and stronger without sweating over the small stuff. I only have one question, I'm used to following periodziation systems and cycles and following what weight i use after percents.

This time i really just wanna follow my own feeling and add weight when i can, thats really what i like the most, and enjoy, is this an okey way to apply progressive overload? lets say i aim for between 3-5 reps on heavy days, and when i hit 5 reps on all set i add 5 pounds to the bar and drop down to 3 reps, and just keep doing this? just old and simple progression really and not so complicated.

Is this an okey way to get my progressive overload in? would it work for someone just trying to get bigger and stronger without an goal in competing. no %, no cycles, just the simple way off adding weight and reps.

Will this be good enough to keep getting stronger and bigger?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, following a program and percentages simplifies everything. You don't have to worry about when to add more weight, what rep schemes, how many sets to perform, etc.
You can get bigger doing it your way but, will that be optimal? No. Could you get alot stronger following percentages instead of feel? Yes. I personally think it's fun following a program and knowing if my diet is right, my numbers will go up. I don't want to be one of those people whose lifts don't increase that much over a prolonged period of time. But to answer your question again, you can get bigger and stronger your way, your progress will just be slower. Just my two cents.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Alternatively, you can achieve progressive overload by adding volume in the form of sets. This presents a week-to-week volume overload thats significantly greater than most other ways, like just adding weight. I've used this with good results, but it was different, and tough in the last few weeks, but it pretty much goes like this, for your main exercises:

Week 1: 3 sets of X weight
Week 2: 4 sets of X weight
Week 3: 5 sets of X weight
Week 4: 6 sets of X weight
Week 5: -Deload-

I've used it mainly with weight for for 6, 8 and 10 rep sets, and i'd honestly recommend trying it out. After the deload week, you can add 2,5-5% weight and start over, or start over with a new rep scheme and start weight. Obviously, your aim is to be able to complete the weeks with progressivley higher weights.

Regarding deadlifts, i think its a bad idea to run with the same volume, as described for the other lifts, so minus 1 or 2 sets is probably a better idea. If the volume is too much (6 sets of 10 in squats was brutal for me at least), you can start with a 2 set week, and move up to 5, and then deload.

This is basically just one way to progressively overload, but i thought it was fun, challenging and i had a good results from it, after a period of being stalled on Candito's
Post 3 IP   flag post
What periodization would you guys recommend to use on phat? im still on that level that i can increase weight and reps every week, a type of progressive overload that is easy and not complicated to understand
Post 4 IP   flag post
DYELBOYO private msg quote post Address this user
I up intensity (Weight) as i bring volume down(Usually 1-2 reps lower) by each week. So let's use 225 lbs for an example.

Week1 225*5

Week2 227,5*4

Week3 230*3

Week4 Deload week, 225*2

Week6 227,5*5

That's how I progress on compounds. On Isolations I just add reps whenever I can untill I reach all prescribed reps for the exercise and then I add weight.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Liftamusprime private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackIt
What periodization would you guys recommend to use on phat? im still on that level that i can increase weight and reps every week, a type of progressive overload that is easy and not complicated to understand

There's many methods that you could use.. Just pick one you find suitable. As long as you are making progress in some form or way...be it additional reps, sets, increasing weight or even doing the lift faster.

another important factor to making progress is having your nutrition sorted out. If you aren't eating enough you'll not make as much progress. Quote:
Originally Posted by DYELBOYO
I up intensity (Weight) as i bring volume down(Usually 1-2 reps lower) by each week. So let's use 225 lbs for an example.

Week1 225*5

Week2 227,5*4

Week3 230*3

Week4 Deload week, 225*2

Week6 227,5*5

That's how I progress on compounds. On Isolations I just add reps whenever I can untill I reach all prescribed reps for the exercise and then I add weight.

I've been doing something similar to this. Been working pretty Effective so far.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Any more tips on ways to apply periodization?

Could i use conjugate method on Phat?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Since PHAT already sort of incorporates a kind of conjugation (strength and hyper days within a week), i personally wouldn't see a point in applying the conjugate method to it. It would sort of overlap. As you probably know, the CM uses upper/lower max effort days (in phat thats equivalent to the first 2 strength days), dynamic effort (resembles the 3 hypertrophy days in PHAT), and speed days (in PHAT speed work is used alternatingly as the first exercise on the hyper days).

Do you see what i mean?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I see what you mean, do you guys got any names of some periodization systems that i could use with phat, like 5/3/1 etc, that also helps you with progressive overload.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Your complicating this way too much..stick to the basics..then if you need to change..change something.

In some form or way..you are adding weight, reps, sets etc to progress in the majority of these methods.

If you have been weight training for any length of time you'll understand these factors. If you have to ask questions.. The answers are in this thread, in the FAQ and in the PHAT FAQ.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I have so much strength to gain back at the moment that im able to add reps and weight every week, maybe i should just stick to doing that, and when things get heavier then add some periodization system to my routine?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
I have so much strength to gain back at the moment that im able to add reps and weight every week, maybe i should just stick to doing that, and when things get heavier then add some periodization system to my routine?

It always slows down though time. But you can simply aim for more sets/reps etc week by week. Or as mentioned before, increase weight and decrease reps. That what I used! e.g.

week 1: 3x6 @ 100kg
week 2: 3x5 @ 102.5kg
week 3: 3x4 @ 105kg
week 4: deload
week 5: 3x6 @102.5kg and so on.

also..worth a mention..if you are gaining weight you should be progressing slowly..if cutting strength is going to dip a little.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Liftamusprime whats the name of that type of periodization?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Does this sounds like an okey plan? as im coming of a long period without training im now able to get stronger each week, so i was thinking to just use linear progression, when reaching target reps, add weight and keep doing that, and when things get heavier and im not able to add weight every week, then i add an periodization like you guys posted, where i maybe add weight every month instead.

Is the examples you guys gave me called non linear periodization?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Bump
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Does this sounds like an okey plan? as im coming of a long period without training im now able to get stronger each week, so i was thinking to just use linear progression, when reaching target reps, add weight and keep doing that, and when things get heavier and im not able to add weight every week, then i add an periodization like you guys posted, where i maybe add weight every month instead.

Is the examples you guys gave me called non linear periodization?

Anyone?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Any upper/lower routine for size and mass gain around for someone who are looking to get strength and size back, im at a point where linear progression works.

Stats 1rm:
Bench: 95kg
Squat: 110kg
Deadlift: 150kg

And is it true that it dosent matter much if between strength programs and hypertrophy programs when it comes to size, that it yields same results of hypertrophy
Post 17 IP   flag post
It does matter much. Typically strength oriented programs are significantly lower in volume compared to hypertrophy oriented ones. But when volume is equated, then heavier and lighter loads build close to equal amount of muscle.
Post 18 IP   flag post
So the basic to get big is calorie surplus and progressive overload? making sure i get stronger over time, with or without periodization as long as i get stronger and eat enough? thats it?

Can 5/3/1 be run for someone who is not so strong?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So the basic to get big is calorie surplus and progressive overload?

Yes. Eat in a caloric surplus (I'd recommend a surplus of 300-500 calories) and follow the program. You're really overcomplicating things. Yes. Run 5/3/1. Since you said you're already not that strong you probably won't stall for a very long time because your numbers aren't very high.
And don't worry about the percentages in the beginning. 5/3/1 gets its percentages from 90 percent of your 1RM. So since you said you're 1RM for bench is 95kg, your percentages will be derived from 90 percent of that. Don't be discouraged. Just keep at it. You're not in it for the next 3 months, you want to be lifting for years.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@SnackIt periodization is great, but it isn't anywhere near concepts like progressive overload, caloric surplus, training volume, recovery and specificity, in terms of importance and effect on hypertrophic gains
Post 21 IP   flag post
RookiePT private msg quote post Address this user
Not trying to be offensive, but you started this thread saying you overcomplicating last time and now you just wanted to have some fun while working out... It seems to me like you're quickly taking the "overcomplicating" route again.
You already had a lot of great feedback, pick a routine and see if it works for you, if it doesn't then adjust it!
Post 22 IP   flag post
340733 22 22
destitute