Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsBackBulkingNewbieTraining Programs

How often do you increase your curls?17817

Oslo1234 private msg quote post Address this user
I started my bulk ~3 weeks ago and I noticed only very slight to no changes in my bicep curl strengths.

Routine:

Back - 4x lat pulldown, 2x behind neck- lat pulldown, 5x barbell row, 5x dumbell row

then Bicep:

Bicep - 4x barbell curl 10 kg (8 reps), 4x hammer curl, 2x other curl.

I feel a high pump in my forearm every time I do these bicep exercises, but not exactly on my bicep. I am using proper form, but still?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Aoverto7 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo1234
I started my bulk ~3 weeks ago and I noticed only very slight to no changes in my bicep curl strengths.

Routine:

Back - 4x lat pulldown, 2x behind neck- lat pulldown, 5x barbell row, 5x dumbell row

then Bicep:

Bicep - 4x barbell curl 10 kg (8 reps), 4x hammer curl, 2x other curl.

But why?

Also, your biceps are most likely fatigued as they are a secondary muscle group in pulling movements. You don't need that much direct bicep work either. JMO.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Second the behind the neck comment. Pointless exercise. Noteworthy, too, is that hammer curls don't effectively work the biceps. Finally, I'd agree- too much direct biceps work overall. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to 'focus' on biceps (they are already being worked throughout all the back exercises) you could toss them in between the back work. Switch back and forth between the rowing and curling movements.
For me personally i would not enjoy doing what i just described, primarily because i enjoy the back work more than the bicep work and if my biceps are overly fatigued it would affect my back training.

Different strokes for different folks. You could try splitting the days up and doing push+biceps and pull+triceps assuming you're routine is somewhat push,pull,legs.
Post 4 IP   flag post
West165 private msg quote post Address this user
Could always do arms on a different day. That, or change up your splits. I do chest/biceps and back/triceps.
Post 5 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
@Oslo1234 how much do you weigh and how big are your arms without a pump jw
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be more concerned with increasing the weights on your compound movements (Variations of rows) If those are going up and you're eating in a surplus, your biceps will get bigger, even if your pretty much curling the same weight.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tonyc18 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by West165
Could always do arms on a different day. That, or change up your splits. I do chest/biceps and back/triceps.

In follow the same split and it seems to be ideal. I agree with @jsn3004. Biceps will grow with your compound routines.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340621 8 8
destitute