Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestProgress PicsTriceps

Gains Season Video17790

NaturalBrawn private msg quote post Address this user
Im going to be brave and post an off season training video just to mix it up from my usual cutting vids.. its old school bodybuilding split which is a change from my full body sessions.

4 Naturals, 1 National Champ, 1 National Finalist, 1 regional competitor and one soon to compete!

Post 1 IP   flag post
I think im going to start a little journal in here, so stealth mode it :P

Squats (High Bar - first time in a long time)

8/220lbs x 4 Sets (Deload nail the form and ramp from here)

SLDL (Same as above, been doing DB SLDL and Single Leg)

130lbs x 12 / 180 x 12 / 220 x 10 / 260 x 4 (all kinds of movement going on so stopped)

Bulgarian Split Squats 10inch box (always used to do these from a bench so again dropped the weight nail the motor program / form)

30lb dbells x 6 reps each leg x 3 sets

Single Leg Leg Press

3 sets of 10 reps supersetted with double leg to failure x 3 rounds

Smith Calf Raise off 4-6inch box (implemented more of a bend of the knee to shift the weight)

130 x 15 supersetted with BW single leg calf raise for 5 rounds.

Stretch and form work - OH Squat / Sissy Squat / Sumo Squat

1hr 15mins all in.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Can anyone recommend a 'microband' for shoulder mobility exercises, I have seen people use a very thin orange one for internal/external rotation, Y/W/Ts etc...

Tah.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Put some GVT back in today, 10 set of 10 reps on Bench, kept at 180lbs as expected I would fatigue toward the end..turned out I didnt so can safely go up for my next session.

Did some weak body part training but nothing to write home about

Contemplating a mini cut to bring the bf down a bit.. before it gets out of control..
Post 4 IP   flag post
Did some BFR training today, had me thinking doesnt the old pre exh and triple dropset fundamentally do the same thing? Without looking like a smack head in the gym?
Post 5 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
no. Not the same thing whatsoever
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ha fair enough, in my mind I had the triple drop keeping blood in the muscle (to a lesser degree) and the way most BFR is structured clusters with little rest there would be similar 'pathways'/responses at play..
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
You can somewhat compare a triple drop set with BFR, in the sense that it's primary stimulation happens through accumulation of metabolites. However, the implementation of the 2 different methods should depend on the context. For example; there is nothing magical about BFR, but you can achieve a significant amount of metabolite accumulation, even with really low weight. This makes BFR a decent tool for training a muscle without it putting much stress on the joint. With a triple drop set, you would need a bit higher resistance, at least initially, to compensate for the body's easier clearance of metabolites, since the blood flow isnt restricted.

Pre exhaust is different though, since it isn't meant as a way to specifically cause metabolite accumulation, although i guess it can be altered a bit to do so to a higher degree. Personally i'd find that to be complicating things unnecessarily though.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Yes the pre exhaust component was just a nod to how some of the old guard did TDS with a Pre Exh. You did a better job of capturing my thoughts around one of the pathways 'accumulation of metabolites', I suppose you could do a triple drop set with the first being a lighter weight and dropping down from their lots of reps and volume.. removing the BFR cluster 30 second rest with reps scheme in the region of 40..30..20..

Perhaps an alternative if you say dont have a medical tourniquet or wraps etc..

Its good that we have awareness of these tools and methods to cater for a range of scenarios or indeed to work with different populations that may not be able to go with high load.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Did some 'high rep' compounds today.. wow those are a totally different beast..

High bar squats 9-10 reps over 3 sets @ 285lbs... i was blowing..

Deads 10 reps for 3 sets @ 285lbs.. gassed again..

Trying to sort out my bench technique so just a few light sets at around 10-12 reps 185lbs..

I was shocked at my 'fitness' for those moderate reps on the compounds... thought i'd breeze those at the lighter weight... WRONG :P
Post 10 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBrawn

I was shocked at my 'fitness' for those moderate reps on the compounds... thought i'd breeze those at the lighter weight... WRONG :P

Yea, that was my initial experience too Its pretty humbling. You get better at it relatively quick though, but high rep squats and DLs are especially tough on the CV system i find. High rep bench i personally find to be really really good for reinforcing good habits and technique.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Managed to pull my pec deadlifting? i think its to do with my narrowing of my hand placement (whichi is irritating as it felt so much better at the time...)

Any one else managed to do that before?
Post 12 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
yes @naturalbrawn , I have done this before after a heavy chest day into a deadlift day , sucks man.. pec minor tear ?
Post 13 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
fuck your friend bro
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1
yes @naturalbrawn , I have done this before after a heavy chest day into a deadlift day , sucks man.. pec minor tear ?

I think at the moment its just a strain, but for sure if I went hard on it now it would be snap city! Glad im not alone on deads impacting my chest

Did you tear your pec minor?
Post 15 IP   flag post
About a week later, and my right said is not so bad now bt the left is still sensitive. Been able to train around it and did a very light test yesterday on deads to just see if I felt any sensation and to confirm if it was deads... bulls eye absolutely was...

Im just thankful it feels like a strain/pull and I can train around it.. Not going to mess around with pec strains..seen way too many tears along the years!

Watching some of the more experienced guys in the forum means I know that this is a long game and I want to be hitting it life long!

Anyway.. back to the shadows for a bit
Post 16 IP   flag post
340609 16 16
destitute