Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsSplit Advice

Leg Extension/Adductor/Abductor useless?17709

MizAlmie private msg quote post Address this user
A little confused and torn about the information that is out there on these exercises.

Some say they are "old school" and better exercises exist as good alternatives.
I've heard that they don't give the full benefit of working and isolating leg muscles; instead these exercises work the knee joint (extensions) and hip joints (add/abd).

Problem is I really want to make gains on my legs, and it seems that I can't handle more weight than I currently do for a squat or a lunge.

So I thought that these exercises including the leg press would supplement well.

Just want the nitty gritty: Are these exercises useless?
True or False?

Thanks
MA
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
How do you propose to work any muscle without actively moving a joint? I'm confused by this.

Re. those specific exercises, the inner/outer thigh machine is fine. It's a tool in the toolbox. Leg extensions not so much. They encourage anterior tibial translation without co-contraction of the hamstrings, which creates a ton of stress on the knee joint. I don't advise these for anyone. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi-
I didn't try to question whether or not I should be activating my joints in order to work a muscle.
I've read numerous contrasting opinions about these exercises and simply wanted clear the air.

The topic here are the leg exercises I mentioned in the subject line.

Don't inner/outer machines create as much stress on joints as you mentioned for the extensions?

I certainly don't feel co-contraction of hamstrings or quads during a add-abd movement.

Thank you for the information.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Of course you don't- they aren't contracting. Do you understand why it's essential to get that co-contraction when referencing the knee and why it isn't applicable to the hip joint? -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Please inform me.

I would figure the co-contraction is important because it protects the knee joint, correctly aligning the joints when performing an exercise, putting tension on both quad and hams, but why wouldn't it be the same for the same hip? I don't know.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
When you contract the quads, the don't just extend the knee joint, but because they insert on the tibia, the also pull it forward and away from the femur. What prevents the tibia from actually moving forward (this is called anterior translation) is the resistive force of the ACL in combination with the hamstrings, which both work to pull back and offset the translation. When you're performing leg extensions, your leg is in a fixed, and seated position, so the hamstrings are completely taken out of the movement, putting all of the stress of preventing forward movement of the tibia on the ACL.

The hip is a completely and totally different animal. Because it's a ball-in-socket joint, the same mechanics do not apply. There are also quite a few more muscles that actively support and stabilize the hip joint, the added surface area of the labrum for the head of the femur to articulate against, and the fact that the hip is structured to have more mobility and versatility than the tibiofemoral joint, which basically acts like a hinge. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks EK. I get it now! The translation that you have fully described above make sense and links to a conversation I had with a PT in the past.

Thanks again-
Post 7 IP   flag post
340735 7 7
destitute