Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

stronglifts but modified17876

moke912 private msg quote post Address this user
what about a program like stronglifts but with different rep range

I mean 3x8 instead of 5x5

is it good for someone who trained more than 6 years ?

the reason for changing , is because I don't want to put my joints under a lot of stress .
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
What are your goals?
Post 2 IP   flag post
my height is : 169 cm
my weight is : 78 kg
my bodyfat : 12-15% according to the famous picture that mentioned in the forum faqs
Post 3 IP   flag post
my goal to get leaner , but with bigger muscles
Post 4 IP   flag post
Stronglifts is a program/protocol that has stood the test of time, but if you've been training 6+ years, then its my humble opinion that its too simple/minimalistic.

I'm curious though, how do you plan to achieve your goal? getting leaner and getting bigger muscles, at the same time, is somewhat mutually exclusive, especially in your case, with 6+ years of training.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I want to maintain my fat poundage the same , and increase my lean muscle so the bodyfat percentage get lower , or to maintain my lean muscle and lower my fat poundage , it also lower the fat percentage , so i'm in conflict !
Post 6 IP   flag post
that means now i'm 78 kg , so i can add my weight to 82 kg just by increasing the lean muscle .

or i can lower my weight for 75 by decreasing the amount of fat that i have . but i think the first one is better because it will increase my muscle size ! also
Post 7 IP   flag post
Okay. Maintaining your muscle while slowly losing fat, is probably more realistic, than strict lean bulking. You won't risk spinning your wheels as much then.

Regarding what program to run, i almost don't know what to recommend you, there are plenty of decent options outthere, but i've got to ask:

Have you read the Routine Design for Dummies?
Because running something along those lines, could support your goals just fine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
yes , I have read it was very helpful , but the conflict was what to do , clean bulk or losing the fat . Thank You !
Post 9 IP   flag post
kickinchicken private msg quote post Address this user
12-15% BF is a bigger difference than you think. If you're closer to 12% then bulk a bit until as much as 13.9% and get some added strength on the way then cut down a bit.

And how old are you that you are worrying about added stress on your joints? If you don't mind me asking.
Post 10 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
I probably wouldn't recommend doing SL since the routine is built around getting stronger and that isnt going to happen if you are cutting.

What routine are you doing now? If its decent I would just stick with it and try to maintain the same lifts and weight but just be honest with yourself and know that you might lose strength and have to lower the weight to hit your goal reps as you cut weight.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
I probably wouldn't recommend doing SL since the routine is built around getting stronger and that isnt going to happen if you are cutting.

What routine are you doing now? If its decent I would just stick with it and try to maintain the same lifts and weight but just be honest with yourself and know that you might lose strength and have to lower the weight to hit your goal reps as you cut weight.

You absolutely can get stronger while cutting. Strength training is primarily neurological adaptions. Of course muscularity plays a big role but as long as your not cutting too fast and your nutrition is on point you can progress just fine in a powerlifting routine. And SL would be just fine during a cut.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
12-15% BF is a bigger difference than you think. If you're closer to 12% then bulk a bit until as much as 13.9% and get some added strength on the way then cut down a bit.

And how old are you that you are worrying about added stress on your joints? If you don't mind me asking.

Thank you , for the help I will be 21 after 1.5 month

Quote:
I probably wouldn't recommend doing SL since the routine is built around getting stronger and that isn't going to happen if you are cutting.

Thank you , but according to what I have learned , I think that you can increase your strength on calorie deficit because this is neurological adaptions , and it all depends on the nutrition , if you on surplus then you will build muscle , if you on deficit you will lose fat , but you will always make strength gains !
Post 13 IP   flag post
@moke912 You're pretty young to be worrying about taking it easy on your joints in the 5 rep range. That's about optimal rep range for all kinds of gainzzzzzzzz
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinchicken
@moke912 You're pretty young to be worrying about taking it easy on your joints in the 5 rep range. That's about optimal rep range for all kinds of gainzzzzzzzz

Thanks a lot for the help
Post 15 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
@kickinchicken @moke912

Both of you are smoking crack.

You are both being too general in your statements. Nobody is ever young enough to not worry about overstressing their joints (having said that though I don't think doing 3x8 vs 5x5 is going to do much to save your joints). And making strength gains while cutting is not optimal, especially if you are an experienced lifter doing your 5x5 lifts near your max weights.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@kickinchicken @moke912

Both of you are smoking crack.

You are both being too general in your statements. Nobody is ever young enough to not worry about overstressing their joints (having said that though I don't think doing 3x8 vs 5x5 is going to do much to save your joints). And making strength gains while cutting is not optimal, especially if you are an experienced lifter doing your 5x5 lifts near your max weights.

Obviously gaining strength while cutting isn't optimal, but you said it "isn't going to happen," which is incorrect. It's better to lift heavy and increase your lifts than run some high rep routine and make no gains at all.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340734 17 17
destitute