Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
German Volume TrainingSplit Advice

German Volume Training17731

West165 private msg quote post Address this user
I've always trained the same muscle group twice a week, but I've been cautious about giving my muscles enough time to recover. If I incorporated GVT into my routine, would I have time to recover?

Monday (GVT) Chest/Biceps
Tuesday (GVT) Back/Triceps
Wednesday (GVT) Legs/Shoulders/Abs
Thursday Chest/Biceps
Friday Back/Triceps
Saturday Legs/Shoulders/Abs
Sunday Off

The second set of muscle groups would have less volume such as 3x10. I've heard people can be sore for a week after GVT, is this sort of routine out of the question?
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@West165 it would work fine. I just would be wanting to shoot my self after doing 10x10 squats. Then having to do hamstrings, delts, abs.
Post 2 IP   flag post
West165 private msg quote post Address this user
I actually have to be careful with certain workouts. I'm avoiding squats and deads due to a nerve root impingement in my lower back and skoliosis upper back, but leg press doesn't seem to hurt too bad. Pretty good excuse to avoid 10x10 squats though! Will probably do shoulders before legs so I can still walk properly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I ran it once, but I think I took a day off every 4th day. I don't remember any real increases in doms, and I generally run routines with high frequency vs high volume.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Your volume, intensity or both is too high if you cant't recover when you hit your muscles twice a week.
And the more advanced you get, the more you should up your frequency, not the opposite, since the protein synthesis isn't elevated for as long in intermediate/advanced lifters as it is in beginners.
Also, GVT is a shit program, the intensity and frequency is too low.
Post 5 IP   flag post
340740 5 5
destitute