Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsPower LiftingSplit AdviceSquats

Bar POPS off back on squat concentric?17906

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, whats up guys!

I got a question regarding the squat. When i drive up, the bar always bounces off my traps. I try to be explosive as possible and the bar always seems to jump up and land back on my traps even on the last rep(AT THE SAME EXACT SPOT). HAHA so this kinda motivates my to push harder, because i know i am driving hard.My form is correct aswell, being tight and gripping the bar hard.
My question is though will this be harmful to the spine?...I mean having the Weights bounce up and land back on ones back?

Thanks!
P.S. This is my 5 rep max weight, so dont assume the weight might be to light and tell me to just increase the weight. LOL
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Mine does a similar thing if I'm doing rep work that i don't take a breath at the top between reps.

Controlling the weight is important, as is being explosive, but there is a time and a place for everything. If you are solely working on being explosive throughout the sets, then yeah you are gonna have some bounce. But if that is not the main goal, i would control the weight better and find that sweet spot of slowing down at the top? Also what do i know because i can bench more than i squat and thats sad as fuck. cry.jpg
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX wtf bro. Never admit that shit! Clearly you're on a bro split! Haha

@forgottenpass I would agree with what @solar said, there is a time and place to be explosive and that time is not the last couple inches of movement in the squat.

You're going to injure yourself one way or another, be it your spine, the bar slipping farther and injuring your shoulder, or heaven forbid the weight goes forward and you injure your neck.

And although you don't want to hear this, the weight likely is to light for you to call this a 5 rep max.

You're likely stronger than you're giving yourself credit for.

With that said, it's simply poor form, you need to stay tight throughout the whole lift.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
@SOLARSUPLEX wtf bro. Never admit that shit! Clearly you're on a bro split! Haha

@forgottenpass I would agree with what @solar said, there is a time and place to be explosive and that time is not the last couple inches of movement in the squat.

You're going to injure yourself one way or another, be it your spine, the bar slipping farther and injuring your shoulder, or heaven forbid the weight goes forward and you injure your neck.

And although you don't want to hear this, the weight likely is to light for you to call this a 5 rep max.

You're likely stronger than you're giving yourself credit for.

With that said, it's simply poor form, you need to stay tight throughout the whole lift.

Good point man! The bar could go forward and land on my neck, since I'm doing high bar. I don't think it's so much my form, because I control the weight on the way down, and drive up hard.

But ill que myself to pull ofown on the bar on the way up, this way the chance for the bar to bounce is very minimal.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Guys gotta quick unrelated question I need help with, yesterday I went straight into barbell shrugs without warming up and throughout the movement I tended to move my neck/head around, looking down up and to the sides. After the set I got a painful Cramp on the side of my neck and trap, and it hurts to turn that direction.

What do you guys think caused this issue and will it heal in a couple days?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
It's likely a minor strain. I'll probably be over within a week, but take care with traps/neck - it really sucks to get something more serious there, so dont forget to warm up and keep the form clean
Post 6 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely sounds like a strain. Some tiger balm and motrin should help. To prevent it from happening again try to not let the weight hang. Keep your traps more contracted at the end of the eccentric movement. If the weight is so heavy that you have to let it 'hang' between reps then you should probably drop the weight a bit. Or try pin pull shrugs, which I personally prefer. And they are louder and you can usually go heavier
Post 7 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@norida that's what years of not doing legs did for me. They are catching up though. Haven't tried 1rm on squats in a long time..
Post 8 IP   flag post
340762 8 8
destitute