Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingSplit AdviceTeenTraining Programs

PPL routine 3 days a week overtraining17940

Oslo1234 private msg quote post Address this user
Over at BB.com forums, I was recommended this push pull legs:

Push, Legs - Saturday
Push, Pull - Tuesday
Legs, Pull - Thursday

The volume was 12-14 sets for large muscles like Back/Chest/Shoulder and 9-10 sets for biceps/triceps.

The issue is there is <48 hours recovery in between Tuesday and Thursday's pull workout, will this be an issue due to recovery?
Post 1 IP   flag post
hghani13 private msg quote post Address this user
@Oslo1234 You should be running something like stronglifts or upper/lower split. However, if you do continue with PPL, there are few good options:

1. Push/pull/rest/legs/rest/push/pull/rest.....

2. Week 1: Push/pull/legs/rest/push/pull/rest
Week 2: legs/push/pull/rest/legs/push/rest

and so on

Just make sure you hit each body part twice a week or within 3-5 days! Good luck!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hghani13
@Oslo1234 You should be running something like stronglifts or upper/lower split. However, if you do continue with PPL, there are few good options:

and so on

Just make sure you hit each body part twice a week or within 3-5 days! Good luck!

The problem is I only have 3 days for gym per week. Does my split not work?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo1234
Quote:

and so on

Your split can work. if you are not recovered for your pull on thursday, reduce the pull volume on tuesday a little, and see how that works out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb0
Quote:
Quote:

and so on

Your split can work. if you are not recovered for your pull on thursday, reduce the pull volume on tuesday a little, and see how that works out.

Thanks Hamb0, to start off would think 14 sets for lats is sufficient? That is my usual, and I still don't feel it after a day?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Oslo1234 I think it is more than sufficient - I'd say that its a good place to start. Maybe to start with, you can do 14 sets per pull workout, and adjust from there. I honestly rarely feel soreness from training anymore, with the exception of hamstrings, traps and lower back, but i still have good progress. If you need an indicator of how your workouts tax you, and you're maybe not the type who get that much soreness, then try to track your performance. As mentioned, i dont feel soreness in my pecs/triceps for example, but my performance decreases abit, if i'm doing too much for a few weeks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Oslo1234 I think it is more than sufficient - I'd say that its a good place to start. Maybe to start with, you can do 14 sets per pull workout, and adjust from there. I honestly rarely feel soreness from training anymore, with the exception of hamstrings, traps and lower back, but i still have good progress. If you need an indicator of how your workouts tax you, and you're maybe not the type who get that much soreness, then try to track your performance. As mentioned, i dont feel soreness in my pecs/triceps for example, but my performance decreases abit, if i'm doing too much for a few weeks.

I was thinking 14 sets for Lats and 10 sets for biceps for a total of 24 sets per pull workout.

The reason why I am asking is because my bicep REALLY need to get some volume before I get any pump or anything going on.

Lats also, they dont get tired until 12th or 14th set.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm a bit suspicious of how you carry out your training, in that case - i find it hard to imagine that you're on 10+ sets before you're feeling any kind of fatigue.

That, and 10 sets of biceps training per workout is nuts too, but we've been through that
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I was thinking 14 sets for Lats and 10 sets for biceps for a total of 24 sets per pull workout.

The reason why I am asking is because my bicep REALLY need to get some volume before I get any pump or anything going on.

Lats also, they dont get tired until 12th or 14th set.

The fuck? You don't even need half of that volume to fully peak the protein synthesis, especially not for the biceps, since they are heavily involved in rows and vertical pulls.
Using such ridiculously high volume will only do one thing for you, and that is to increase your endurance, recovery and risk of getting overuse injuries.
Post 9 IP   flag post
^ Agreed
Post 10 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

and so on

Thanks Hamb0, to start off would think 14 sets for lats is sufficient? That is my usual, and I still don't feel it after a day?

That's 14 sets twice a week for 28 sets. If 28 sets isn't enough to grow than increase the weight. Remember though, it's not about "feeling it" as much as getting more total volume in. If you can keep a good intensity for up to 28 sets without feeling sore than I'd consider that a good thing.

And why would you use just as many sets for biceps as you do for lats when bis are so much smaller in comparison? Maybe you should look into changing your curling exercises. Try incline dumb bell curls or super setting tris and bis or BFR or something.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340630 11 11
destitute