Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Training Programs

Thoughts on auto-regulation?17903

Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
I heard the term auto-regulation before but never research about it.I have been checking it lately it moves away from prescribed sets and reps and gauge your ability with RPE. It's true that we all have good and bad days in training and the system manages your fatigue how stressful you feel. Anyone tried autoregulation whats your take on it? Did you achieve good PRs with this program? What limitations you faced?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Autoregulation covers a variety of different ways you can manipulate your training with. Using an RPE-scale is great tool to gauge your daily form, and to use as a reference for the work you do on a given day.

Ideally, as a lifter gets experience, becomes stronger, and perhaps most importantly; learns to "read" his body's signals, taking control of your training via daily adjustments to your training, is the way to go.

It is true, that people have good and bad days in the gym. Sometimes, you're just not recovered well enough from the previous workout, and you'll fell "off". In such a case, where everything feels way too heavy, compared to normal, you might run a risk of either injury or further cutting into an unrecovered system. At the other side of the spectrum, you might step into the gym, feeling particularly great, to a point where today's training might not be sufficiently challenging. In these cases, autoregulation would allow you to manipulate the training variables (volume and intensity primarily), to fit the conditions of that particular day.

On the others side, it isn't a thing for beginners. As a beginner, a person is not likely to have enough bodily awareness regarding telling the difference between something being "hard", and when the body is actually giving signs of being overworked. And then there is the case of having a day where you're just not in the mood, but your body has no problem working hard. That might sound like an obvious thing, but it is something people have difficulty with.

As a finishing note, autoregulation is basically a way of managing fatigue, both acute and long term, and since fatigue management is one of the 3 most important factors of long term success in strength training, it is a great thing to implement - if you are ready for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I feel I auto regulate automatically. On good days I toss on extra plates and turn up the music.

On days that gravity got turned up I take much longer rests and usually drop down the weight. However I use these days as a tool as well. Slow pressing movements, squeezing pulling movements, long long stretching/foam rolling sessions.

The way I see it I go to train to feel good/look good/get stronger. Wound up into one I do it to better myself. You don't have to hit pr's and go balls to the wall in order to achieve those things.

Always a silver lining to bad days bro. Anyway, program seems interesting I just feel most people do it without realizing it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Mike Tuscherer general intermediate program have been floating around on the internet for a while. I'll be doing it and give my feedback how it goes just finished PPL training 8 week cycle.
http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?126-Generalized-Intermediate-Program
Post 4 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Blackbasara Been doing it the last 9months and i love it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Just for a different perspective- I couldn't do it. I need more concrete goals or I don't perform as well. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Just for a different perspective- I couldn't do it. I need more concrete goals or I don't perform as well. -3X

I feel the same way. For some reason, it feels much better for me, when i have a plan of what to do before i go, and then i do it. Too much flexibility and i lose focus. But i think its great for people who can use it properly and enjoy it as a tool.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Blackbasara to get people used to RPE styles lifting Amraps as ur last set is the perfect way to find ur true RPE.
Eg 4x8 @rpe8 (2reps in tank)
Last set AMRAP @ rpe9... More often then not u end up smashing 10+ if uve selected to low a weight for ur 8rep work and this is calibrated for the following week in ur program !!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi

Did you finish Garret's program 20 week program? How do you rate it compare to other programs? I couldn't do it due to injury but going to start it soon but i'm also inclined towards Mike's program which also manages fatigue percentages.

I think it takes some experience to gauge RPE if you are not used to it, but once you understand it can be pretty effective program to auto-regulate your training.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Blackbasara Ye did it man learned a shit tonne... especially about RPE style and how effective AMRAPS can be in auto-reg and also that i need a relatively high volume overall per lift to mintain progress... also cleaned up my technique ALOT on all lifts.
THat dude is very smart in regards to programming.
Post 10 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
I followed Mike Tuchscherer's principles from his RTS Manual leading into Raw Nationals. I definitely enjoy training that way more than any other. It is not for everyone. There is a high initial investment in learning the process but it becomes second nature.

Thread below contains my RTS training.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/16485/page/1/grizzlys-road-to-usapl-raw-nationals/
Post 11 IP   flag post
340738 11 11
destitute