Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
American FootballCuttingStrength TrainingTraining Programs

Strength & Conditioning/Bodybuilding Hybrid17925

JoeVarden private msg quote post Address this user
This is my first post and I am wondering whether anyone has tried a S&C style program when trying to cut? I've always been intrigued by the way NFL players train in their off season and was looking to combine that type of strength work (using rep tempos etc) with higher volume bodybuilding stuff like supersets, trisets and giant sets.
I also need to include some sort of cardio because I'm doing Tough Mudder this summer so maybe two LISS sessions and two HIIT sessions a week as well as a conditioning circuit on Saturdays.

The split would be somewhere along the lines of this;

MONDAY: Upper Strength/HIIT
TUESDAY: Lower Strength
WEDNESDAY:LISS
THURSDAY: Upper Power/Hypertrophy/HIIT
FRIDAY: Lower Power/Hypertrophy/Plyometrics
SATURDAY: Conditioning Circuit
SUNDAY: Rest

I've picked out two programs in particular to possibly combine.

clickable text

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
I could write a novel about your post, but i'll try to keep it short.

What you are trying to do, by the look of it, is to train and improve a wide variety of physical qualities at once. And pretty much all of it, with a high'ish volume/workload.

This is tough to do, assuming you're even in a caloric surplus and having an intelligent program design.

But you're both cutting (meaning poorer recovery and less resources to aid adaptation), and a layout with an (honestly) obscene structure, so i'd certainly advise you to be a bit more selective and specific about what it is you want to achieve, as your next goal, because trying to accomplish all that at once, will do nothing but beat you up and not really anything else.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The goal is to drop body fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible as well as improving my endurance.
How wouldn't this type of program enable me to do that?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Basically, in the case of just dropping bodyfat while maintaining muscle, you can achieve that without such a clogged program
Post 4 IP   flag post
To put it simply, you're doing way more than you have to, for no further benefit
Post 5 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of it depends on what kind of shape you are in now and what you want to change/achieve. Do you want to just finish the tough mudder or place respectively or kill it? How much body fat do you want to cut and what is your body fat now?

The tough mudder is 10-12 miles so it's no joke unless your just going to cruise through it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Got no pics but let's just say my Bodyfat isn't anywhere near what it should be so there is a bit to get rid of. Luckily, I've got a super fast metabolism so cutting is never a problem.
In regards to the tough mudder, we're doing it for a bit of fun but I'd still like to train for it because it gives me something different to work towards.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340738 7 7
destitute