Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Power LiftingSplit Advice

DUP Workout too taxing?17913

nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
So I started a DUP routine about 2 weeks ago & the first week was okay then this last week has been absolute hell. Can't finish the 3rd movement. Diet has been good. Just can't keep up with all this frequency & volume...This is the programming I follow. Anyone have any experience with DUP?

Day 1
Exercise
Squat Power 5 x3 80% 1RM
Bench Strength 4 x6 80% 1RM
Deadlift Hypertrophy 4 x10 70% 1RM

Day 2
Exercise
Deadlift Power 5 x3 80% 1RM
Squat Strength 4 x6 80% 1RM
Bench Hypertrophy 4 x10 70% 1RM

Day 3
Exercise
Bench Power 5 x3 80% 1RM
Deadlift Strength 4 x6 80% 1RM
Squat Hypertrophy 4 x10 70% 1RM
Post 1 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
A couple things I'd like to question/comment on.

1)What was the last program or training split you were on? Because if you haven't been purposefully training towards performing deads, squats and bench 3x/week prior this than Maybe you should change it up a bit. Even for highly experienced powerlifters performing the big 3 for 3x/wk can be rough.

2)Even Dr. Zourbos mentioned that squats and deads in the same day may need to be reduced. For instance, only performing deads for 2 sets on day 1, none on day 2, then full sets on day 3. Or replacing deads with an assistance exercise like RDLs a couple days.

3) also, just a preference but, I always put pressing exercises between squats and deads no matter what programming. Just always give that break in between. Just like in a meet.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
A couple things I'd like to question/comment on.

1)What was the last program or training split you were on? Because if you haven't been purposefully training towards performing deads, squats and bench 3x/week prior this than Maybe you should change it up a bit. Even for highly experienced powerlifters performing the big 3 for 3x/wk can be rough.

2)Even Dr. Zourbos mentioned that squats and deads in the same day may need to be reduced. For instance, only performing deads for 2 sets on day 1, none on day 2, then full sets on day 3. Or replacing deads with an assistance exercise like RDLs a couple days.

3) also, just a preference but, I always put pressing exercises between squats and deads no matter what programming. Just always give that break in between. Just like in a meet.

I was running a fullbody routine before this 3x a week. Thought DUP would be a good choice since it's practically full body anyways. Maybe I should lower the volume? The 3+ sets are killing me. I actually do place the pressing movements inbetween as well cuz its not near as taxing lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
Work capacity issues and doing deadlifts 3x a week is pretty brutal even for advance lifters. Im currently doing DUP style workout and i deadlift twice a week which is
Day 1 deadlift 4x5
Day 2 pause deadlift 5x3 keeping intensity around 75% focusing on form. as my weeks progress my volume decreases and intensity increases. I start my program with higher volume and med intensity i keep it linear style
Of periodzation as weeks go on.
I think if you program it this way you will build up that work capacity and as you reach intensity phase keep your volume low and higher intensity.
Post 4 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
If you wanna get used to the frequency and volume it could be a good idea to base the petcntages off of a training max (90% of your true max). That way you aren't fucking with the frequency, volume, or structure of the program.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg
If you wanna get used to the frequency and volume it could be a good idea to base the petcntages off of a training max (90% of your true max). That way you aren't fucking with the frequency, volume, or structure of the program.

Ahh okay I will try that. Thanks bro!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I feel like I have to set a TM now, like @Grizzly said. I just have those bad days where I can't lift the bar and working off a TM has probably been the biggest reason for consistent progress in the past for me.

If you compare your sets to Prilepins Table it looks like they are pretty close to the heaviest workloads. A lower TM is a good idea.
Post 7 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
A couple ideas:

- Structure your workout so it's hypertrophy day, strength day, power day instead of mixing and matching

- Like @kickinchicken says perform in order: Squat, Bench, DL

- As others have said - base your workouts on training max, like 90 or 95% of your competition max

- Deadlifts... only perform deadlift singles. So something like 10 x 1 or 8 x 1 instead of 3 sets of 4.

I follow this routine now: http://powerliftingshoes.xyz/daily-undulating-periodization-for-powerlifting/

I love it!!!! But I made the mistake of using my true 1RM and had trouble getting everything done... so some workouts would take two sessions and that threw everything off. I'm just finishing up the first 10 week cycle even though I started it in January. Whoops.

When I re-start the cycle next week I plan to use a training max for sure.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
A couple ideas:

- Structure your workout so it's hypertrophy day, strength day, power day instead of mixing and matching

- Like @kickinchicken says perform in order: Squat, Bench, DL

- As others have said - base your workouts on training max, like 90 or 95% of your competition max

- Deadlifts... only perform deadlift singles. So something like 10 x 1 or 8 x 1 instead of 3 sets of 4.

I follow this routine now: http://powerliftingshoes.xyz/daily-undulating-periodization-for-powerlifting/

I love it!!!! But I made the mistake of using my true 1RM and had trouble getting everything done... so some workouts would take two sessions and that threw everything off. I'm just finishing up the first 10 week cycle even though I started it in January. Whoops.

When I re-start the cycle next week I plan to use a training max for sure.

Thanks brother!! Def need to find a better routine structure
Post 9 IP   flag post
varunj17 private msg quote post Address this user
I am following a DUP program which looks like this for the big three

Day 1:

Squats: 4 X 4 at 80-85%
BEnch: 4 X 8
Deadlifts: 5 X 1 at 90%

Day 2:
Squats: 5 X 1 at 90%
Bench: 4 X 4 at 80-85 %
Deadlifts: 4 X 6 ( anything above 6 for hypertrophy messes up my form)

Day 3:
Squats: 4 X 8
Bench: 4 X 1 at 90%
Deads: 4 X 4 at 80-85 %

each week i try and increase a rep on each set or increase an extra set the next
Post 10 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven
Def need to find a better routine structure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cywsw32s77dmyu/DUP.xlsx?dl=0

excel sheet I made based off of dr. zourdos' thesis paper. Results from the paper below:

Post 11 IP   flag post
@GrizzlyBerg I made a spreadsheet of the same thing a while back, but I added a TM! Lol. I was planning on try it out after my current deload week.
Can't argue with these results...

Post 12 IP   flag post
340609 12 12
destitute