Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsArmsChestProgress PicsShoulders

Fitness Photography17749

Paulie private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys,

I had started a thread a long time ago but it was archived because I have commitment issues.
Anyway I'm going to keep this consistent and keep posting as regular as I can.

I'm a fitness photographer based in Ireland, not super successful or anything but I'm still grinding and learning with every shoot. Here's one from last week. I try to use my clients as motivation to get jacked but I'm not as passionate as I was when I was 19!

Question, do images really motivate people anymore?

Paulie

Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Good shot. Was that shot in a studio and the back drop shopped in?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks dude! Nay I dont have a studio or anything, that's on a rooftop of my girlfriends apartment!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I did rent a studio a few months ago, it was fun but a bit basic and I think I need more time and practice to do some really slick stuff!

Post 4 IP   flag post
A_em private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie

That's individual and disputable, but I've read several times that psychologists claim fitness pics can have a totally opposite effect. Especially on people, who are overweight/obese and struggeled before to lose weight.

Anyway- good job on the pics and just keep doing it, if it passionates you
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_em
Quote:

That's individual and disputable, but I've read several times that psychologists claim fitness pics can have a totally opposite effect. Especially on people, who are overweight/obese and struggeled before to lose weight.

Anyway- good job on the pics and just keep doing it, if it passionates you

I can see that. I think I actually started going to the main SS site to look at pics years ago. I used to look at physiques all the time, but as the years went by and I realized I wasn't going to look like a fitness model anytime soon, it started to get discouraging. Now I never look at fitness pics unless someone posts one in a thread or it's a Mr Olympia competitor. It's cool if you're into it, I just find them kind of dumb now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
+1 @Beans

OP, contrariwise to cosigning w/ Beans--they can be motivating if the physique isn't juiced to hell.
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I find this photo motivational, but I don't think it's in the Same context that you were referring to.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotEars
+1 @Beans

OP, contrariwise to cosigning w/ Beans--they can be motivating if the physique isn't juiced to hell.

Haha I'm the opposite, if someone is juiced up I want them to look like they can eat me for breakfast. Go big or go home!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@A_em I kind of feel like that is the case a lot of the time. The only thing that kinda muffle that impact is when you can see a before and after picture and see a dramatic change. And I dont just mean in conditioning but I mean when someone has dropped like 80kg of bodyweight and has got to a healthy level again. I suppose in that sense, the two photos are telling a story, and there in lay the inspiration.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@NorIda Yeah she has that effect on people alright. My history with shooting with her has come to a rather bitter end. Through no fault of her own but her management. I'll tell that story another time!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
I never look at fitness pics unless someone posts one in a thread or it's a Mr Olympia competitor. It's cool if you're into it, I just find them kind of dumb now.

I'm the same now. I still train and I can get in good shape quickly enough even after a lull, I suppose 10-12 years of training should have some bounceback/muscle memory benefits. But I don't get motivated from photography anymore. I know every trick there is, both on set and in post and feel as though there's a lot of smoke and mirrors to modern imaging. Having said that, I'm always looking to shoot ultra freaks because if I'm honest, that's what got me interested to begin with. A lot of video games,comic books and hero movies growing up, the bigger the better if I had to pick a personal preference.

*edit* Although now I completely focus on just taking beautiful images, regardless of the model.
Post 12 IP   flag post
A_em private msg quote post Address this user
Firstly, I guess I’ve made a mistake there and should have said “if you are passionate about it”. It is too late to change it. Sorry for this remark, but I am a ‘grammar Nazi’ in my native language so I hate my mistakes in foreign languages.

@Beans, it is more less what I meant, just didn’t have enough time to develop my point. It can be discouraging if someone has struggled in the past and such pics only remind about the failure.
The pics seem to be more motivating for young, slim girls, who don’t have problems with obesity. On the other hand they can cause the false body image and the pursuit to perfection, because girls are not aware that the pics are strongly photoshopped and/or the models aren’t natural.

Quote:
when you can see a before and after picture and see a dramatic change.

Yes, I remember I read about it, too- that such pics are better as a motivation, as well as the quotes. Especially those, which tell you that you don’t have to be great at sport to start.

Nevertheless, it is always a pleasure to look at good-looking people. Especially women

You all know best (and I've learnt it here) that at the end of the day the motivation has to come from within us.

Another way is to force onself and after few weeks you’ll start liking it The power of habbit.
Post 13 IP   flag post

My friend Jason. He has never uploaded a selfie to any social media and the last profiler he had was a photo I took of him 3 years ago! Extremely humble and just loves to train!
Post 14 IP   flag post
So I'm heading to Paris on the 9th of June until the 12th. It's a birthday present for my girlfriend but I figure I will try and shoot something epic when I'm there. By shoot I mean photograph. I don't know where to start exactly, so I figured I'd ask here. What is the best place to seek out a bodybuilder in Paris to shoot with? If anyone can help that would be great! Here's a shot I took with my friend Lukasz. Sick condition!

Post 15 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
That beard. I can appreciate the commitment it takes to grow such a beautiful thing, and you captured it so gracefully!
Post 16 IP   flag post
340617 16 16
destitute