Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsSplit Advice

Leg press footing variations!17707

SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I found this imag while looking for different footings.

Can anybody concur the correctness of the image as well as your personal input?

I tend to set up high and wide but I am now making the switch to low and narrow to target the outside of my quads more.

Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Inb4 Ek comes in and explains that the points of origin and insertion may slightly differ on the quads, the fact that they move the knee means the effect, if at all are negligible.

Or some shit like that with fancy scientific words. Your knee only bends and straightens in one plane of motion, thus making it difficult to place emphasis anywhere.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
I just position my feet where I would for my squat. Never have done calf raises on them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
I do low and narrow for the same reasons but after reading @NorIda 's response I feel I might be schooled by EK lol
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Your knee only bends and straightens in one plane of motion, thus making it difficult to place emphasis anywhere.

This is basically what it comes down to. Abducting or adducting the hips- which is what you're doing if you have a wider or more narrow stance- doesn't affect the quads, since the VMO and VLO do not cross the hip joint. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ahh lame. Is there a decent explanation as to why some footings are much easier/harder than others?

I did low and narrow today and was surprised with the difficulty for 12 reps that I could easily do 25+ with a higher and wide stance.

Thanks for the quick answers @eknight @norIda

While we're at it, any benefit to hypertrophy while pulling sumo vs standard footing for dead lifts?
Post 6 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
Ahh lame. Is there a decent explanation as to why some footings are much easier/harder than others?

I did low and narrow today and was surprised with the difficulty for 12 reps that I could easily do 25+ with a higher and wide stance.

Thanks for the quick answers @eknight @norIda

While we're at it, any benefit to hypertrophy while pulling sumo vs standard footing for dead lifts?

My first thought for why foot positioning feels differently would be due to leverage angles, not muscles used. But that's not backed by anything, that's purely an assumption.

Regarding deadlifts, I do sumo because of personal preference, it's easier on my lumbar, thus making more gains because I can up the frequency on literally everything else. Because idk about you, but if my low back is sore I'm less likely to go HAM because I don't want to get injured.

I do believe there are differences in glutes/hammie activation, in sumo/conv, but to what degree I'm not sure. Don't really care because I personally try not to overthink it that much.
Post 7 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Regarding deadlifts, I do sumo because of personal preference, it's easier on my lumbar

So damn glad I made the switch... my back is already thanking me after two weeks. I would definitely cosign on different activation because my hams have been sore in a whole new kind of way.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@NorIda I agree in not overthinking stuff, just figured a little discussion never hurt.
Post 9 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Not looking to start and argument, but just my 2 cents . . ..

I've been doing leg press lately to get some extra volume on legs.

I started with feet in the top half of of the platform and toward the outside edge. I felt the worst soreness in my adductors and glutes. Last time I moved feet to about shoulder width more toward the middle of the platform. It gave me much more soreness in my quads and less in adductors and glutes. My experience seems to be in line with the examples in the OP.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ yes, but you're talking about the glutes, adductors, etc., not preferentially targeting VMO or VLO. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight Yes, true. My quads were more sore overall. Not just a specific part of them.
Post 12 IP   flag post
340740 12 12
destitute