Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressSplit Advice

Reverse grip bench press17792

csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone prefer reverse grip over standard?
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
No. You're asking for trouble. I can see the bar rolling back and falling on your neck.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Ehh if I did it I would prob do it in a cage with the supports set or on a Smith. I keep hearing its alot better on the shoulders for long limbed lifters.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I've tried it on flat bench just out of curiosity and would honestly never do it again. I don't have an issue benching normally and that just made it much harder.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Just tried it out in the rack and on the smith, actually felt alot more comfortable to me and it slammed my chest, but it was a bit akward to unrack on the flat, pretty easy to unrack on the smith and felt great
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Neutral grip benching using a Swiss bar or DBs would be your best hey if you're concerned with shoulder health. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah after dealing with all these issues with my back I'm wanting to make safety my top priority for longetivity. I've actually been wanting to get a Swiss bar really bad but I don't have an extra 300 laying around atm /: but great advice!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@eknight have you tried globe gripz?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Negative. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@csizemore21 you could try and rig something with lifting straps on a smith to try and make the grip more neutral. Safety becomes the issue though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Neutral grip benching using a Swiss bar or DBs would be your best hey if you're concerned with shoulder health. -3X

Just came in here to mention the Swiss Bar, but EK beat me to it.

You can get one on Amazon for $160.

clickable text
Post 11 IP   flag post
AccomplishAthletic private msg quote post Address this user
never actually tried reverse grip bench press. I wouldnt do it as a replacement for regular bench press as you will never gain huge amounts of strength or muscle growth simply from this exercise I would however try it after going heavy on bench press and go light and use it to hit my chest from a different angel. I will try doing it in a video and talk more about it stay tuned

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBXb8QwrnnRAqPWsRCXHiw/featured
Post 12 IP   flag post
@AccomplishAthletic it's been done for like 700 pounds lol, so I would disagree with the power and strength part.
Post 13 IP   flag post
AccomplishAthletic private msg quote post Address this user
Really I had no idea. I just thought its an exercise that puts your wrists in a compromised position. Im sure its an exercise you would have to adapt to if used to conventional bench pressing
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
One of the greatest bench pressers of all time- Anthony Clark- exclusively did reverse grip benching.

I'm curious how it puts your wrists in a compromised position? They're in the exact same position as a normal bench press. The difference in movement is due to supination of the forearm and internal rotation of the shoulder. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
340738 15 15
destitute