Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet AdviceIIFYMMacrosNewbieTraining Programs

New to IIFYM and decide to ask here17728

Kievdju private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Guys,
i have been lifting for 2 years (just lifting for fun, no nutrition) and have take a break from it about 3 months. i recently know about iifym, so i decided to use it.

im 19 years old, 171cm tall and weigh about 163 pounds. since the last half year, i've been eating so much and no motivation to train, so i gained a lot of fat and decided to cut (im around 20-23% right now). i workout once every 2 days (full body), and doing light cardio 3 days a week (actually, i bike to my college,4 miles)

i have calculated my macros and calories, put my daily activity set to "moderately active" and got 2777 calories.
right now, im eating at 2300 calories daily, 50% carbs, 25% pro, and 25% fat.
am i doing this right?

currently im using my dumbbell pairs to workout (the only gym has out of business) and only 44 lbs each (currently saving for heavier plates and barbell bar which is quite expensive here).
here is my current training plan:

DB Squat 4 sets x 10 reps
Leg Curl 4 x 10
DB Deadlift 4 x 10
Dumbbell shoulder press 4 x8
DB Row 4x8
Calf Raise (did i spell it wrong?) 3x15
Crunch 3x15
upright row 3x10
DB lateral raise 3x10
DB bench press 3x10
DB curl 3x8
DB triceps extension 4x8

i know it's not perfect and i don't even know if it's good, so any suggestions and critics are very much appreciated .

(im not a native english speaker, im sorry if there are mistakes there)
Post 1 IP   flag post
OXPerformance private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Kievdu,

Some macro calculators can be difficult to use and vary a lot!

What I would do is first sort out your protein and make sure that it's roughly 1 lb per bodyweight so roughly for you it would be around 163g of protein.

Then keep your carbs, fats and calories where they are for a week or so, keep weighing yourself and if you're losing weight, keep your calories and macros where they are.

If you're gaining weight think about dropping your carbs or fats, around 200 calories worth per day should be enough to start with, If you're weight isn't moving at all you might even want to do this anyway!

Just make sure your protein is high enough to preserve as much muscle as possible and use cardio to your advantage to expend calories without having to take away too much food!

Download the app called 'MyFitnessPal' if you haven't already, will make it easy to track all your foods, calories and macros!

Hope this helped!
Post 2 IP   flag post
@OXPerformance thanks! i used different apps to track macros though i'll try the apps later.
is my calories enough? i dont want to eat too low, because i heard that it cause plateau faster
Post 3 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Kievdju Have you been tracking your lifting ?? Did u put on much size ??
What changes have you seen in the mirror and scales ??
how long are you dieting ??
Post 4 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi i never track my lift back then, because i dont really care about it, i only lift because i like it .
size.. not too much unfortunately .
i dont see any changes yet at scales, but i see some improvement at mirror though
for diet, i just started at january (because last year i dont have much motivation to do anything beside being lazy).
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Kievdju I'd say theres a chance you still haven't expended your newbie gains which means the increase in lifting your body can experience a recomposition phase.
I would get on a program and record what your lifting and try progress week-to-week. That is a HUGE deal for beginners.

Did u ever track your calories before this ??
Post 6 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi if i can, i would, but unfortunately, with my current situation, i can't even get a heavier weight than this (no gym yet, because.. out of business). any suggestions?
no, i just recently track my calories. but before that, i've been eating much food (>3000 per day).

really sorry for the grammar/spelling mess :/
Post 7 IP   flag post
THat sounds miserable is there any chance to travel to a gym 30mins away or anything ??
It would be worth it if possible.
Add lunges, bulgarian split squats and weighted step ups.. they don't alot of weight to be difficult.

Slowly increase ur calories to find where your maintenance is.. so you know for future references. Also you do alot of cardio with cycling daily as is i'd personally cut back on additional cardio if your goal is to put on some size.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi there is one gym from where i live, but it takes 1 hour to get there [only have bikes over here], so i dont think it's effective.
I dont do cardio daily, only 3 times a week (personally, i dislike cardio).

Right now im trying to cut some fat first because of reason (big fatty here), then bulk after i get to reasonable bodyfat.

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it
Post 9 IP   flag post
340740 9 9
destitute