Shoulder Press 3x8-10
Horizontal Pull 3x8-10
Chest Fly 3x8-10

Day 3 Lower + 2 Triceps + 2 Biceps exercises
3 Leg Exercises 3x6-8
2 Triceps Isolation 3x8-10
2 Biceps Isolation 3x8-10

Day 5 Repeat every other day

1)Assuming proper nutrition and sleep etc, will my arms be able to recover enough to hit upper body again with only 48 hours of rest?
2)Is this a good workout to stimulate arms frequently?
3)What is the disadvantage of this over the typical Upper/Lower Split?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hamb0 private msg quote post Address this user
1: Your arms will probably be able to recover, yes. They are small muscles and training them does not create a large homeostatic disruption to cause longer need to recovery than a couple of days

2: I'll make this a little more general - It is not a very good routine. You don't specify what exercises you are doing for your legs, but 3 movements total sure as hell is very disproportionate to what you do for your upper body. Comparing the 2 different training days, you have 9 sets total for legs, and 19 for your upper body. You'd do yourself a favor by balancing that out a bit. A very easy improvement to your program, assuming you can only train 3x per week(?), is to just run it like Upper/lower/upper 1 week, and lower/upper/lower the next week. I'd also comment a bit on your push:pull ratio, but i'd rather refer you to the sticky http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/16702/page/1/routine-design-for-dummies-10/ which covers all you need to know, in regards to creating a good routine
Post 2 IP   flag post
bladebeef private msg quote post Address this user
@Hamb0 Hi, thanks for the reply! (:

Day 1 Upper A
Bench
Row
Incline Press
Lat Pulldown
Lateral Raise
Reverse Fly
Cable External Rotation

Day 3
Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Split Squats
Leg Extensions
Standing Calf
2 triceps isolation exercises
2 biceps isolation exercises

Day 5
Overhead Press
Pull Ups
Bench
Row
Face Pull
Y Raises

Day 7
Deadlift
Leg Press
Weight Lunges
Leg Extensions
Leg Curl
Seated Calf
2 triceps isolation exercises
2 biceps isolation exercises

What about this? How can I add more pulling movement so it will not affect recovery? Thanks for taking time to review! (:
Post 3 IP   flag post
It looks much better. There are minor things that i'd personally change, but i think thats simply just a matter of personal preference.

You don't necessarily need more pulling movements, if you ask me. The amount you have now, is more balanced in comparison to the amount of pushing you are doing, provided that the amount of sets in each movement are somewhat equal.

I don't think recovery is going to be an issue. I'd say though, that your sets of bi's and tri's on day 7, will probably affect your day1 (the day after).

Why not put your arm work together with the rest of the upper body work?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Hamb0
Hi thanks for the response! (:
Sorry, i forgot to add in that I'm doing this every other day. So it's Day 1,3,5,7,9,11 and so on. So I assume that would be sufficient rest?

I separate them because, 1) I hit arms when they are fresh, and hence, it is easier to progressive overload them and, 2) I stimulate them more frequently throughout the week.

I am looking around to find out why putting arm together with upper body might be more advantageous, but I can't really find any reason?
Post 5 IP   flag post
You're welcome.

That sounds fine, in regards to rest.

Concerning training arms, then you're right; there isn't a glaring reason, as to why it is more advantageous to train them together with the rest of the upper body, providing recovery isnt compromised... Aside from time efficiency. I realize you probably have a specific wish to get bigger arms, but you can achieve that without having to split lower body days into a kind of hybrid training day.

But in the end of the day, you can do it the way you layed out above, and you'll likely get results too, but it isn't necessary to split arms up into your leg days, to achieve what you want.

The cost:benefit ratio is very small if that makes sense
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Hamb0
I see. Hey Thanks a lot for helping! Appreciate it (:
Post 7 IP   flag post
No problem.

I hope maybe you can get some more opinions on it, from other members here. I think the advice i gave you are of decent quality, but there are some smart people here, that might also have something to add
Post 8 IP   flag post
To smart people whom I hope can give me more insights,

Should I combine arms with upper body or leave it with lower body?
With lower body because,
1)Stimulate arms more frequently
2)Hit them fresh and hence, easier to progressive overload

With upper body because,
1)Sometimes, arms may not recover in time before i hit upper body in 48 hours????
Post 9 IP   flag post
Just to clarify, it is specifically because you want to emphasize your arms, right?

Else i'd ask why you dont train your calves on your upper body day too
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yes it is! (:
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Working them with lower body makes no sense to me. Your body didn't evolve to work muscles in isolation; it evolved to become more proficient and better at movements, not muscles. Keep arms with upper body and get stronger with rows, chins, bench dips, and presses and your arms will grow. A guy who bench presses 400 pounds and does 150 pound DB rows is going to have bigger arms than a guy who toils away endlessly doing isolation movements. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
@eknight
Hi, thanks for the response, really appreciate it! (:

So would the above routine be fine in your opinion if i just move the arm isolation exercises to upper body?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I would do that, drop to one isolation movement instead of two, and get rid of leg extensions. -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
340752 14 14
destitute